Mobil 1 0W-20, 8,057 mi 2008 Mazda CX-9 3.7 L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil 1 does contain group V base oils. What kind and how much no one knows. You run the risk of throwing off the balance the oil already has by adding another ester into the mix IMO. Plus, you are using one of the best oils for keeping an engine clean.

Run it a few more times and if wear doesn't drop, which it should, try another oil.

Originally Posted By: buster
Tbn is 2.8. Oil had life left. FZ1 do your homework son! lol

Buster ,
I know there's no pat answer, but with a TBN of 2.8, what would be your best guess of how much life in that oil? In miles.

Originally Posted By: tig1

Buster ,
I know there's no pat answer, but with a TBN of 2.8, what would be your best guess of how much life in that oil? In miles.

Read here---> What is TBN

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: tig1

Buster ,

Read here---> What is TBN

Thanks Bill that was helpful. So we have to weigh wear metals to the TBN and come up with a good balance for OCI. Makes sense.

The way I read my UOAs and *IF* I have a TBN is that if the TBN is still above 1.0 and the wear metals are still ok, I'm good to go longer.

But if they (metals) are high I'd rather dump the oil. The oil I use for the most part is cheap so down the drain it goes. (that would be the recycle drain)

This way I can get the most out of my oil change $$. In my Corolla its around 7-7.5k with any SL/SM oil.

The Subaru seems to like conventional better than syn and depending on my next UOA, it may end up getting a 5w-40 oil..

On this UOA, I think that the fact the motor is still new and has seen an extended OCI has skewed the results..
21.gif

Bill

Why do folks dump on the maintenance dose of Auto RX? Okay, it may not be necessary but what harm could it possibly cause? He only wants to keep the engine clean..........I don't understand the objections here.

I plan to use the maintenance dose starting at 2500 miles in my ride.

Some call that a waste.

What is not needed is not needed.

Plenty of engines out there that have never seen AutoRX and seem to go hundreds of thousands of miles.

But last time I checked (and prob not too much longer) we are free to do what we want!

I would run Mobil 1 another time, if things don't improve switch to Amsoil or any one of the API SM conventional oils. 3oz of Rx is probably nothing that would interfere necessarily at that level so it's probably ok. This oil did not have much life left in it. Maybe another 2k miles IMO.

The oil interval was run from 6000-14000 miles. It will have higher metals due to break in that range. Usually the numbers will be down after 15000 miles.

I would avoid any additives in the oil.

Originally Posted By: Amkeer
The oil interval was run from 6000-14000 miles. It will have higher metals due to break in that range. Usually the numbers will be down after 15000 miles.

My experience with 3.5L V6 Toyota was different and I had way lower Fe (10ppm IIRC) from 1000-5000 miles. His Fe is way higher now than the 3000-6000 oil and looks like a constant wear of 7ppm per 1000 miles.

fe+cu+pb+al= even for break in its still way too high!!!

You need a couple 5k changes.

Filter worked well, and just enough tbn for a 10k trial after the engine breaks in (25k).

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Why do folks dump on the maintenance dose of Auto RX? Okay, it may not be necessary but what harm could it possibly cause? He only wants to keep the engine clean..........I don't understand the objections here.

I plan to use the maintenance dose starting at 2500 miles in my ride.

What is worse is how people think M1 does it all. I just had a friend accept a challenge of mine. He had a 2003 civic with 70,000 miles on it that had seen nothing but M1. I bet him he'd see compression increases in all cylinders after a clean/rinse run with AutoRX and some cheapo conventional. Lets just say I got my next case of autorx coming to me for free :)

Wow, quite a bit of debate over my results. I chose to run Auto-Rx since I read somewhere on this forum that it was good to use on newer vehicles to help with break-in particles. I did not have enough knowledge of chemistry to know that it wasn't a good mix with Mobil 1.

As far as the extended interval, I didn't see it that way. I followed the manual's recommended mileage interval. Plus, it allowed me to rotate the tires at the same time. I thought the Mobil 1 would be plenty strong enough to run the 7,500 miles. Due to a lack of attention, I did run about 500 miles over that planned interval.

This run will be for 5,000 miles to see how metals look at that point. I have Mobil 1 AFE in there now without any extra additives. Her commute is 25 miles each way with mostly highway with some stop and go. The stop and go occurs a good 15 miles into the drive, so the engine would be warmed up by that point.

Engine is still breaking in. Whether M1 is not controlling wear that well is a bit premature based on the miles.

Originally Posted By: Scott P
Wow, quite a bit of debate over my results. I chose to run Auto-Rx since I read somewhere on this forum that it was good to use on newer vehicles to help with break-in particles. I did not have enough knowledge of chemistry to know that it wasn't a good mix with Mobil 1.

As far as the extended interval, I didn't see it that way. I followed the manual's recommended mileage interval. Plus, it allowed me to rotate the tires at the same time. I thought the Mobil 1 would be plenty strong enough to run the 7,500 miles. Due to a lack of attention, I did run about 500 miles over that planned interval.

This run will be for 5,000 miles to see how metals look at that point. I have Mobil 1 AFE in there now without any extra additives. Her commute is 25 miles each way with mostly highway with some stop and go. The stop and go occurs a good 15 miles into the drive, so the engine would be warmed up by that point.

As a maint dose there is no problem with Mobil 1 and A-Rx. If you were using a full bottle of A-Rx during the clean phase Mobil 1 would not be a good choice of oil. Group III or dino oils work best with A-Rx clean and rinse phases. You can use a 3 or 4 ounce maint dose with any oil. Check their website for more info.

Originally Posted By: saaber1
Originally Posted By: ZZman
I agree with Bill.......

+1

+2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back