Engine Restorer vs Slick 50 vs Mobil 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings all!

I just donated my '93 Merc Sable (FORDead)although it's first engine AND trans were REPLACED at 160K miles the trans failed 160K on the 2nd and I didn't want to spend another $$$ on it. Bought a 97 Accord with 118K miles on it...a better car with that milage than the Merc was new.

Give me the scoop on what you think about the above products and how to drive this car a million miles.

Thanks!

Bob

Holy crap

No slick 50 EVER EVER
or Engine Restorer

Those equal engine devistation

Use Auto-RX to clean out the effects of Slick-50 and Engine Restorer.

First of all,
welcome.gif

Drop the idea of the Engine Restorer and Slick 50. Mobil 1 would be great for an OTC full synthetic oil.

smile.gif

SO far I added engine Restore to Phillips 10w-30 semi.Sm,Gf4,about a thousand milis ago,,,still no oil burning,very little engine noise at start,,,maybe Restore work,as Saturns burn,with a bad ring design,,,,135K ,BL

I for one have had great results with Engine Restore (ER) in my old junkers. I will bash Slick (SICK) 50 as a engine additive. I have heard that Slick 50 works good in transmisions that require a 10W30 motot oil as the gears will smash and then slide on the Teflon. I have not and will not try it. Most of the engines that I have used ER were very abused by the prevous owners and had above 120K mile. I am doing a test using M1 0W20 and Valvoline's new Synt oil additive that is loaded with moly. I will post my test for others to comment on. DaveJ

Greetings all!

And thanks for the responses so far. I did some reading on the Internet and found this out about Slick 50. The FTC forced them to stop making the claims about their product. However, the company has renamed itself XCel Engine Treatment and offers the same PTFE as before. However they now claim that they've worked out the bugs in its' formulation and that it leaves a 1-2 micron (or mm. ?) coating inside the engine. What I found interesting is that it clogs filters and causes engine damage. This occurs because once the engine warms up the particles expand and plug up the oil filter. In addition, by coating the operating surfaces it starves the engine of lubricant, particularly the rings. Engines that have been taken apart demonstrated this. This is very interesting reading on several websites.

Which brings about the next question:

Now that I understand the obvious risks of PTFE containing engine treatments are there any products that you would recommend besides Mobil 1?

Thanks for your input!

Bob

I also have read that Teflon expands under heat and even though the particles may be small enough to get through a filter when all is cold, that may not be the case when things heat up.

The alternative to Slick 50, who's ads claim it will stick to internal metal parts, is a product called TufOil whose claim is that Teflon will not stick to the sides of metal, just provide superior lubrication because of the circulating Teflon additive. You have to add 4 oz of TufOil with each oil change to replenish the Teflon.

This makes more sense, heck, they can't even get Teflon to readily stick to a pan (thus plastic utensils) and I did use it in a motorcycle for many miles.

Then I took a compression check and found both cylinders down 30 or so pounds from the initial compression test I made when the bike was newer.

I broke the engine down to find the cylinder walls shinny and polished.

I honestly feel this was a result of the Teflon getting into the cross-hatch groves and filling them up so that little or no oil could accumulate in them to provide lubrication to the now worn rings.

Now I have a new additive to all my engines. It is called Mobil 1
cheers.gif

The 97 Accord sound like a perfect candidate for Auto-RX to really clean it.

http://auto-rx.net/

Other alternatives might be to run a diesel engine oil for the extra detergents, Shell Rotella 5W-40 is at most Wal Marts

http://www.rotella.com/products/

I'd also run Chevron Techron injector cleaner through it.

http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/nafl/auto/content/fueladd.shtm

Or you could run Lube Control LC20 and FP60.

http://www.lubecontrol.com/

Another additive that seems to work well is Valvoline SynPower Oil Treatment, I ordrer it for $4.00 from NAPA part #066.

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=21

Mobil 1 5W-30 EP would be a great oil and Wal marts carry it. They also carry Pennzoil Platinum synthetic and it is possibly another good synthetic.

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Extended_Performance.aspx

Less expensive choices at Wal Mart would be Motorcraft 5W-30, Havoline 5W-30, Trop Artic 5W-30, Mobil 5000 5W-30 or Mobil 7500 5W-30.

Other premium products would include Amsoil Series 2000 0W-30 or Series 3000 5W-30, or Redline 5W-30.

http://www.amsoil.com/

http://www.redlineoil.com/

I've used, or will use, all of the products listed and I think they are all good.

Another good company is: http://www.specialtyformulations.com/

And I haven't had time to try their products.

I'd avoid Slick 50, Z-Max informercial stuff, and I'd use Engen Restore only in a really trashed engine that blowes blue smoke and can't be fixed by Auto-RX or LC20.

You may also want to look at synthetic lubes for the 5 speed transmission... from Redline, Amsoil, or Specialty Formulations.

If you have an automatic, I'd use Auto-RX and then change the fluid or I'd change the fluid and use Lubegard Red.

http://www.lubegard.com/automotive/trans_atf.html

Most additives are junk, IMHO...but the ones listed here are respected by most members here and seem to work well.

[ August 29, 2005, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: Thatwouldbegreat ]

quote:

are there any products that you would recommend besides Mobil 1?

Bob - You must be REALLY new to the site. Sit tight and browse for a couple of weeks and you will get a better feeling for what you don't know. If you have questions in the meantime you might look for answers using the search function.

Without some knowledge basis to work from we could tell you anything, like the faux tech tips referenced in another thread ("Slick 50, yeah, that's fantastic stuff, I use it in my lawnmower").

quote:

JHZR2:

Ive seen more honda oil burners (mainly civics though) than any other make on the road... maybe its because people love to keep them so long...

It probably has to do with piston travel.

The Hondas (and Accuras) have to be kept in the high-rpm range to stay up with traffic. If you row your own, you'll find you're consistently in a higher rpm range with a Honda than with a competitive GM, Ford, VW, Toyota, or other brand in the same class.

For a given mileage, then, the average Honda (and the Civics are the lowest torque of the bunch) has a lot more travel on the pistons than many competitive brands.

quote:

Originally posted by Mickey_M:
It probably has to do with piston travel.

The Hondas (and Accuras) have to be kept in the high-rpm range to stay up with traffic. If you row your own, you'll find you're consistently in a higher rpm range with a Honda than with a competitive GM, Ford, VW, Toyota, or other brand in the same class.

For a given mileage, then, the average Honda (and the Civics are the lowest torque of the bunch) has a lot more travel on the pistons than many competitive brands.

Very true!

My GF's integra (doesnt use a drop of oil or have any oil smoke at 167k) does rev a lot higher than other cars that I drive... Though my old 83 MB turbodiesel and 91 BMW 318i are close (~>3000 rpm @70 mph).

Great advice from JHZR2!

Our Acura Integra's both are well over 220,00 miles and don't use any oil, and run great.

One had Synthetic most of its life at 5K -7K OCI.

the other had dino oil every 3K. Now it gets the Auto -RX/ LC20/FP60 Havoline 5W-30 treament ..but it goes to show you that that lots there's more than one way to maintain a car.

Ive seen more honda oil burners (mainly civics though) than any other make on the road... maybe its because people love to keep them so long... so, here are my suggestions:

-even though hondas are, IMO overpriced in the secondary market, Ill bet you got a good deal on it, given that the age and mileage probably don't make it all that popular to the keeping up with the jonses crowd. You need to check first that the transmission is in excellent shape (drop the pan, examine the filter, etc.) and that the engine is in great shape and doesnt burn oil. Drive behind the vehicle, with the car in the whole range from full cold to full hot, and check for smoke during accelerating, etc. If either of these are the case, nurse it for a while to get some utility, but its not a million miler anyway.

-if all checks out OK, diagnise if there is a need for cleaning. Oil turning brown is not a need for cleaning, as additive packages change color when expoised to heat. Optimally, remove the valve cover/drop the oil pan, but at least open the filler cap and look for deposits, check the dipstick, etc.

-if you see what looks like deposits, get auto-rx and run it with a cheap dino oil (maybe havoline?) per the instructions. If you dont see deposits, you might consider using it anyway, given the age of the vehicle, but also consider changing the oil, and doing the Lubecontrol flush.

-purchase lube control one way or another, and use it - it seems to do great with respect to wear rates in engines. Also consider fuel power to keep the fuel system lubricated and clean.

-use a good oil, like chevron, havoline, pennzoil, motorcraft, troparctic, mobil or castrol GTX. Consider changing to a synthetic - use mobil 1 or mobil 1 EP.

-use used oil analysis (UOA) to ensure that all is well with the engine. If wear rates are low (because you use a good oil and lube control), consider extended drain intervals, provided lube control and/or synthetic oil is utilized. If youre not interested in extended drains, just use a good dino.

-replace coolant and ATF with OEM (dealer) fluids (not necessary if transmission fluid is dexron III or antifreeze is standard green, but otherwise stick with OE fluids) yearly, coolant could be done every other year if you like.

-remember that "change your oil hot and change it often" is a pretty good way to keep an engine healthy... Hot is always good... often if youre not using UOA/syn oil/LC.

-Avoid most all additives. The ones that IMO are good, based upon results seen here are: LC, FP, Auto-RX, schaeffers #132 oil suppliment, schaeffers neutra, specialty formulations SX-UP, valvoline oil suppliment, redline fuel injector cleaner, gumout regane fuel system cleaner, chevron techron cleaner, lucas upper cylinder lubricant... most others are worthless, useless, snake oil, or even harmful.

-drive gently! Nothing will help your car last better than driving it gently, to reduce stress on all systems.

I hope this helps

Thanks all!

You guys are AWESOME! I'll follow up on your leads.

If you have any other ideas jot them here so I can learn more.

Thanks!

Bob

I also have a '97 Accord EX 4-cyl w/ 150K on it. I've had about 6 Accords and 3 Civic's/CRX's over the past 20 years. I have nothing but respect for Honda's...

My advice....
1. Change the tranny fluid (2.5 quarts) with Honda OEM Z1 ATF. Use no other ATF in there (assuming you have a auto tranny). Change it every other oil change (assuming you go with extended OCI's)
2. Change the oil with Mobil1 Extended Performance 5W-30. OCI's of 10K until you know for sure you can go longer (via some UOA's).
4. Watch the dipstick. You'll need to add some oil now and then. At least at first during the switchover to Syn.
3. Use a Purolator PureOne oil filter, preferably the oversize PL24458.
4. The 4.75 quarts the manual calls for with an oil change is off. Mine takes around 5.1 to reach the top mark on the dipstick. Other people with the same car have reported this as well.
5. Use a good brake pad such as Bendix IQ. All others seem to wear quickly. The IQ's last a whole lot longer.
6. Flush your cooling system and use only OEM Honda Coolant. Do this about every 50K.
7. Get a set of Sylvania XtraVision's 9006's for your headlights. Worlds better than OEM. You'll definitely appreciate the difference.
8. Enjoy your Honda. It won't be your last...trust me
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back