Mobil 1 vs. K&N - can anyone confirm a difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like they're both made by Champion and the internals appear identical. However, I've been reading that the K&N provides for more flow, and thus higher oil pressure, whereas the M1 filter's a bit better but will reduce oil pressure a smidge.

I've been running K&Ns on my Z06 for years, but I recently slammed it on coil-overs and don't like that nut extending below my oil pan waiting to get ripped off so I went back to M1.

I've noticed a drop in oil pressure and figure it's from the M1 filter vs. the K&N?

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited:
I can't help you with the flow differences between the two you mentioned and I'm sure many others will chime in with the correct info.

But, keep in mind you can use the Amsoil EAO or Royal Purple filters with a full synthetic media that will filter AND flow as well or better than the other two you mentioned. Neither have the nut on the bottom.

I highly doubt the difference in oil pressure between all filters mentioned could be measured, especially with a stock oil pump that's not in bypass.

I have a high volume LS4 pump on the car... relief spring opens at 52psi.

Who makes the filters for Amsoil?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brian_Bowers

Who makes the filters for Amsoil?

I might be wrong but I think Donaldson does.

They are not even close the M1 element is a better filtering and the K@N filters not as small so it flows better. Is there room to do a real nice remote mount filter? Spmething to think about. Is this in a Vette?

K&N media is phenollic resin impregnated cellulose. The M1 media is a synthetic fiber blend. ( or they were last I knew )

I am with BuickGN on this one. I would opt for a Royal Purple filter over either as they are a better filter. Only a couple $$$ more. I have swapped from K&N to RP filters. Of course I have a local PepBoys and if you don't then the other 2 are good filters as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brian_Bowers

That seems like a pretty low relief psi setting for a "high volume oil pump" - is that the stock pump on the LS4? The actual oil volume that goes through the filter/engine flow circuit will be determined by the flow resistance of that circuit, the viscosity of the oil and the relief setting of the oil pump.

If the filter/engine circuit can only flow say 5 gpm of hot oil (5w-30 @ 200 deg F) at the pump relief pressure of 52 psi, then it will still flow 5 gpm at 52 psi even if the oil pump can put out 15 gpm at 52 psi - the excess 10 gpm would be spit back to the sump through the relief valve.

And yes, it’s true that if the pump is not in pressure relief mode then you will never see any difference in engine psi reading (your oil press gauge) with a more restrictive oil filter on the car. The only time you will ever see a drop in engine psi reading with a more restrictive filter (and using same oil brand, viscosity) is when the pump is operating at it’s relief pressure (higher RPM and/or colder oil temps).

Anyway, I've got a 02 Z06 (LS6) and have run AC Delco Ultragaurd, Amsoil, WIX and NAPA Gold filters and have never seen any difference in my oil pressure readings - hot or cold oil at all ranges of RPM when compared with each filter.

Yeah the LS4 pump is the OEM stock pump on the LS4. The original design has a 52psi oil relief, but that part was replaced with one with a 42 psi relief. The internal gerotor is larger and very similar to a Melling pump but much less costly.

Lately I'm seeing 35-40 hot idle (205-210 oil temp), 57-62 hot cruise (no load approx 2k rpm), and 80-84 at WOT. This is using Mobil 1 5w30.

Prior to last week I was running Amsoil 5w40 and a K&N filter and was seeing mid 40s hot idle but similar pressures at cruise and WOT.

Now I know the switch back to 5w30 makes a difference.

So basically what you're saying is that unless the pump is in relief the pressure will be constant because the flow is determined by the capacity of the circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back