Amsoil XL series(5W20) or Mobil 1 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: andrewg

No....I'm not upset. I just get tired of seeing some folks on this website get questioned as though they can't possibly be right when it comes to anything negative about Mobil 1. Hey....I have nothing really against the oil but I did hear more noise with it when compared to Amsoil XL. I've used many, many different oils and feel that I have some validity when I state my opinion about Mobil 1 and engine noise. No big deal though....if some folks simply think I'm a nut-case...well, then so be it.

Most people who once they try something else will find that Mobil 1 DOES make more noise than other oils.

The problem is most Mobil 1 users (and 99% of the Mobil 1 gang here) never try anything else so they don't know how other oils perform.

Then you "insult" their oil and watch the posts come out.
20.gif

Every time I've run Mobil 1 the engine is noisier and that has been with many motors.

I'll only run Mobil 1 IF it is priced low. There is NO WAY that I'd pay full price for it.

Between it and Amsoil XL if they both were the same price? Amsoil XL with no question. It is one of the best oils out there IMO.

You are not a nut case and I'm sorry the Koolaid drinkers made you feel like you were.
06.gif

Take care, bill

I swear that I here things too
45.gif

Seriously though I have heard lifter noise on certain engines quieted by leaving a premium synthetic to a dino and the other way around in certain engines. The acoustics of motor oil is an interesting topic, but unless the noise correlates to wear I'm not so worried. It is rather curious though to here that all of a sudden quiet or noisy signature when the only two factors manipulated in the situation were the motor oil and a filter!

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

No....I'm not upset. I just get tired of seeing some folks on this website get questioned as though they can't possibly be right when it comes to anything negative about Mobil 1. Hey....I have nothing really against the oil but I did hear more noise with it when compared to Amsoil XL. I've used many, many different oils and feel that I have some validity when I state my opinion about Mobil 1 and engine noise. No big deal though....if some folks simply think I'm a nut-case...well, then so be it.

Most people who once they try something else will find that Mobil 1 DOES make more noise than other oils.

The problem is most Mobil 1 users (and 99% of the Mobil 1 gang here) never try anything else so they don't know how other oils perform.

Then you "insult" their oil and watch the posts come out.
20.gif

Every time I've run Mobil 1 the engine is noisier and that has been with many motors.

I'll only run Mobil 1 IF it is priced low. There is NO WAY that I'd pay full price for it.

Between it and Amsoil XL if they both were the same price? Amsoil XL with no question. It is one of the best oils out there IMO.

You are not a nut case and I'm sorry the Koolaid drinkers made you feel like you were.
06.gif

Take care, bill

Thanks Bill....a little confirmation feels good! Brand loyalty is fine....but some take it so far that they become zombies of sorts.

Thanks Bill....a little confirmation feels good! Brand loyalty is fine....but some take it so far that they become zombies of sorts.

So true... And it does not help the image of the board....

But it is what it is. Hopefully people read through it. Most of the big koolaid drinkers get so "involved" that they end up getting banned.

Take care, bill

I used both in my 4.6 32 valve mach 1 and the Amsoil wins hands down in the noise department. On a cold start up much less clatter/piston slap noise with the Amsoil. That has been enough to give me no good reason to continue with Mobil 1 in any of my applications.

Every synth I`ve tried makes for a "noisier" engine over dino. Could it be like the other poster said,that synth oils are so pure and clean that they don`t "cusion" the valvetrain noise like dinos? Because after all,aren`t most synthetics "purified" oils,so to say?

Just a hunch,that`s all.

They're both good oils. You could flip a coin, go either way and it wouldn't be a mistake. If one seems/sounds to be working better, then go with that one. Every car, application, road condition, weather, maintenance, driver is different.

In my '08 Dodge, M1 0w20 was noisy, and PP 5w20 was noisier. Now running GC 0w30 - truck runs & sounds better than either of the two.

But...I have run several grades of Mobil 1 in several different vehicles (mostly German), including 10w30, 0w40, 5w40 ESP, 10w40 HM, & 15w50, and NEVER had any excessive valvetrain noise.

IMHO Mobil 1 makes some of the best mainstream synthetic oils available in thicker weights, but still not sold on their thinner oils.

Originally Posted By: opposite_locker
In my '08 Dodge, M1 0w20 was noisy, and PP 5w20 was noisier. Now running GC 0w30 - truck runs & sounds better than either of the two.

But...I have run several grades of Mobil 1 in several different vehicles (mostly German), including 10w30, 0w40, 5w40 ESP, 10w40 HM, & 15w50, and NEVER had any excessive valvetrain noise.

IMHO Mobil 1 makes some of the best mainstream synthetic oils available in thicker weights, but still not sold on their thinner oils.

I'm not sold on any 20wt. oil.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Every synth I`ve tried makes for a "noisier" engine over dino. Could it be like the other poster said,that synth oils are so pure and clean that they don`t "cusion" the valvetrain noise like dinos? Because after all,aren`t most synthetics "purified" oils,so to say?

Just a hunch,that`s all.

I had some noise issues using the M1 oil some time ago. After switching to Amsoil, you can hardly hear the engine run.

Originally Posted By: opposite_locker

If you have the MDS in that system you have to stick with a 20wt oil or you will cause damage to the system... If it's a regular non-MDS system then you can use whatever you are comfortable with.
thumbsup2.gif

Also just because one 20wt oil was noisy doesn't mean all 20wt oils will be, you might just have to experiment to find the right one.

I've been running the Amsoil 5W-30 ASL in my 4 cyl Tacoma, and it's had a noise issue from the minute I put it in.

The issue is that it's so quiet with the ASL that I can barely hear it running.
grin2.gif

Stevie, why would an MDS engine have trouble running a diff grade of oil than 5W-20? How would it cause damage?

The MDS system is dependent upon a certain oil weight as specifically stated in the manual in order to function correctly. Using a thicker grade of oil can cause a lack of lubrication to the system. There is a TSB from Chrysler on it. If your climate permits it, as straight 20wt is best for this application but a seasonal 5w20 will serve fine.

As for the ASL, I'm with you on the "It's Quiet" part!
thumbsup2.gif

OK, I had heard that, too, I was just hoping you knew exactly why it would cause engine damage. It's hard for me to imagine how it would, but I don't know everything, that's for sure
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
No one has used more M1 oils than I have ....

I've been using Mobil 1 since 1978 in multitudes of my family's cars and trucks.... I've also been UOA since then on it too. I've much confidence in the oil over those 31 years.

Quote:
f you have the MDS in that system you have to stick with a 20wt oil or you will cause damage to the system... If it's a regular non-MDS system then you can use whatever you are comfortable with.

Also just because one 20wt oil was noisy doesn't mean all 20wt oils will be, you might just have to experiment to find the right one.

4.7 liter - no MDS. I did try two premium synthetics in 20wt (M1 0w20 & PP 5w20) and experienced noise with both. Thought of trying Castrol GTX 5w20 since it is on the thicker side, but just jumped up to GC, which is a thick 30wt.

Honestly, I wish I could just run Delo 15w40 in this truck...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back