Ford Ranger Transmission and Differential Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Redline's literature on MTL says to use D4 ATF in manual trannies requiring ATF. However, the M50D benefits from something a bit thicker. Just not too thick as I heard there is a splash lubed bearing that will burn up if very thick lube is used. If MTL seems too thick for you mix 50 50 with D4 ATF. But my Frd dealer service manager told me I could run 10w30 motor oil in it with no problem and MTL is same thickness as 30 weight motor oil. Don't laugh about the motor oil idea (though modern SM would not be a good choice) in 1999 I filled my '84 F150's 4 speed OD manual with 10w40 and it ran for another 200,000 miles on that fill with no problems whatsoever. Shifted much nicer in cold weather over the standard tranny lube.

MTL is a gear lube but is soft metal friendly, so can be used in manual trannies including M5OD.

Thanks for the info! I will look into it when I'm due for a tranny drain and refill. I wish I had the ZF gear box instead of the M5OD!

But the D4 is not friction modified for synchros in a manual trans.
It is more robust than ATF, but we can do better in a manual trans.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
But the D4 is not friction modified for synchros in a manual trans.
It is more robust than ATF, but we can do better in a manual trans.

In that case, a manual specific fluid is the way to go?

Redline has a Mercon/Dexron ATF call 'synthetic atf'. It might be better in a manual then D4. They also have high temp and racing ATFs if you insist on the letter 'A T F' on the bottle. I would use the Redline MTL.

Amsoil torquedrive and supershift are also options. If Amsoil is your brand, I would use the Amsoil MTF.

Ford sells a synthetic Mercon(without the Vee) pn xt2qsm.
Gm also still has a DexIII(pn 88861800) equivalent for manuals.

Royalpurple has Synchromax fluid.

Bg sells the syncroshift.

Another good choice would be the synchromesh fluids.

For 50k intervals, I wouldn't skimp on fluid. Use a full synthetic.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Find a real gear lube like Redline or Amsoil MTL.

Gear lube should not be used in the M5OD trans.

I always used the Pennzoil Mercon/DexIII that came in one gallon jugs at Wal-Mart.

75W90, 75W140, and 80W90 are all fine in the differential.

By "gear lube" I meant a manual transmission gear lube...obviously

Redline did recommend MTL to me, but also the D4. They have to be carefull as some jerk with tranny trouble could sue them, and with the mfgr recommending atf, it could be a problem.

North America is the only place where ATF is used in the M5OD

Last edited:
After much research, I believe I found the right fluids for my specific application and usage.

In the manual transmission I will be using the cheapest synthetic ATF at NAPA. I will run it for a while and see if I like it. It will be more readily available to me than Amsoil or Redline.

In the rear differential I will be using the cheapest dino 75w90/80w90 gear oil at NAPA. Again, I will run it for a while to see how I like it.

My reasoning for these choices is simple. My truck is not a high performance machine. It is pretty gutless and I understand that. I am very easy on it and do not pretend it is something more than it is. It is a 4 cylinder, 2WD light duty truck. It will not be used as an offroading or towing machine. It is my daily driver that I putt around in. The maximum weight in the bed it will probably ever see is approximately 600lbs (which will not be often). In my eyes, it does not need the best synthetic fluids available. From my research, Rangers have been able to obtain 250K miles easily on routine maintenance. I feel I am more meticulous than your average truck owner, therefore I should have no problem reaching 250K. As long as I have a reasonable OCI in the motor, transmission, and differential I should be golden.

Well, the fact that you a changing these fluids at all puts you miles ahead of 99% of the other trucks on the road. My only caution would be when you say you are going to try a lube and see how you like it. Keep in mind that you will only notice a problem after the damage has been done. In my Ford Explorer the Manual says the rear axel is filled for life and not to ever touch it. I believed this [censored] and left it, only to notice it started to make noise around 175K. I changed the fluid to Redline, but the damage was done.. It still works, but makes a bit of noise. I should have gone with my own senses and put in the Redline when I first bought it.

Good Luck, you should be fine given the application you described.

Last edited:
About to do the fluid changes tomorrow. Just want to make sure I got fluids that will be find for my truck.

I got 3 quarts NAPA 80w/85w-90 conventional differential fluid and 3 quarts Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF.

All okay?

Throw 3oz of Lubeguard Red in with the M1 and if you never change it again it will probably out last the truck 3x over. Never the less good choices. I plan on using Valv. Merc V/ 3oz of Lubeguard in my Ranger the next time, 30k(ci), gear lube will stay syntethic with this time being 50k and the next 100k.

Originally Posted By: lancerplayer
About to do the fluid changes tomorrow. Just want to make sure I got fluids that will be find for my truck.

I got 3 quarts NAPA 80w/85w-90 conventional differential fluid and 3 quarts Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF.

All okay?

Sounds good to me.

my 91 ranger had 240K+ on it. I had three different fills in there, and what made it shift the best for me was a mix of Pennzoil Syncromesh, and 2 quarts of Merc spec'd Mobil 1 ATF. If you're shift rail plugs are leaking fix those first :)

Originally Posted By: Buffman
If you're shift rail plugs are leaking fix those first :)

x2. It is probably good to replace these every few years as preventive maintenance, especially since it only costs a few dollars and can be done in less than 10 minutes. Just pull the old plugs out with a flat head screwdriver and push the new ones in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back