Redline v's Motul v's Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently use Amsoil 0w-30 and am happy with the product. However i would like to clean the internals of the engine,-like using auto RX. However i don't want to use the RX, i would rather use an ester based oil to do the cleaning. What is the better oil -Redline or Motul? and why?. Cant seem to get much tech specs on either?? Why is the VI lower on ester based oils?(Amsoil 195 v's Redline 153 )
Do esters still have a problem with swelling seals?, will i have a problem when i switch back to Amsoil?

[ August 27, 2005, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: Vesta ]

No one has ever complained on this board about seals swelling due to ester oils... at least not with oils bought since 1990.
And.. do the RX. None of the ester-based oils work as well. Nothing appears to work as well.

Redline has worked very well for me, and it does keep the engine clean.

I agree with TomJones that posts on BITOG support that Auto-RX is the way to clean, of you follow the instructions to the letter.

Amsoil and Redline are both good products, imho

Provided you are using reasonable service intervals with the S2000, there will be little or nothing to clean out of the engine. The S2000 already contains a significant amount of ester basestock and provides better solvency and detergency than the standard Amsoil 5w30 or 10w30 formulations.

I´ve had customers put these oils in high mileage engines that had used petroleum lubes, and they become contaminated very quickly from cleaning out preexisting deposits.

Tooslick

Listen to Too Slick!

Another option is not spending all that money for 5-6 quarts of Red Line & get your moly/boron/calcium/phosphorous-rich ingredients from a bottle of Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment ($3.99). Use the extra savings on a quality oil filter.

The S2K Amsoil is all you need for extended drain service. Another fine option is Mobil-1 EP.

Why should he be interested in any additional moly/boron/calcium/phosphorous-rich ingredients?
BTW, as TooSlick has mentioned his engine should still be very clean - no additional cleaning is required, unless it's an older engine with many miles on dino prior to Amsoil and he just made the switch.
And RedLine does have the best cleaning abilities among the above mentioned oils.

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:
Listen to Too Slick!

Another option is not spending all that money for 5-6 quarts of Red Line & get your moly/boron/calcium/phosphorous-rich ingredients from a bottle of Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment ($3.99). Use the extra savings on a quality oil filter.

The S2K Amsoil is all you need for extended drain service. Another fine option is Mobil-1 EP.

TooSlick is one of the most well informed and fair minded individuals on any forum he's active in.

He's really the only reason that I came to see that Amsoil has some excellent products.

As far as Redline being expensive, I think its a bargain!

I've never had any sign of engine problems using Redline and I drive the cars hard in a demanding environment. I also have many family members driving many cars spread out over the USA, so UPA's weren't convenient and I wanted a large measure of protection.

I think the Redline helped me manage all these cars and drivers, avoid problems, and saved me a lot of money.

Long OCI, low evaporative loss, tolerance for severe driving styles and conditions, without the cost and logistical problems of UOA's worked for me.

[ And yes, I think I could have done this with Amsoil, or Mobil 1 ]

In 2005, the average OTC oils are much better [ putting aside SM concerns]. I also think the engines are much better.]

I think that I have more choices in oils that will work well.

Back when I started using Redline it was clearly better for my driving needs than Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec.

I wanted to try longer OCI's and drive hard. I felt the only other option was heavier oils and shorter intervals.

I didn't have TooSlick to advise me on the right Amsoil products.

I just had MLM hacks telling me to run Amsoil for 25,000 miles, and I had no confidence in their sales pitch.

With better oils and BITOG, I'm sure I could run a number of different brand oils at their ideal OCI for a given car, and between VSOT, LC20, FP60, Auto-RX, and UOA's there's no doubt that I would get good results.

And if you look at some of the cars I have you'll see I use more than 1 product.

----

I use Mobil 1 0W-20 at 7K OCI in our 2004 Honda Element since I wanted the best mpg and it tested well.

When my stash of 0W-20 runs out...maybe Redline 5W-20, Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 if it tests well, or Mobil 1 5W-20. But not Amsoil 5W-20.

----

I ran Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 in our two 2005 Subaru Outbacks at 10K OCI with a 5K filter change and oil top up.

I might try Amsoil S2K 0W-30 or S3K 5W-30, or Redline 5W-30, but I'm open to suggestions on these cars.

----

I run Valvoline 15W-40 in the 2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax at 2000 mile OCI, since it is free at the dealership and the truck had some issues with ECM and turbo that took lots of visits to the dealer.

Now, I think I'll switch to Delo 400 15W-40 at 3K OCI because of warranty concerns...but I'll consider Amsoil or Redline 15W-40 and use 80% on the oil monitoring system for OCI.

----

In our highly modified 200 hp Golf TDI my business partner runs Amsoil European formula 5W-40 at 10K OCI and seems happy with it.

----

In my 1986 BMW 325es with 400K, I run Redline 10W-40 at 7K OCI and don't plan to change.

----

In our 1996 Chevy Cavalier 2.2L I run Mobil 5000 5W-30 at 3K OCI.

----

In our 1996 Subaru Legacy AWD wagon I use Mobil 1 10W-30 at 5K OCI.

----

In our 1996 Acura Integra I run Havoline 5W-30 at 3K OCI.

-----

In our 1990 Chevy 1500 plow truck I am running Quaker State 10W-40 4x4 Synthetic Blend at 2K OCI.

----

In our 1984 Mercedes 300D, Delo 400 at 4K OCI.

----

All these vehicles have Redline gear lubes, or Factory spec ATF with Lubegard. The Allison Series 1000 transmission will probably get Castrol Transynd, since other BITOG members have brought this fluid to my attention.

I am now on a tear with LC20/FP60/VSOT and Auto-RX.

Before this new attitude towards additives I only used Techron or Redline SL1, and Lubegard.

How do you maintain that many cars? Any good synthetic oil (M1/Amsoil/PZplat/RL) will keep your engine clean even during extended drains.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
How do you maintain that many cars? Any good synthetic oil (M1/Amsoil/PZplat/RL) will keep your engine clean even during extended drains.

How can I not maintain them? LOL

I agree

'Any good synthetic oil (M1/Amsoil/PZplat/RL) will keep your engine clean even during extended drains.'

In 2005 with what I know now, and BITOG, and NORIA, and the the level of products available.

But 9 years ago, or 20 or 30...I was stumbling
around inthe dark...trying to make cars last as I redlined them constantly and tried to tear the tires of the rims.

I used to use Catrol GTX cause I thought it had something to do with racing...now I know its more marketing ...but it wasn't bad oil.

Redline has been a great company, and I'll still use their products. But the list above should show that I am open minded and I try to think about what works best.

quote:

Redline engine oils are expensive here in Australia.
Case in point, I buy 20 litre drums of Delvac 1 for A$190.00. 18.92 litres/US 5 gallons of any Redline engine oil is A$554.00.
gr_eek2.gif

Vesta, curious as to where in Oz you are sourcing Amsoil ? The old importer was also the Neo importer, and he dropped Amsoil several years ago.

quote:

Originally posted by tdi-rick:

quote:

Redline engine oils are expensive here in Australia.
Case in point, I buy 20 litre drums of Delvac 1 for A$190.00. 18.92 litres/US 5 gallons of any Redline engine oil is A$554.00.
gr_eek2.gif

Vesta, curious as to where in Oz you are sourcing Amsoil ? The old importer was also the Neo importer, and he dropped Amsoil several years ago.

With that price differential, I'd use delvac 1 also...and I think most peo0ple agree that Delvac 1 is an outstanding oil for many applications.

tdi-rick
i am in Sydney, and i source my Amsoil products from Lubrication Management in Melbourne. Yes i agree with you re -redline pricing, over $100 for 1 us gallon-very expensive

Lubrication Management Pty Ltd

127a Lonsdale St Dandenong VIC 3175
ph: (03) 9794 0700

Thats the place I rang. Seemed a little thin on oil knowledge to me. Possibly I asked too hard questions. I suppose that comes from viewing this site! I also thought the prices to be on the high side. s2000, 0w-30 5 lts for $106.70. 10-40 5 ltrs for $84.70.

Just do a 10 buck oil/oilfilter change every 3,000 miles with a good oil like Havoline and quit worrying about it!
confused.gif

thanks for the contact info fella's.
quote:

Possibly I asked too hard questions. I suppose that comes from viewing this site!

Knowledge is power mate.
wink.gif

Vesta, Auto RX is available from Sprintmans mate Ron in Melbourne. If you want to use it, PM Sprintman for contact info.

Ok guys help me make a decision. I have a '04 Acura TL. Great car! I am using Amsoil 0W-30 on a 6mo change interval or about
5K mi. I use the standard Acura filter. I feel the Amsoil filter
for my car is too small as it also fits my 15hp Yamaha 4cycle
outboard (1qt capacity)_

I am seriously considering changing for grins and possible milage
increases to RedLine 5W-20. Reading posts here I understand this is pretty darn good oil. Am I nuts? I would also like opinions on which filter would be better than the OEM/Acura filter.
Thanks,
Craig

RL 5w-20 would be a great choice. See if you can find the new M1 Filters. They are supposed to be a bit bigger.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
RL 5w-20 would be a great choice. See if you can find the new M1 Filters. They are supposed to be a bit bigger.

I can order the new M1 filters at $8.79 apiece

I have to order 4 cases at a time, and 12 filters per case. No mix and match.

If I needed 8 different types of filters then I need to order 8 cases.

I don't know if we can do group orders...but maybe it is one option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back