Motorcraft premium gold coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superbuick96

Site Donor 2023
The Motorcraft/Ford Premium gold coolant is supposed to be good for 100,000 miles. REally?. Ive had my Ranger for 5.5 years and am thinking of flushing it. Currently have 36,000mi.. Should I leave the coolant be for awhile or flush it? Price isnt an object, the local Ford dealer charges 12.00 for a gallon of 100% coolant.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
THat's cheap after 5 years change it.
Thats what I was thinking. The dealership said the Motorcraft prem gold is all its cracked up to be. And suggested not to flush it untill the 10year/100k. I think I'll flush it though before winter. My plans for this Ranger is for it to be the last running Ranger on earth.....Not literaly but, Im keeping it for a loooong time!. As a daily driver for about 5 more years. Then it will sit in the drivway and be used when its called upon for a chore. At that time I want something that gets 30+mpg....

Last edited:
12 bucks, 100% G-05 from the dealer, really not too bad. G-05 can be difficult or impossible to find, especially in auto parts stores and department stores like Wally.

If it were me I'd go with what my OM says for maintenance change. I believe you can trust what it says, in addition to mileage, it should give you a years time frame too.

But, since you are asking, you sounds like you want to change it. Then you need to decide if you want to just do a radiator flush and fill. Or, a flush series to get the block flushed out The former is easier, the latter more complete. Some say since you are already have G-05 in there you could do the rad flush. I'd do the other for POM.

Good luck
J

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
Everything I read said 5 years is the cutoff. Thats what I did in my Vic. I actually used Zerex G-05, its the same stuff.

5 years or 60K miles to play it safe.

Originally Posted By: George7941
Do you stil have Dexcool in your Blazer or have you changed to another coolant?
I flushed and filled the Blazer with Dexcool 6 months ago..No problems to report

Originally Posted By: sayjac
12 bucks, 100% G-05 from the dealer, really not too bad. G-05 can be difficult or impossible to find, especially in auto parts stores and department stores like Wally.

If it were me I'd go with what my OM says for maintenance change. I believe you can trust what it says, in addition to mileage, it should give you a years time frame too.

But, since you are asking, you sounds like you want to change it. Then you need to decide if you want to just do a radiator flush and fill. Or, a flush series to get the block flushed out The former is easier, the latter more complete. Some say since you are already have G-05 in there you could do the rad flush. I'd do the other for POM.

Good luck
J

Yeah I was shocked, he gave me the price they sell to the mechanics for. Ya know before they tach on 30% for a parts charge when having your vehicle serviced there.....Anyway I think the interval in the manual is 10yr./100,000 mi. Which just seems like a long time. Especially seeing how Ive had the Ranger 5.5 years and have 36k on it now....So yeah I'll probably Flush the entire system soon, cant hurt anything....

Originally Posted By: Superbuick96
I flushed and filled the Blazer with Dexcool 6 months ago..No problems to report

Chalk one up for the pro-Dexcool side. We have a debate raging on, in another thread, about the merits of Dexcool.

In my owners manual for my Escape and Montego, it says that the factory fill of M/C gold is good for the 5yr/100 (or 105 for the escape), but once you change it, it should be changed at a lesser interval (3yr 36 or 60K, I can't remember). Wonder why they say that?

The Premium Gold lists for 11 bucks/gallon which is much cheaper than Zerex G05 around here (17/gall). Hopefully the dealers around here won't mark it up too much when I need some..

Chalk one up for the pro-Dexcool side. We have a debate raging on, in another thread, about the merits of Dexcool.

George- do you have AIDS?

No?

Well... I reckon that means it ain't real, huh?

Originally Posted By: onion

No?

21.gif

Anyway.....as far as the Blazer goes my friend is a Audi/Porsche mechanic, but drives the same year Blazer I have. (no a Audi/Porsche mechanic cant afford to drive what he works on) He said to go with the Dexcool. Neither one of us have ever had a problem.....

My Dad had a '97 Blazer. When he got rid of it in '02, the dexcool was throroghly sludged.

Who'da thunkit?

I used to have a 2001 Blazer and never any problems with Dexcool. Seems the problem with Dexcool is if any air gets into it. The six years I had my Blazer, I lived on the Blazer forums and most people had no problems with it. One thing that everyone said was to make sure you keep a good radiator cap on your vehicle that use Dexcool. As soon as any air gets into system, it starts to sludge.

Originally Posted By: kd3yt
One thing that everyone said was to make sure you keep a good radiator cap on your vehicle that use Dexcool. As soon as any air gets into system, it starts to sludge.

Gee, since I changed my '06 Chevy Silverado 5.3 from Dexcool to G-05, I never worry about my radiator cap. For that matter, I never worry about air in the cooling system. In fact, I don't worry about it at all any more.

Dexcool anyone?

When dexcool works, it works great...when it fails, its an epic failure.
That said, there seems to to be so many contingents when using dexcool "its great as long as no air gets in" "its great if your head gaskets are compatible" etc...

I would rather use a coolant that is great all the time. That said, I have a Ford...so no Dexcrap for me :).

Ford specifies 5 years or 100k factory fill, and then 3yrs or 50k upon refil. The shortened refil requirment is due to varying water quality. Some people might use distilled, some might use tap....Ford can't really control which, so they take this into account in the owners manual.

I would flush the system on your Ranger, then every year or so, drain and refil the radiator with a fresh coolant mixture. This should allow you to avoid a complete flush in the future.

No?

It is real, all right. What it means is that I don't indulge in high risk activities like intravenous drug use or unprotected sex and therefore I don't live my life worrying about catching AIDS. Similarly I don't worry about Dex-sludge because I don't neglect the cooling system.

Originally Posted By: ZGrider
Dexcool anyone?

Count me in.

I don't worry about Dex-sludge because I don't neglect the cooling system.

No, you just have to watch your Dexcool like a hawk, so you don't get proven wrong. Nothing like have to change "Long-life" antifreeze every 2 years long before its recommended service interval just to say you "never have problems with Dexcool."

Keep up the anal-retentive work -- you want to be right about coolant. The rest of us coolant system non-maintainers will continue to use G-05 and have no worries for 5 full years per flush.

Goodbye brown Deathcool sludge, Hello G-05 goodness.

No?

It is real, all right. What it means is that I don't indulge in high risk activities like intravenous drug use or unprotected sex and therefore I don't live my life worrying about catching AIDS. Similarly I don't worry about Dex-sludge because I don't neglect the cooling system.

Originally Posted By: ZGrider
Dexcool anyone?

Count me in.

Yup! Me too!

You got to love the Dexcool haters!
LOL.gif

Personally I can not seeing why anyone would let their cooling system go 5 years WITHOUT checking it - regardless of what coolant they use! But to each their own.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back