Ford F250 with 5.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep.We have 6 parts trucks at work, 3 with 5.4's and 3 4.2 V-6's. All run on MC 5W20 blend. We wholesale them when they get to 400,000 miles and they still run great! It's too bad the public thinks imports last longer.
smirk2.gif

I have seen a couple 4.6s go out.One was because it was running lean due to a bad fuel pump and pushed the valve seats up.Another was a piston destroyed after checking compression on one cylinder,showed no compression which the customer said ther was a miss..The 4.6 and 5.4s are a PITA to change,the intake has to come off and the book say 13 hours to change one.Plus the 3 valve 5.4s,4.6s are variable cam timing engines which have oil sludge build up problems

They might be a dog in a race but when it comes down to towing or just being a truck Ford rules. They make the best LT in the business, period! JMO

Originally Posted By: cafasco
On another note however...if I needed a 3/4 ton, it would be a Dodge Cummins...

Me too!
grin2.gif

Oops! Got one already....
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: wafrederick1
I have seen a couple 4.6s go out.One was because it was running lean due to a bad fuel pump and pushed the valve seats up.Another was a piston destroyed after checking compression on one cylinder,showed no compression which the customer said ther was a miss..The 4.6 and 5.4s are a PITA to change,the intake has to come off and the book say 13 hours to change one.Plus the 3 valve 5.4s,4.6s are variable cam timing engines which have oil sludge build up problems

Since the 2 valve 4.6 does not have sludge problems why would adding one more valve turn the the engine into a sludger? Don't understand.

Seems odd to me as well, I have a 3 valve 4.6 in the Explorer. TOytoats and Hondas also have a ton Of VVT modules. I guesse new stuff [censored] bad mechanics off. Good craftsmen can handle technology changes within their trade without complaint because adjusting to changing technology is a part of any profesionals life.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
They'll retire them for other reasons before the engines take a hit. How old was the last evolution in the fleet turn over? They probably have a (
grin2.gif
) corporate average fuel economy figure of 3.6 mpg ...and still get maintained by a mileage number.

Great example of how destructive 5w-20 oils are.

+1 . Glad I decided to read this thread! A great message to all the, "Ohhhhh noooo 5w20 is too thin" naysayers. WRONG ANSWER!

Nothing like some real world fleet backed experience, to kick that myth to the curb!

Originally Posted By: tig1

Since the 2 valve 4.6 does not have sludge problems why would adding one more valve turn the the engine into a sludger? Don't understand.

I have yet to see one single post that wafrederick1 makes that makes sense.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
Originally Posted By: tig1

I have yet to see one single post that wafrederick1 makes that makes sense.

Yup. I'm with you there.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: ProStreetCamaro
Just remember the 5.4 is a dog so dont expect it to have much power (been there and done that with a 4.6 and a 5.4). Other than that I say pick what ever brand and type of oil you like and go with it. The mod motors are supposed to be a long lasting engine so you should be fine with what ever you choose.

Still going on and on with that nonsense? Comparing an older 5.4 Expedition 4x4 to a brand new yet stripped down 2WD Chevy work truck with a 6.0, and then complaining the Expedition didn't have as much pep? I wonder why?
smirk2.gif

Give me a PI 5.4 over a 5.3 anyday.

I am comparing it to 3 300 CI inline six ford engines and a 98 chevy truck with 350 vortec. The 5.4 is a turd plain and simple. There are video tests on youtube comparing the big 3 and toyota and nissan all with the biggest engine offerings in 1/2 ton trucks and when it comes to power the ford was dead last in all the power tests.

The 3 300 cube inline 6 engines we owned would pull like a raped ape. The 4.6 and 5.4 are both very weak. Fine for driving around but not good with weight behind it. The 350 old school vortec with a whopping 255hp never struggled once to pull my race car or our landscape trailer (thats what we do every day for a living). So dont you dare come on here and try to make it look like I have no clue what I am talking about. Like I said we have been there and done that and thank god we dont have to use the expedition to tow wil very often.

Our best frineds own and operates a sheel metal company. The heating and AC guys that come in his shop every day used to drive ford trucks. When ford went mod motor they couldnt deal with the lack of power and every last one of them switched to GM trucks and never looked back. I swear to god on a stack of bibles. These sheet metal guys are also hard core ford guys (old fords. They have over 35 of them) and even they told us if they were to buy a new truck it would be a GM.

Face it the LSX stomps all over fords mod motors. Why are ford guys so quick to defend them when they know they are wrong? I even said in that post that the mod motors are famous for long service life. They just dont make that much power.

Last edited:
I am not a Ford Guy by nature. I could be called a Toyota guy, but I think I am just a Truck and 4x4 guy who appreciates good vehicles of all makes.

If you personally don't like a vehicle thats your preference. I just don't get into the HP wars, that is the dumbest thing I have heard of with Trucks. We are already twisting up stock U joints and have a pile of old stock driveshafts behind the shop to prove it. Not having enough power is not an issue.If I want something fast I will get a muscle car.

THe 4.6 in my personal explorer has nearly 300 hp and more torque and I never use it. It is just a nice reserve so the engine is never really working hard. There are some cases where the 5.4 is not enough and in those applications we order the V10. In Comparisons that is legitamately the competition for GM 's 6.0

Ford 6.8 v10 3-valve SOHC, 362 hp (270 kW) and 457 lb·ft (620 N·m).
Ford 5.4 3-valve SOHC, 300 hp (224 kW) and 365 lb·ft (495 N·m)

When Driving my 4 door half ton with the 5.4 I have never wanted for more power and I am at elevation and drive mountain roads.

Of course I am not an aggressive driver. I drive the speed limit and within the weather conditions. As I would with more power. \\ or less power. These are utility vehicles. And the most dangerous thing we do everyday is getting on the road with people who think these tools of transportation are toys.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Just remember the 5.4 is a dog so dont expect it to have much power (been there and done that with a 4.6 and a 5.4). Other than that I say pick what ever brand and type of oil you like and go with it. The mod motors are supposed to be a long lasting engine so you should be fine with what ever you choose.

Still going on and on with that nonsense? Comparing an older 5.4 Expedition 4x4 to a brand new yet stripped down 2WD Chevy work truck with a 6.0, and then complaining the Expedition didn't have as much pep? I wonder why?
smirk2.gif

Give me a PI 5.4 over a 5.3 anyday.

I am comparing it to 3 300 CI inline six ford engines and a 98 chevy truck with 350 vortec.

Well, see, I too have "extensive experience" with both the 300 I6 and the Vortec 350, and sorry bro, but the PI 5.4 is stronger than either. The fact that you think the I6 compares to the 5.4in anyway reallys shows how out of touch you are on this issue.

Quote:
The 5.4 is a turd plain and simple.

If the 5.4 is a turd, then I would like to know what the GM 5.3, Vortec 5.7 and the 300 I6 are.

Quote:
There are video tests on youtube comparing the big 3 and toyota and nissan all with the biggest engine offerings in 1/2 ton trucks and when it comes to power the ford was dead last in all the power tests.

Well see, now you're comparing the 5.4 3V to engines that outpower your beloved 6.0. Ever play with a 5.7 Tundra? The F150 remains the heaviest half-ton.

Quote:
The 3 300 cube inline 6 engines we owned would pull like a raped ape. The 4.6 and 5.4 are both very weak.

Pull what? The 300 I6 with a 5-speed manual had good low end torque, but that's it. These things sucked pulling loads on the interstate. Oh yea, and they were slow. Yes, I've been there and done that as well. For a magazine racer, I find it odd that you refer to the 300 I6 with 11+ second 0-60 times as "pulling like a freight train". Seems like you have shifting criteria.

Quote:
Fine for driving around but not good with weight behind it. The 350 old school vortec with a whopping 255hp never struggled once to pull my race car or our landscape trailer (thats what we do every day for a living). So dont you dare come on here and try to make it look like I have no clue what I am talking about. Like I said we have been there and done that and thank god we dont have to use the expedition to tow wil very often.

A PI 5.4 will outpull and outrun a Vortec 350 anyday. More power, more torque, every bit as responsive, comparable low end torque and FASTER in comparably equipped trucks. I've seen 1999-2003 RCSB 2WD 5.4s doing 14.9s stock. Frankly, you don't know what you are talking about.

Quote:
When ford went mod motor they couldnt deal with the lack of power and every last one of them switched to GM trucks and never looked back.

All Mod motors were not created equal, and once the PI cylinder head came out the 350 Vortec took a back seat to the 5.4.

Quote:
I swear to god on a stack of bibles. These sheet metal guys are also hard core ford guys (old fords. They have over 35 of them) and even they told us if they were to buy a new truck it would be a GM.

Being sheetmetal guys, you would think they would recognize the far inferior sheetmetal of the GM trucks.
smirk2.gif

Quote:
Face it the LSX stomps all over fords mod motors. Why are ford guys so quick to defend them when they know they are wrong? I even said in that post that the mod motors are famous for long service life. They just dont make that much power.

That's funny, I made 354 rwhp with a stock h/c/i n/a 4.6 and just last night had my way with a two cammed LSxs.
grin2.gif

You're just a typical Chevy kool-aid guy aren't you, absolutely clueless about the capabilities of the Modulars.

You probably don't realize that 5.4 4V at 330ci has made more power and run quicker times N/A than any stock displacement LS1. You probably don't realize that Modulars have made more power and run quicker times than the LSx either. Modulars have made in excess of 2500HP and gone 6.2@220+ mph in the 1/4. That's at 281ci... with stock head castings, stock crank, stock block. No LSx of any displacement has accomplished anything comparable.

We've been running 5.4's in F150/250s and E150/250's since Ford started putting 'em in there, probably 20 or so, and have had zero issues (aside from a spark plug pop-out on one of the earlier ones). We've used either MC, M1 or PP 5-20 or 5-30, and Fram
crazy2.gif
, Puro or MC filters. Generally, we can get over 200,000 miles out of 'em before the road salt gets the bodies.
frown.gif

Never really had any complaints about a lack of power. Maybe we need to set up a match race between an F250/5.4 and 2500/5.3, pulling equally loaded trailers or something...
27.gif

Quote:
You probably don't realize that 5.4 4V at 330ci has made more power and run quicker times N/A than any stock displacement LS1. You probably don't realize that Modulars have made more power and run quicker times than the LSx either. Modulars have made in excess of 2500HP and gone 6.2@220+ mph in the 1/4. That's at 281ci... with stock head castings, stock crank, stock block. No LSx of any displacement has accomplished anything comparable

Those MOD motors are pretty darned impressive. Reading some of the dyno tests and seeing some of the ET's they produce just blows my stuck-in-the-70's-points-and-carburetor mind..
shocked2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RWEST
Never really had any complaints about a lack of power. Maybe we need to set up a match race between an F250/5.4 and 2500/5.3, pulling equally loaded trailers or something...
27.gif

The SD might have trouble in that one, seeing as how that chassis is so much beefier/heavier than the base GM 2500s.

Half-ton 2wds are the best comparison, since those are the closest in weight...and I've already seen it happen.
cool.gif

The PI 2V 5.4 is no slouch and was actually better suited to the 4R70/75 gear spacing than the 5.4 3V.

I just know what I read and the specs.The FORD F150 site they even comment about the lack luster performance of the 5.4 compared to the 'others'.I know on the Edmond's TOW TEST the F150 was the HIGHEST rated at 11500 lbs but struggled with 6500lbs where the Chevy6.0 the Hemi 5.7 and Toyota 5.7 did not.Comments of having to floor the Ford to maintain 50 mph on a certain incline yet the 'others'held the speed with ease and even had enough umph to accelerate.I liked the Ford truck but passed on buying one because of the 5.4. I have owned several 4.6 Mercury Gran Marquis and like them a lot.If I was not concerned about some towing I would have bought a Ford with the 4.6

I have the same magnaflow and have nothing but good things to say, my brother got his from ebay but I wanted a valid warranty(I have had problems with ebay sellers before) so I got it here. magnaflow 16530, or you can try one of the vendors here on the forum selling magnaflow, they are allways having sales/specials on the forums. It is nicely built and sounds great I think.

I have owned a couple of ford 5.4s and they seemed to have good power and ran great, but that is where the fun stopped for me. I decided to change out the spark plugs one day and what a job that was. Ford has over complicated a simple process and made it too hard to work on so i went and got me a Chevy truck and am more than happy with it,esp when you open the hood. I do all of my own maint and repairs and like the simplicity of the GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back