Canada Health Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Or are you going to trot out the fear option of the big bad gov taking over your health care?

That is the end goal. Those pushing the "public option" have stated as much. It has already happened in Australia. The only reason Oz has a private system is because their government wants one.

What makes you think that the government will cover people better than a private system? Their #1 goal is to cut costs. The easiest way is to reduce services, which has already happened in the current government controlled health care systems. Killing advancement is yet another way.

Our government seriously considered making returning, injured soldiers have their war injuries be covered by private insurance as a way to cut gov. costs. If that is the opinion it has of people giving of themselves to keep our country safe, what opinion do you think they have of you?

To the OP. I work in the health care system and am quite happy with it. yes it has flaws, but I would not trade it for anything. I have dealt with few US health matter when tourist's are injured up here, they always seem so concerned about insurance and worried about money. I am glad I dont live in a country with a system like that.

We are all going to defend our own systems, but Bill in Utah, you need to do more research and not listen to CNN :S. We get a lot of US news up here, its hilarious what is stated on your news channels regarding Canada, its quite commical.

Anyways, lastly Bill in Utah, if our health care system is bad then why are we ranked 7 spots higher than the USA.

http://www.photius.com/rankings/healthranks.html

and we live longer.
http://www.photius.com/rankings/healthy_life_table2.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tempest
That is the end goal. Those pushing the "public option" have stated as much. It has already happened in Australia. The only reason Oz has a private system is because their government wants one.

Just out of interest Tempest, how long do you think Oz has had private health insurance ?

Originally Posted By: Tempest
What makes you think that the government will cover people better than a private system? Their #1 goal is to cut costs. The easiest way is to reduce services, which has already happened in the current government controlled health care systems.

The most disgusting things that I have seen in healthcare in Australia have been in private hospitals, with patients using private health insurance.

Insurer cuts bed rate by 10% at 28 days, private hospital kicks out patients rather than taking the 10% cut...how is that any less "rationing" than any Govt system ?

Quote:
Sydney man Paul Curtis, 31, returned to the hospital after two days in agony and it was found he had a chip out of his spine that could have severed his spinal cord.

Mr Curtis was sent home when he went to Ryde Hospital on May 29 after accidentally knocking heads with a friend at a youth group activity.

He spent two days in agony before returning to the same hospital complaining of continued head pain.

Mr Curtis, from Carlingford, said he was astonished to discover he had a chip out of his spine that could have severed his spinal cord.
Mr Curtis said he was told he couldn't have an X-ray when he first presented at the hospital because its radiology unit was shut for the night.

He says he doesn't blame hospital staff, but wants better government funding to ensure it doesn't happen again.

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2009/06/22/80285_fun-weird-news.html

Quote:
Just out of interest Tempest, how long do you think Oz has had private health insurance ?

Your current public system was put into place in 1984 so I assume you had private insurance before that? Not sure as to the relevance?

Last edited:
Quote:
we ranked 7 spots higher than the USA.

The UN ranks a socialized system higher than a private system. Shocking...
Quote:
and we live longer.

Already been covered in the thread.

I would be more than happy to read another ranking system that is done by a third party regarding health care on a country scale. Sorry to re post info.

Quote:
At least 460 patients infected with the lethal superbug C. difficile have died in Ontario hospitals over the past 30 months.

A tally by the Hamilton Spectator shows that 463 infected patients died at just 22 of Ontario's 157 hospitals. The deaths occurred between January 2006 and May 2008. New figures compiled by the newspaper show Clostridium difficile, a bacterium that attacks the intestines, has assaulted more hospitals and claimed more lives than previously known. The Spectator's previous tally showed 264 deaths at seven hospitals since 2006.

Health Minister David Caplan, who replaced George Smitherman last month, has said the government has no plans to call an inquiry.

http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/454176

Quote:
The WHO issued its first SARS health alert on February 11. This was distributed to Toronto health authorities more than two weeks before the city’s first SARS fatality, Kwan Sui-Chu, having recently returned from Hong Kong, went to her doctor with the known symptoms of fever, coughing and muscle tenderness on February 28. Her doctor, apparently not notified of the SARS alert, sent her home with an antibiotic prescription, the norm in Canada.

Kwan Sui-Chu died on March 5, but a coroner listed her cause of death as “heart attack.” On March 7, her son, Tse Chi Kwai, suffering the same symptoms, attended Scarborough Grace hospital, only to be left on an emergency room gurney for 12 hours, exposed to hundreds of people. No connection was drawn to SARS until Tse died on March 13.

Even then, hospitals did not screen health workers or close family members of SARS suspects, permitting the disease to spread more widely, infecting York Central hospital and exposing some 500 members of a Catholic church group on March 28.

By that stage, after years of federal and provincial spending cuts, hospital closures and job destruction throughout the public health system, hospital and emergency services were so over-stretched that health workers who were exposed to infection were obliged to remain on the job. Some returned to work wearing surgical masks and gloves. (This week, health officials announced that these measures were inadequate for protection against SARS.)

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2003/apr2003/sars-a25.shtml

Tempest thanks for the link, interesting read. The problem with it, is its American based talking about their system... of course they are going to say its better. Need non-biased.

Last edited:
I love how many Americans are jumping all over our system in this thread and they have never experienced it first hand... Meanwhile not one Canadian in this thread has a bad thing to say and defends it for the great system it is.

I have experienced the American system second hand as I have relatives in the states who don't visit the doctor because they can't afford to at times or are selling off assets to pay for surgeries because their health plan coverage has been canceled etc. and all the horror stories I have heard via American media just adds more fuel to the fire.

I challenge any one of you, next time you are in Canada to tag a long with one of us Canadians for a regular doctors visit and question the doctors and hospitals yourself or pay the $60 and visit a doctor and see the service you get and compare it to your own before going by CNN and other American media outlets which IMO are controlled by the private sector corporations.

Ok... I'm off the soapbox now.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I love how many Americans are jumping all over our system in this thread and they have never experienced it first hand... Meanwhile not one Canadian in this thread has a bad thing to say and defends it for the great system it is.

I agree, Gee they seem real touchy about it!

Our system is not perfect, but it is for everyone, and from what I have seen from friends and relatives, the care is pretty good.
Sure, in just about any instance, if you have the money, you could get better, quicker, in the U.S. But if you have ever been in a position where you have been down on your luck, you will soon appreciate a social health service.
Canada is not my place of birth, I came here as an adult, I was not Brainwashed into believing this country is anything other than what I perceive it to be.
It's not perfect. it's not bad.
But our healthcare covers everyone!
At the moment!
In the future Both our countries will need to make changes due to changing demographics.
Personally I put more faith in our elected politicians, than 'for profit' corporations.

Originally Posted By: expat

I agree, Gee they seem real touchy about it!

Our system is not perfect, but it is for everyone, and from what I have seen from friends and relatives, the care is pretty good.
Sure, in just about any instance, if you have the money, you could get better, quicker, in the U.S. But if you have ever been in a position where you have been down on your luck, you will soon appreciate a social health service.
Canada is not my place of birth, I came here as an adult, I was not Brainwashed into believing this country is anything other than what I perceive it to be.
It's not perfect. it's not bad.
But our healthcare covers everyone!
At the moment!
In the future Both our countries will need to make changes due to changing demographics.
Personally I put more faith in our elected politicians, than 'for profit' corporations.

I totally agree... My dad immigrated to this country and the health care here is far superior to his home country. Sure our system isn't perfect, but what system is?

I stand behind what you said... It's for everyone and can't be taken away!
wink.gif

Keep in mind that it's a small vocal minority of Americans here.

If that same group spent as much energy looking for horror stories in the American system, they could come up with even more stories.

I know one thing, the health insurance industry is scared plenty about "change" to their industry. "Change" has already happened to the big 2. I'm getting spammed at work with company emails almost everyday about sending letters to Washington about my opinion of healthcare reform and joining a healthcare reform committee to represent the company.
grin2.gif

Bottom line. The American system isn't perfect, BUT the gov't will make it worse if we let them have the reigns.

I have MS. I was diagnosed back in 2001. Since that time I've had to take a shot once a week. These shots cost roughly $1300 a month if I had to pay for them myself. With my insurance my copay was $25 a month.

Well a year or two later the company I worked for got bought out so our insurance changed. My copay was now 20%, $260 a month up to $2000 out of pocket for the year so the last several months would be free. I basically now had a car payment every month. I voiced my distain to my employer who then gave me a 2K a year raise to cover that expense. Awsome.

When calling the company to order some new meds I mentioned something about this to her and she put me on a plan where all I had to pay for was the shipping of the medicine to me. $75 a year.

I then got laid off from that job and lost all ins. coverage. So for the next 3 years I had no ins. Paid for all doctors visits and prescriptions 100%.

With private pay my doctor only charged me $40
My Neurologist was $50 a visit.
My MS medication was $75 a year.
Generic brand medicines are $4 at Walmarts and other retailers.
My yearly MRI's (4 different scans) was only $375

The only thing I needed ins. for was in case something big happened. That type of ins. can be had fairly cheaply. You just have to take the time to look for it. Most people don't want to put out the effort to do that.

My personal feeling is that people should be respnsible for themselves.

If you save nothing for retirement even though you know you should, well tough [censored] for you then. Looks like you'll be eating Ramen until you run out of money so you better keep working.

If you don't want to be bothered with actually taking the time too seek out things that can help you without much cost.. Then don't [censored] when you pay so much.

If you consciously decide to not try to be healthy. Then don't come crying to me when your health goes to [censored].

I should have the option of helping someone if I want to. Not have the money that I work [censored] hard to earn forcefully taken form me. That's robbery.

If you are physically and mentally able to work, but decide not to then screw you, find an underpass somewhere and go die, you're of no use to the rest of the world.

I said this in another thread.. I get real [censored] tired of going to the grocery store and seeing the mom with 5 kids that look like they haven't bathed in forever, with 3 baskets full of all the top shelf stuff, paying for it with their food stamps, then pulling out the $100 bill to pay for all the beer and liquor. Then rounding everyone up and heading out to the new 80K Escalade with 10k worth of rims and tires on it and driving off with the 8k worth of stereo bassing the whole parking lot. Going home to their govt. provided section 8 housing where they do nothing all day and still get a check every month and a nice tax refund at the end of the year when they paid NOTHING in taxes to begin with.

The whole welfare state needs to be done away with so that people might actually start to have some little bit of resposibility for themselves instead waiting for the oh so great Govt. to screw the money out of us that work hard so that the people that don't want to do squat can live as good or better than we do. It's [censored] [censored] and I'm tired of it.

Look at any govt. run thing and you could find a retarded ape that could probably do a more efficient job of it.

GOOD LORD I'M MAD NOW. I need to go relax. SERENITY NOW>>>>>

But what about the 5 or so percent of people who are unemployed because that's the "sweet spot" for inflation...they may want to work, but there's not enough jobs ?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
But what about the 5 or so percent of people who are unemployed because that's the "sweet spot" for inflation...they may want to work, but there's not enough jobs ?

Getting all the illegals out of here should free up plenty of jobs for those people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back