'90s Mobil 1 Million-Mile Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has probably been posted here before, but I thought I'd share it anyway. This was a test performed in 1990 that apparently ran for four years. They took a new BMW 325i and ran it day and night, stopping only to change oil, refuel and do routine maintenance. I was impressed by the video, as I own this exact car and I've seen what it looks like under the valve cover. It's worth watching if you've never seen it before, if for no other reason than the rad '90s synthesizer soundtrack!

http://www.mobil1.com.au/performance/miles.aspx

I wouldn't expect anything else from a 7.5k mile OCI with full synthetic oil in relatively easy hwy driving conditions (limited number of cold starts, stop-and-go, etc).

I'm more amazed that a BMW engine actually lasted this long. :)

Wonder which M1 grade they used?

Wow! Great video... The only thing I have concern over is that it was run 24/7. This saved a lot of wear in restarts. The only time it looks like it was shut down was for maintenance.

Not trying to start a war, but it has to play into it somewhat.

Speaks volumes about M1 though!
wink.gif

Awesome video. Definitely gave me more respect for M1. Though, I have always liked their products. Just picked up two M1-301 filters today.

Fix!!! Running the engine day and night will work with ANY oil, and engine will last 1 million +++, even with Bozo the Clown Bargain Brand, SM API certified 10w30.
The need to read Dr. AE H. - the wear occurs in the first few minutes after starting an engine. That is also the time that the oil is most severely punished: having to lubricate while cold shreds the molecules apart and the shearing forces are enormous.

Impressive, but very easy on an engine. Stop and start it in intense cold, then idle it and simulate a soccer mom using that car in a Canadian winter, now that's a test for an oil. JMO

AD

EvoStevo said:
I was impressed by the video, as I own this exact car and I've seen what it looks like under the valve cover.

EvoStevo: Do you own the million mile car or one exactly like it?

no information on the transmission! I would be more impressed if they tried with a 90 Hyundai Excel.
LOL.gif

Notice how Mobil doesn't tear down other companies product to build there selves up. Classy. No Irishmen beating people with dip sticks, no mention of other oil companies at all, no 4Xs or 8Xs. It would be refreshing for the competion to do test like this one.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Notice how Mobil doesn't tear down other companies product to build there selves up. Classy. No Irishmen beating people with dip sticks, no mention of other oil companies at all, no 4Xs or 8Xs. It would be refreshing for the competion to do test like this one.
tig1, just playing the devils advocate here... But see how not saying anything can lead people to believe that their isn't a problem because they think the company is too confident to even address the issue?
wink.gif

No, I don't see that. The Devil gets blamed for everything.

See my response to your asking about my auto history with M1.

tig1 I'm giving you a hard time... I believe in M1 products as posted in many posts before... I was just playing the devils advocate so others here could see both sides of the table.

I did see your history... Impressive.
thumbsup2.gif

Is that the old better Tri-Syn Formula?

Some observations:

1. They did do a 50,000 mile stop and go cycle at first
2. The long cycle was varied from 40-80 mph
3. That is still pretty impressive changing the oil at 7500 miles when you see some of the UOA data on here.
4. They followed strict maintenance schedule

I think between the Syn oil and religiously and keeping on top of the maintenance helped.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
tig1 I'm giving you a hard time... I believe in M1 products as posted in many posts before... I was just playing the devils advocate so others here could see both sides of the table.

I did see your history... Impressive.
thumbsup2.gif

10-4, I understand that.As for the history with M1, that's a lot of oil. XM would be proud. Are would they? Curious.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZZman

Some observations:

3. That is still pretty impressive changing the oil at 7500 miles when you see some of the UOA data on here.

I think between the Syn oil and religiously and keeping on top of the maintenance helped.

It's been my history with M1 oils that they do produce long lived engines. My sons 91 Ranger has 330,000 miles on M1 with 10000 mile OCIs. Still runnin great.

Originally Posted By: ZZman

Some observations:

It was pre-Tri-Syn, IIRC...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back