Status
Not open for further replies.
Not much to look at. Just thought I'd post it:

2009 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax 6.6L
3000mi on Shell Rotella 15w-40
8000mi on unit.
0 oil added.

Comments:
The high wear metals and silicon are not unusual in the oil from your new Duramax. The wear
metals are due to break-in of new parts, while silicon is from sealers and sand-casted parts. Universal
averages show typical wear metals for this type engine after 6,500 miles use. We expect your engine will
look that good or better in two or three more oil changes. The 6.6L Duramax tends to wear very nicely, and
yours will too once it's past wear-in. The trace of fuel is probably from idling. Low insolubles show normal oil
filtration. Soot levels were okay. Check back in 3K-miles.

Aluminum: 3
Chromium: 1
Iron: 21
Copper: 63
Lead: 6
Tin: 2
Molybdenum: 2
Nickel: 0
Manganese: 1
Silver: 1
Titanium: 0
Potassium: 9
Boron: 20
Silicon: 22
Sodium: 6
Calcium: 2130
Magnesium: 18
Phosphorus: 977
Zinc: 1127
Barium: 1

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F: 74.1
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C: 14
Flashpoint in °F: 410
Fuel %: TR
Antifreeze %: 0
Water %: 0
Insolubles %: .4

I was switching over to Amsoil 5w-40, and was just curious how the Shell was doing. Pretty much what I expected, but you hardly ever see the new stuff on here.

Last edited:
Why switch to Amsoil when the Shell is and will continue to do more than its job of protecting your engine? Nice report. No TBN?

Welcome, BigJerm7. I see you're new, at least to posting. Have you lurked here for a while?

"Synthetic" fluids have their pro's and con's, as do all products.

If you're going to do short to moderate OCI's, there's just not much (if any) call for a synthetic fluid, especially in a Dmax. The Dmax has a history of turning in stellar UOAs up to 10k miles with quality HDEO products. Your area does not necessitate "extreme temperature condition" considerations regarding synthetics.

The call is yours to make, and I encourage you to do what makes you feel most comfortable. If you use synthetic because you "want" to, that's fine. Just don't believe for a second that it is "needed" for the long, healthy life of your truck. If you're convinced that Amsoil will be your choice, consider their EaO filter as well, and enjoy the addition of their excellent warranty coverage. Also, consider one of our site sponsors to purchase from.

The UOA you posted is very typical of low mileage Dmax's. My Dmax has just past 18k miles on it, as an MY '06. I have not done a UOA on it yet, because I saw little sense in finding out what we all know; break-in shed's more metals, especially Cu in a GM product. I'm going to start my UOAs at 20k miles; hopefully it will have settled down by then.

I only did the short OCI on the Rotella because I wanted to switch to synthetic. I will run the Amsoil for at least 10k.

I am already using the EaO filter, but thanks for the advice. I purchased a preferred customer membership from Amsoil because I run it in my motorcycles and my wifes vehicles.

I only posted the UAO for $hits and giggles. Just wanted to see what the oil looked like since I had already done the swap. I've never done a UOA before and I plan on having this truck for a very long time. I'd like to see the UOA's from start to finish.

Save your money if you're only going to run the Amsoil for 10K miles unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket.

Congrats on your truck. It's an absolute towing machine.

BigJerm7 -

Please post up your UOAs as you progress. I keep a diesel engine oil study going, and I use them as they are posted to add to the study. The data is alwasy helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back