Google Plans to Unveil PC Operating System

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,530580,00.html

thumbsup2.gif

Great. Google already has access to all your data when their toolbar is installed... now it will be even easier for them to search your stuff, push advertising, etc.

Has anybody heard of the cost of this operating system?
On one side you have Ubuntu which (for the most part) is free.
On the other side you have Microsoft.
I'm curious where google will fit in.

Old news. It doesn't take much to imagine Android jumping from smart phones to netbooks.

But I find it highly doubtful that it will go beyond netbooks any time soon. If I were a Microsoft investor, i wouldn't worry much... yet.

If you want a good desktop operating system, just install Linux. It's much, much better than Microsoft, mostly because Linux is open-source (the code is not a secret, but openly available), which means millions of smart people across the globe can contribute to the code to improve it and find code glitches and provide fixes. So Linux has much better quality control than Microsoft. Microsoft's own internal investigation in the 1990's determined that the company can't compete with Linux on a quality control basis.

The Linux operating system is faster, more stable, and more secure than Microsoft. Microsoft's operating systems are so poorly designed that they require huge amounts of computing resources in terms of CPU usage . Linux is so well designed by the millions (or hundreds-of-thousands) of smart people around the globe that it requires far less in the way of CPU usage. It's not always nagging the CPU for more, more, more like Microsoft.

Linux is a very well-designed engine. Microsoft is like a Yugo.

You'll probably want to install the easiest and most popular version of Linux called Ubuntu Linux, available at Ubuntu.com , and totally free of course. Kind of amazing that the free operating systems like Linux and BSD are light years ahead and much more advanced than the non-free operating systems.

By the way, the Apple OS is based on FreeBSD. You gotta pay for it because Apple overlays its own proprietary GUI over it, but the times the Apple OS has had problems, they've been related to Apple's free overlay, not the FreeBSD underneath which runs the thing ;-)

Last edited:
If your on the internet there is no privacy.

I think many have tried to challenge MS and failed miserably (if statistics are any indication). Google has a reputation to achieve the unthinkable, and so far they have succeeded in just about any project they've undertaken.

I like MS, but I also like Google.

Originally Posted By: Built_Well
....the times the Apple OS has had problems, they've been related to Apple's free overlay, not the FreeBSD underneath which runs the thing ;-)

Umm, I meant to say the problems have been related to Apple's closed source overlay.

By the way, I've noticed that lots of people unfamiliar with Linux seem to think it's strictly a command line OS. In actuality, Linux has awesome GUIs that make it look just like Microsoft Windows--only better :)

Originally Posted By: DragRace
I think many have tried to challenge MS and failed miserably (if statistics are any indication).

If statistics are any indication, Microsoft has failed miserably, not Linux and Unix. I'm not an expert by any means when it comes to computers, but there are 2 general uses of OS'es:
Desktop environment
and
Server environment

As servers, Linux and Unix far-and-away outnumber Microsoft. Yahoo, for instance, uses FreeBSD (a Unix OS). Your bank, NASA, and nuclear power station are not going to install Microsoft servers for mission critical applications. They use Unix and Linux servers.

Now on the desktop for the general public, true, Microsoft currently outnumbers Unix and Linux, but still Unix and Linux gain more users every year. They aren't going way. They're a pesky thorn in Microsoft's closed-source side, and they're gaining every year. Look at Apple. They realized their old closed-source OS's were junky, and adopted FreeBSD beginning with OS X (or was it OS 9?--I don't know much about Apple OSes). When you run Apple, you're basically running FreeBSD, with Apple's overlay, of course. So right there, UNIX and Linux made huge inroads on Microsoft, when it comes to counting the number of home users. The rumor is that Microsoft is also thinking of adopting UNIX or Linux for future OSes, and overlaying its own GUI on top, just like Apple did.

I haven't used that Microsoft junk on my home desktop since the 1990's. I prefer the best :)

I guess that's why I'm also trying RLI Bio-Syn oil in my car, Red Line, Amsoil, and others. It's fun using and trying the best stuff. That's also why I bought a Toyota [chuckle]. Okay, you got me: Toyotas aren't fast like Linux, but they are reliable like Linux :)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Great. Google already has access to all your data when their toolbar is installed... now it will be even easier for them to search your stuff, push advertising, etc.
When the O/S freezes instead of getting a BSOD like in windows you will get Google Ad's that suggest repair shops and/or places to buy a new computer.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Built_Well
If you want a good desktop operating system, just install Linux. It's much, much better than Microsoft, mostly because Linux is open-source (the code is not a secret, but openly available), which means millions of smart people across the globe can contribute to the code to improve it and find code glitches and provide fixes. So Linux has much better quality control than Microsoft. Microsoft's own internal investigation in the 1990's determined that the company can't compete with Linux on a quality control basis.

The Linux operating system is faster, more stable, and more secure than Microsoft. Microsoft's operating systems are so poorly designed that they require huge amounts of computing resources in terms of CPU usage . Linux is so well designed by the millions (or hundreds-of-thousands) of smart people around the globe that it requires far less in the way of CPU usage. It's not always nagging the CPU for more, more, more like Microsoft.

Linux is a very well-designed engine. Microsoft is like a Yugo.

You'll probably want to install the easiest and most popular version of Linux called Ubuntu Linux, available at Ubuntu.com , and totally free of course. Kind of amazing that the free operating systems like Linux and BSD are light years ahead and much more advanced than the non-free operating systems.

By the way, the Apple OS is based on FreeBSD. You gotta pay for it because Apple overlays its own proprietary GUI over it, but the times the Apple OS has had problems, they've been related to Apple's free overlay, not the FreeBSD underneath which runs the thing ;-)

I like Linux, but here is what is epic fail about it. I've used it on and off(get tired of an OS and just switch around). It's open source, which is great, everyone can help in its creation etc. This works because Linux is a relatively small market. If Linux were to become the mainstream OS that Windows is, that open source nothing is a secret thought process is getting tossed out the Window. People will have even more free reign to cause harm on a system.

I've used Linux as a replacement OS and its fine for day to day tasks etc. But if you use your PC for anything more than surfing, productivity apps then its quite hard to use. I've managed it for a year using Wine etc for gaming, running a Virtual Box install of XP to synch my Zune and use some apps that aren't quite there under Nix, getting there but not quite.

Ubuntu and Suse did a fantastic job of making Linux more friendly and easier to use, and I think with Google jumping in, things will become quite solid. They will have the foundation to possibly push forth a 1 distro standard which is what Linux really needs to take off. To many distro's means no real compliance standard for software, packages etc.

The thing I really can say is that Windows has NEVER given me grief, never really experienced issues. If you know what your doing, the OS rarely will give problems. The same can be said with Linux. If you do not know what your doing you will have problems with both OS's. People that tend to complain are people who typically get frustrated quickly when attempting to accomplish a task with a PC.

BSOD's, Error messages etc are few and far between, as an IT pro I myself never encounter them, working on family computers etc, client computer's its all negligence. Death by dust, Heat, a full HDD, a million viruses on a machine.

Much like people buying a car and not doing maintenance on it.

Last edited:
Microsoft is slowly going the way of GM.

Microsoft stock hasn't moved in a decade.

They're losing users to Linux and Unix everyday.

If Microsoft survives the next 10 or 20 years, it will be because they adopt open-source Linux/Unix like Apple has.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I hate spam, but I love effective, well targeted advertising. If their access to personal browsing habits means that I can actually buy hard-to-find things more effectively, or advertise my consulting services more effectively, then I'm all for it.

The lack of targeted, usage appropriate information is one of the biggest "frictions" (drags) on our economy. If Google is in the position to counter that, then they are in the driver's seat.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/introducing-google-chrome-os.html

This sounds very interesting - Google always dreams big, but this is something that could really change the way people view open source and actually make the move away from MS operating systems something that the 'average' home user might consider. They're really putting it out there at the right time. If it's a quality product when it's brought to market, they could really deal a heavy blow to Microsoft. It would be a kick in Microsoft's weakest area at a time when they're still on the ground, recovering from the Vista failure.

This shall be interesting. I've got machines running Linux, Vista 64-bit Ultimate, Windows XP Pro and Mac OS X... time to create another partition on my old system I guess.

It is amazing to me that if Microsoft spies on its customers the Microsoft haters all come out of the closet but if Google spies on people (and there is some evidence that they have) everything is okay. So now we put a Google operating system on our computers? People are immediately ready to put the Google operating system on their computers. How do you know if it will be any good? No thanks. I will not be first in line.

And then you have the Linux fanatics immediately coming out and encouraging people to use desktop Linux operating systems. Linux has never been able to compete as a desktop operating system. The Linux crowd cannot even develop drivers so that a person could use their hardware (photo printers, scanners, etc.) with the operating system. I would not be able to run my photo printer and my scanners with any trashy Linux operating system. Yes I know about WINE. If I have to run Windows to have compatibility why even use Linux? Even Apple has Boot Camp so that people can have compatiblity with software and hardware by being able to run Windows in addition to Mac OS X.

Only two successful DESKTOP computer operating systems I am aware of are the various versions of Windows and Mac OS X. Some people still use the old Classic Mac operating systems. Note to the soon to arrive Linux fanatics: I am talking desktop computer operating systems-not SERVERS! Everybody knows there are Linux servers.

Don't believe it? Well, Microsoft still has some 89% market share the last time I checked. Apple has about 8% to 10% market share. Linux DESKTOP has about 1% market share. The figures speak for themselves. Sure Linux can work for some people but Linux does not work for me. If Linux was so great the figures would be reversed. And please don't tell me about next year, or the year after that, or the year after that.

This Google operating system may be nothing more than a glorified Linux desktop operating system. Who knows. I do know I will not be the first to give it a try. If by some miracle it actually turns out to be great then we can all switch to it. But you try it first.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
It's funny when people get all riled up about something they don't know much about.

Exactly! People know nothing about this as of yet,but yet they wanna know it all,quite hilarious
crackmeup2.gif

Well, I know a little about it. It is supposed to be based on Chrome, Google's web search engine. I know about Chrome and I have tried it. The Google operating system will be offered on netbooks. It is supposed to make it easier for people to use web-based applications of various types that Google has had a hand in developing.

I don't trust Google. There is evidence that they spy on people's web searches. And I don't much trust web-based applications. I would rather run Photoshop and Microsoft Office on my own computer, and not have somebody somewhere on the internet be able to check out what I am doing. When people found out that Microsoft might be spying on them people went crazy. Why no anger at Google? I am not doing anything wrong but I don't want everything I do to be in somebody's data bank somewhere. But that is just me. Maybe some people would like for all of their personal information to be in online data banks.

I used to use the Google web search engine most of the time. Since Microsoft came out with Bing I am using Bing almost exclusively. If Google can't beat Microsoft in web search engines why would they be able to beat Microsoft in operating systems?

I don't own a netbook. I don't take a computer with me when I go somewhere to take photographs. I can work on the photographs at home. A netbook has limited usefulness. I can work on my photographs using Photoshop at home without anybody putting everything I do into a data bank somewhere.

Now I am not a diehard Microsoft fan. Microsoft has always been nice to me whenever I have had any dealings with the corporation. But Microsoft could use some competition and if a new operating system came along that truly was better than Windows we would all be switching to it-including me. No such operating system has come along. How do I know that? Microsoft is still about 89% market share for desktop operating systems. The only real competition of any kind that Microsoft has is Apple. Apple is able to compete because a person can actually do something with an Apple Computer.

Until somebody somewhere comes out with an operating system as user friendly as Windows and with the software and hardware compatibility (no excuses) of Windows it is no sale to me.

I will not be first in line to try out some unproven operating system. I remember all the time I wasted trying out Linux years ago (before most people here probably had tried it) and I remember all of the nonsense DreamTime alternative reality garbage at the Linux websites.

I would probably still be using Apple computers if they were not so expensive, but today it is possible to run Mac OS X on a Windows computer. But I can run Photoshop quite well in Windows (just some different keystrokes) and I see no need to run Mac OS X at all. Heck, I was getting better prints in Vista than in Mac OS X. Unless an operating system supports my photo printers and scanners it is of no use to me. And I want my software supported also. If I have to run Windows in some operating system to get that software and hardware support (WINE, Boot Camp) what is the point? Might as well run Windows.

None of these people have shown yet that they can compete with Microsoft. Except for Apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back