Grease that won't separate and cause leaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a DIYer who has a manual grease gun for the large 14 oz. tubes of grease. I notice when the gun sits up for a while the grease separates and then the next time you use it a thin oil leaks out. How can I avoid this leakage? I have been using high quality but non synthetic grease up til now. Which of these greases offered by AZ is the way to go? I see at Auto Zone Mobil One grease for 6.99 and Green Grease for 7.99....
A second problem is with the gun itself. When I clip it on the frease fitting, it stays on great. Then when I try to pull it off, it won't release the fitting I have to really twist and pull it hard to get it off. I feel like I am going to strip out the fitting. What is the best replacement for the gr. gun to have it stay on but not relaease ? It has the rubber hose attachment on it.

I found an old thread on Mobil 1 synth. grease. It said the grease was red and did separate. It left red puddles where you hung up the gr. gun. Anyone have a simular experience? Also found a Green Grease thread and they were concerned that they comldn't find spec.s from the manuf. and the web site was too flashy. But does it separate and drip between uses?

I've had problems with mobil grease separating and leaking from my gun. I believe it was the worst I have come across. All greases will probably separate some when left in a grease gun for an extended period. I am presently trying a Chevron grease with pretty good results so far. I have a Sears gun, but I have seen good reports on guns made by Lincoln.

Last edited:
Oil separation is common complaint I hear about Mobil grease, especially their red synthetic grease. Removing the spring pressure from the grease gun barrel will help, but with enough time even the tubes of grease sitting on the shelf will probably show signs of oil separation.

If you are researching different greases, check the specifications for the Oil Seperation (ASTM D-1742) test results. 0.0% is the best you can expect in this test. You may have to ask the manufacturer for this information if it isn't listed on their spec. sheet.

I would have thought synth grease would be the least likely to separate, esp. Mobil 1 red. I am disapointed. I thank you all for the info and ideas. I am tired of getting under my car and hitting the 11 fittings on my Impala SS and find a puddle of light oil on my Tee shirt. Any users of the new Green Grease out there?

I have never used the "green grease" but I just sent them an email asking for additional information. They seem to have a great marketing department, hopefully they have some information to backup the claims.

When storing grease, keep it up-right instead of storing it on its side. This may help the grease from separation.

Like Gregory says, release the pressure. Simply pull back and lock the plunger when you're finished using the grease gun. As far as I know, nothing else really works. I use 4 greases: Delo LC#2, Mystik Hi-Temp LC#2, Amsoil Moly LC#2, & Mobil 1. While the M-1 is the most prone to leak, that's not all bad. It separates from the carrier, which means the oil is doing its job. It's not the carrier base in a grease that lubricates, it's the oil. The bad thing is, if the oil leaks out badly, there's too little oil left in the gun to get the job done.
The Delo seems to bleed the least, and it's a good, heavy-duty grease...but it's not rated for really cold weather.

Thanks for the replies. I will pull the plunger as recommended. I will also store upright. That makes sense to me. I guess I have been too lazy or something. I am going to look for some of these rec. greases. I am surprised that no one has had any experiences with Green Grease. My favorite radio car guy, Sam Memmolo. has recommended it for a while.

Most greases will leak oil if you leave pressure on the grease gun. I worked in a machine shop for 23 years and saw this with all types of grease. I use M1 grease, with great success but don't leave pressure on the gun.
The shop where I worked rebuilt heavy equipment for steel related industry and often was used in high heat areas. Several companies required M1 greases because it held up so well in high heat areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back