Ford F250 with 5.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Preparing to buy a 2001 with 164K miles. Truck's in great shape mechanically with one small body ding where the bumper meets the fender. Turned a trailer a little to short. Anyway, I'm getting it for less than trade-in. With that many miles, should I look at a high mileage oil like Maxlife in a 5W-20 or 5W-30. I a little squeamish about a 20-weight although there are plenty of UOAs that help relieve some of the anxiety. You've got o understand that I'm about to hold a wake for my trusty 1988 Ford F150 with the 5.0 that finally played out on me with 467,000 miles on the odometer. That truck was fed a steady diet of Castrol GTX 20W-50.

Originally Posted By: rainman49
Preparing to buy a 2001 with 164K miles. Truck's in great shape mechanically with one small body ding where the bumper meets the fender. Turned a trailer a little to short. Anyway, I'm getting it for less than trade-in. With that many miles, should I look at a high mileage oil like Maxlife in a 5W-20 or 5W-30. I a little squeamish about a 20-weight although there are plenty of UOAs that help relieve some of the anxiety. You've got o understand that I'm about to hold a wake for my trusty 1988 Ford F150 with the 5.0 that finally played out on me with 467,000 miles on the odometer. That truck was fed a steady diet of Castrol GTX 20W-50.

467K miles??? Awesome!
I fed my F150 with the 5.4 a diet of 5w-30 its whole life until I sold it.
My vote is for Maxlife 5w-30.

With the results you got from your last Ford we should be asking you what to do. Many on this site think unless the most expensive syn oil and filters changed a 4,075 miles an engine will not last over 52,001 miles.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
With the results you got from your last Ford we should be asking you what to do. Many on this site think unless the most expensive syn oil and filters changed a 4,075 miles an engine will not last over 52,001 miles.

True! I didn't think of that! What diet did you feed the 5.0L beast?
I guess its true that it is one bullet proof engine.

I'm currently running Quaker State Q-Torquepower 10W30 in my 5.4L F150 with great results. I think Maxlife 5W30 would be a fine oil for your application.

467K miles...That really is awesome.

I am really surprised you ran 20w50 in your 5.0 truck for that long...I tried it my in 5.0 88 Town Car when I had it and it sounded like a broken washing machine after sitting more then 4 hours until it warmed up...I went to 10w30 and sometimes 10w40 after that...The 5.0 was a great engine for sure.

Just remember the 5.4 is a dog so dont expect it to have much power (been there and done that with a 4.6 and a 5.4). Other than that I say pick what ever brand and type of oil you like and go with it. The mod motors are supposed to be a long lasting engine so you should be fine with what ever you choose.

We have a fleet of 5.4s in 150's 250's adn 350's.

All lubricated with 5w20.
Fleet manager has been here since 2000. He can't recall any engine failures. (accessories like AC alternators ects excepted)
MechanicF350side.jpg

CoalteamTruck.jpg

Heaterunitsside.jpg

SmalHeaterUnits.jpg

F550Cranetruck.jpg

Originally Posted By: ProStreetCamaro
Just remember the 5.4 is a dog so dont expect it to have much power (been there and done that with a 4.6 and a 5.4). Other than that I say pick what ever brand and type of oil you like and go with it. The mod motors are supposed to be a long lasting engine so you should be fine with what ever you choose.

Still going on and on with that nonsense? Comparing an older 5.4 Expedition 4x4 to a brand new yet stripped down 2WD Chevy work truck with a 6.0, and then complaining the Expedition didn't have as much pep? I wonder why?
smirk2.gif

Give me a PI 5.4 over a 5.3 anyday.

Actually the entire San Juan Basin Including much of San juan County in NM and La Plata in CO. You know, Desert to mountains , Really hot and dust and muddy to mountains and snow. and some good climbs too.
On my halfton I tend to break body accessories like power windo cables (vibration issue on the access roads) The 3/4 and 1 tons tend to eat the stock driveshafts.

We also have the V10 in some of the the fleet as well. Our standard OCI is 4k miles due to the dust and mud and basicaly the rough driving conditions. and the fact that many of the service trucks are idling all day in the field for ac IN THE DESERT OR HEAT IN THE WINTER.
The oil used is Bulk Syntec 5w20.(our cost comes out to 4.80 a quart so we aren't getting an inside break.)
I plan to pull a sample off of my 5.4 in a couple of weeksto see if this is appropriate(my truck gets more highway use than most since I due 100 miles a day in pavement commuting).

Quote:
Fleet manager has been here since 2000. He can't recall any engine failures.

All in due time .... just track the day they were put in service ..one by one ..
15.gif

Everyone knows that 5w-20 is wimpy oil for CAFE purposes and it was never really intended for full time use.

That's what I hear, anyway
21.gif

Well I am waiting to get a failure trend,,,,still waiting ... Maybe in another 9 or 10 years of working service we can get an example.

The pre2000 5.4L were a bit doggy. Post '99 are better for power. The biggest problem is the restictive exhaust. The intake is a distant 2nd. Find a custom exhaust shop and go with 3" pipe & a 24" magnaflow (pretty quite). A good shop will cut out the Y pipe and replace it with a streched 3".

The 5.4L is one tough engine no doubt. 164K is hardly broke in if previous owners changed the oil once in a blue moon. I would go with any 10/30 dino you like at 5k intervals or 5/30 "FULL" syth @ 10K intervals.

They'll retire them for other reasons before the engines take a hit. How old was the last evolution in the fleet turn over? They probably have a (
grin2.gif
) corporate average fuel economy figure of 3.6 mpg ...and still get maintained by a mileage number.

Great example of how destructive 5w-20 oils are.

I will have to survey the fleet turnover. In these economic times we are not planning to getr rid of any trucks (other than a couple of 1990's dodge Dakotas out of the pool fleet we are going to surplus sale later this year (they have the 4.7 and have been maintained with the 5w20 since we only have one bulk tank for the fleet). The bodies and suspension are shot well before the engines. We always repair our dents and dings immediately and try to keep clean vehicles. When A vehicle begins spending alot of time getting parts replaced it is flagged for replacement. We do modify many of them(bigger tires and the beefing up needed to clear and run them) and we also have a Mattrack rig. My truck is a 2005 mwith about 40k miles on it. I am putting aroud 5-600 miles a week on it now. MY predecesor with this truck didn't get out as much. I plan on keeping it as long as possible (the less we spend on trucks the higher our profit. The motivator their is that by making money we make a personal profit so we are motivated to take care of the trucks despite the tough use and conditions. My mpg average for my truck this week was 16.9 I drove through two tanks since monday and broke a power window unit(second this year) while traveling a rough area cammed pump canyon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
We have a fleet of 5.4s in 150's 250's adn 350's.
Fleet manager has been here since 2000. He can't recall any engine failures. (accessories like AC alternators ects excepted)

Your tune up mechanic is a hero. He must have nightmares about spark plugs and heli-coil inserts.

Actually this hasn't been an issue. He spends more time with tires and alignments(we have a really nice alignment rig)andRig ups(we have specific criteria and must stay below the max GVW but certain crafts and production teams need to be able to carry a lot of stuff on a light truck)than engines.

If I do find out about bad plug threads in the heads I will mention it. Just hasn't been an issue in this fleets history. I will ask the fleet manager about the trend. I will review the records but in at least the past 3 years the fleet has presented no major issues other than damage due to vehicle incidents(collisions_

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back