GM 4L60E Automatic Transmission Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Equipment & History: Unit has been highly maintained with regular and conservative flush intervals with M1 and Amsoil Synthetic since the original mileage was 7,000. The unit now has 182,XXX from me alone as one owner. Unit is full of 15,000 mile old AMSOIL and a new pan filter. Unit is bone stock, never internally repaired, stock radiator cooling, and no SES codes detected. Fluid shows no signs of water or burning (color looks and smells new).

Problem: When the vehicle is driven constantly over 1.5hrs+ on highways on intermittent occasions it will get stuck on 3rd gear and not upshift to OD/4th gear. I will have to break or accelerate a few moments for it to correct itself. I will detect the situation via engine overspeed/RPM on my tachometer. Again it takes a few moments for me to play with throttle and braking for it to finally upshift. The rest of the drive is usually okay but the incident shakes me up.

Application Up and down town on daily driver mode avg 20-30miles per day sub 45mph driving. No racing, I try to keep hard accelerations to minimum. Highway cruise control speed usage at 60-75mph.

Question Is this most likely an early sign of transmission failure via clutch/gear slippage?
Could this be a simple sensor related issue? Thanks, I did my best to maintain the unit the best I could. I would hope and am sure it can be nursed to the 200,000 mark. However if this situation is indicative of a massive failure ahead I rather know now. This way we can part with the car, or save up for a Jasper quality 2100$ reman unit or a budget neighborhood rebuilder if there is finances will not permit otherwise.

Thanks-

Last edited:
3-4 shift solenoid or TCC switch would be my guess.

Last edited:
I fixed this type of problem in my last 4L60E by changing over to a corvette style billet servo. You can install it without even pulling the pan or valve body. Takes about 30 minutes if you are mechanically inclined. All and all it was a good bang for the buck. The unit was trouble free for 20k more miles until the vehicle was wrecked
mad.gif
Good luck.

I had a similar problem with my 3t40 auto trans in my 96 Pontiac Sunfire. I think the governor was sticking. I used lubegard red and maxlife ATF. It has become "unstuck" for now. but I'm not holding my breath.

Originally Posted By: MrCritical
Year, make, and model.

Does it have an external fuel filter, and when was it changed?

Year/make/model would help, but the fuel filter has nothing to do with his transmission.

Sounds like an internal solenoid to me, too. Supposedly some of them are hard to replace (although I have no experience with this), so you should probably take it to the dealer or transmission shop.

Try this... IF it works, it won't cost you anything.
Disconnect the battery, unplug the connectors from your computer and clean inside the plugs with contact cleaner. Apply dielectric grease, reconnect and reconnect battery.

I'm suggesting this because the computer sends a signal to the trans to increase line pressure for 3rd and 4th. Maybe it also controls the 3-4 shift. If you had a slipping problem from low line rise, the trans would be junk already. It happens real fast.

If there is an external filter and it's partially clogged the tranny may not shift properly and the shift that will be most affected is 3-4 and 4-3.

I think it is the 3-4 solenoid. You can replace this yourself in the driveway. Requires you drop the pan, so be ready to change the 6 qts of ATF, filter, and a bottle of Lubegard will help keep the solenoids from sticking. Oh yes, you need a manual to tell you which solenoid is the 3-4 shift solenoid. The sol. will cost about 35.00 or so at the dealers.

Application: 1998 Chevrolet Camaro

Equipment: 3800 Series II MPFI V6 (RWD)

Okay I will look into a 3-4 Solenoid. Just as an upgrade against slippage anyone have a GM PN# for a Corvette Billet Servo? I emailed TCI Perf. Trans company and they never replied with this question. I want an upgrade but I rather not have something aggressive. I have been spoiled by soft shifts :) I ask for a PN# as i am reluctant to order just any C5 Vette part blindly. Otherwise I have heard good things about Lubeguard red. I am surprised that after using premium M1 & Amsoil full synthetic ATF that may not have been enough alone.

Thanks-

You can replace the 3-4 solenoid in the driveway or garage as I mentioned before. I don't think the ave. shadetree mech. can replace a servo the same way. I would take it to trusted and reliable auto trans mech. who works on 4L60E's frequently and get him to install the servo. I would try just the 3-4 sol. first. You may not need the servo, although I think it would be a nice upgrade for a 4L60E. As to red Lubegard, It is a great product and many expert auto trans rebuilders routinely put it in their rebuilt trans. However, if you are using the synth ATF's, I wouldn't think you would need it. To me, it is for those using regular ATF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back