Which one...Pennzoil Platinum or Motorcraft Syn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a new Ford Focus sedan and need some oil opinions. I will be using this car for my daily commute of 50 total miles per day. 80% of my drive is open highway, 20% stop and go. Vehicle is an auto tranny, average temps in my area are fairly mild year'round. My commute may become much longer in the future. I want this little car to last a long time. I will ONLY use either Pennzoil Platinum or Motorcraft Full Synthetic in the 5w-20 weights and Motorcraft filters. I like what I've read about the Motorcraft oil but I am also impressed with the PP having a possibly stronger detergent quality.
Please stick to only these two oils and give me any opinions as to what your choice would be....and why.
Thanks.
Oops.....almost forgot. My OCI will be 6 months or 6k miles.

Last edited:
You can't go wrong either way. THe cost difference is only about 10 bucks an oil change. Has the facotry recomedation for intervals been bumped up to 7500 fron 5000 in the Focus? Sounds like you have easy miles. And each oil will serve your Focus well. (I just reread and it appears I had the semisyn standard synthetic in mind so cost really isn't a factor..

In this case I recomedn the PP if you want a good over the counter syn. Your engine will last a llong long time but that detergent package is nice.

For easy daily miles and OCI of 6mo/6k miles I would use any brand name dino. Of the two choices named above, I would choose PP and extend the OCI to 9mo/9-10k miles.

Pennzoil Platinum is a slightly better oil, IMO.
PP is comparable to Kendall GT-1 Ultimate Synthetic, while the Motorcraft Full Synthetic is repackaged Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic. GT-1 Ultimate Synthetic was formulated to meet couple standards GT-1 Full Synthetic wouldn't, and PP meets all specs GT-1 Ultimate does. So in my book, PP is just notch above MCFS. All the Fords I've used PP in have seemed to love it.

I also believe you can get PP for less money than MCFS, as it is readily available.

I'd go with the PP, but just because it's so much cheaper in my area. They both seem to be good oils, so if you can find a good deal on the Motorcraft, I wouldn't hesitate a bit to use it.

That thread was about Motorcraft Syn Blend versus PP, this thread is about Motorcraft Full Syn versus PP.

You are correct sir, I read it wrong but corrected it.
LOL.gif
See my above post.
cheers3.gif

Besides Ben, nobody really gave me a valid reason to choose PP over Motorcraft Synthetic. Disregard cost and availability....why the PP? Will it protect my engine better and keep it cleaner? If so please back it up with some concrete data of sorts. I just want to put to rest my oil decision and feel confident that I chose the best of these two.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andrewg
Besides Ben, nobody really gave me a valid reason to choose PP over Motorcraft Synthetic. Disregard cost and availability....why the PP? Will it protect my engine better and keep it cleaner? If so please back it up with some concrete data of sorts. I just want to put to rest my oil decision and feel confident that I chose the best of these two.
Thanks.

There Both great oil's!! do a search and read,your not going to get a 3 page report on whats better,they both will work close your eyes and pic!! can't go wrong.

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: andrewg
Thanks.

There Both great oil's!! do a search and read,your not going to get a 3 page report on whats better,they both will work close your eyes and pic!! can't go wrong.

Hey daman,I see your still using the 0W-30 Green cap.Still feel it works well for you? I have some of it too,and will probably be going back to it next oil change.

Originally Posted By: lexus114

Hey daman,I see your still using the 0W-30 Green cap.Still feel it works well for you? I have some of it too,and will probably be going back to it next oil change.

yea i've been VERY happy with it,cars seems to really like it been running it out 6-7,000 with AC UPF's,great winter oil, consumption is minimal. been buying the h ell out of it with the rebate $12 for 5qt jug!! been buying a jug a week gota nice stash of this.
LOL.gif

may try a run of my 5 cent 0w30R next time in one..
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: daman
PP 5w30?

Haha,Yeah I have some PP 5W-30,M-1 0 W-30,GC 0W-30 Formula Shell 5W-30 conventional oil.
LOL.gif

Last edited:
I like Pennzoil Products so I would favor the PP over the MC oil. Truth is either way you have a winner! Enjoy the ride, I hope you get the pleasure and long life out of you Ford that I have gotten out of mine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back