Oil comes out rust colored?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I convinced my coworker to do a double ARX treatment on his car. Honda accord lx, 94 w/ 140K miles. Just starting his second rinse phase, 2K OCI for each stage, so in 4 oil changes w/ 10-30 penzoil, he said every time the oil came out looking very brown/rusty colored. Is this actually rust, or something else? Is there any oil he can run to clear this out or is it just SOL at this point on the engine?

Has the vehicle sat for a few years?
Is the anti-freeze nasty-looking also?
Both of these above could manufacture that oil color. I'm not sure what color the RX Treatment adds to the oil... if any.

The best solution is to have the oil analyzed by Blackstone or Butler if RX users here signal the oil color is wrong.

If the guy's the original owner & no contamination or vehicle storing has occured, I'd like to know what oil he has used up to this point to avoid ever purchasing it.

The car has always been used, never sat. He said the coolant looks greenish and 'seems' ok via visual inspection.

Alot of dissolved varnish can be a redish brown color. I would think that this should have dispipated by the end of the second rinse. What does the oil feel like. Slick and smooth or kind of gritty?

The change just prior to starting ARX was also rusty in color, so I don't think it was the ARX. He bought it from a friend, which has maintenance logs up to 87K, he bought it at 100K. He believe it was his daily driver and assumes he used oil change places. Iffylube, etc.

He also said that it didn't feel gritty at all, just colored.

Had rust colored oil during my auto-rx of my 113,000 mile honda. No longer present. Could see varnish inside oil filler before auto-rx. Now no longer present. It was definitely varnish.

Some gasoline brands may generate a reddish tint, in the crankcase oil, due to fuel loading or possible PCV system problems.

Is the drained oil still translucent with a reddish tint, or is it cloudy/milky and looks like rust colored paint?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back