Dodge Grand Caravan - Coolant Type

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dodge Grand Caravan. What type of coolant should be in there? I dropped by Advance Auto and buddy working there suggested Prestone or Peak...All Makes/All Models (says on it...works with any type of coolant). I said thanks then promptly left.

What year? Late model will be G-05, not sold at AAP, AZ or O'R as far as I know.

Chart here might help, though G-05 would be best option, IMO.

btw, like your screen name. lol

J

Last edited:
2002 Caravan.

I think it is orange. I can't really see it so I dipped a string down and it came up orangis-ish, must be eh?

So shhould I go with Zerex DEX-COOL? Does it have to be Zerex or as long as it is orange?

Thanks.

If it is dex-cool it usually has a sticker saying dex-cool, or on your res the cap will say "coolant" ither in green or orange.

I can't tell you what coolant you have in there now. If it's the original coolant it should say in the owners manual. According to the Zerex chart it should be G-05 in a Chrysler/Dodge 2002.

It doesn't have to be Zerex. And, color is not a great indicator of what type of coolant it is because many brands use different colers for the same thing.

Whatever, if it were me, I'd do a distilled water flush series (several distilled drain and refills), to get the old stuff out. Then go with a concentrated(not50/50) coolant to 50% of system capacity and top off with distilled water.

G-05 though sometimes difficult to find, prolly best bet for you.

Your Caravan likely uses G-05, but I don't know for sure. Most Fords were using G-05 by 2002, but I don't know about Chrysler.

If your van does use G-05, find a Napa. They usually stock Zerex G-05. It is about $10-$15 a gallon.

Or you could check the local Chrysler and/or Ford dealer to get their price. On other thread, G-05 was going for 12 bucks at the Ford dealer.

Didn't Chrysler use G05 but with a pink dye for some reason? I think they also used Dex-Cool in some of their earlier models (not all of them)

Good luck finding Zerex G05, its pretty scarce and expensive in my area. Also keep in mind Peak Global Lifetime as it may be more available and cheaper, but doesn't have the 2EHA corrosion inhibitor in it...

I just did a rad flush on my 07 Jeep GC and was worried about going from the redish G05 to the Zerex's yellow. Zerex was easy to find at Walley's but dealership supply was out to lunch, hope I didn't make a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back