Stop leak additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have a beater, I'd throw a bunch of different brands in until something works. If it's a good car, daily commuter etc....get it fixed properly.
I used STP oil treatment in my old YJ in the winter.....starting in the cold it would smoke pretty good until it warmed up. STP seemed to cure that. I only used it in the winter as summer wasn't an issue.
I did use some Bardahl no smoke stop leak in a lawnmower a few weeks ago. [censored] old 3.5hp B&S that started smoking like crazy....I guess the rings are done. Needless to say it ran like [censored] as well. It took about an hour of use and them all of a sudden the smoke stopped and it ran much better. I don't know how long it will last though.....time will tell.

Well, some leaks simply are not worth fixing the right way, cost is prohibitive. In myhcase minimum of $1,000 but could be double that.

Anyway, my question is this, no one has addressed what affect these oil stop leak additives have on the anti wear additives, the detergent additives and the lubricating properties of the sump that they are added to. no effect or are we reducing the effectives of the oil by adding them??? Should it affect the OCI in use?

Crank and cam seals are quite expensive to replace, ARX works really well at curing those ills. Gaskets are another story, those just simply need to replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back