John Deere 214

Status
Not open for further replies.
just bought it today. needed something to replace my cub 1650. i changed the oil with mobil 1 TDT 5w-40 and flushed, filled the transaxle with mobil 1 75w-90 gear oil. did a compression test, the old kohler k-321 has 125 lbs. of compression pressure.

Nice! What year is your 214? Got the big boy 14hp one lung Kohler. I think the last year for the K-series was something like 1988. My 1979 model year K241 cracks me up. Plenty of power, but spools up like a commercial wood chipper when you throw the coals to it. Burr...wuhhhh...wahhhhh! Totally different than my Command 20hp V-twin for sure. Next oil change I plan to run 15w40 in my K241. Same oil as in the hydraulic drive system on my little Case 220.

Joel

I found my mom a 210 a few years ago well kept and the 10HP Kohler was just gone through by a guy that had a gravely and kohler dealership years ago. They are well built heavy mowers.

BTW unless you really back off the exhaust lash adjustment you won't get a true compression reading. These old K series had ACR and they just crack the exhaust valve a bit on compression stroke. Untill about 1000 RPM the ACR is working and its a bit faster than the starter will usually turn it.

Check out Good John Deere mower fourm and info

it's a 1987. i did the compression check by turning the engine over backwards to defeat the acr as per my kohler manual. thanks for the comments guy's, it looks to be a keeper.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
it's a 1987...

Now that's a find! Last of the Kohler K series and last of the old school heavy duty John Deere GT's.

Joel

Yeah I have my grandpas john deere 110 that is still running the original kholer K181S after 42 year. It just keeps going and still cuts the grass great.

Anyways I found a spreadsheet that list catalog numbers so you can look up parts at jdparts. The catalog number listed for the 214 is 1473.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back