Diesel Engine Idling Test On Oil Test Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
It took 265 pages to say that 1000 hours of idling was easier on the oil and did not produce as much wear as 5000 miles of driving.

Fairly pointless-seeming test.. but I found it useful to look deep at the oil analysis and filter testing. I wondered what all the iding would do the the fuel contamination numbers and was amazed at how low they were. Then I read the bypass fitler has a heating element to bake away the fuel. I wonder how a "regular" diesel would have done without that heating device. A lot of useful background information and interesting for an "oilhead" like me but I would characterize it as a waste of taxpayer's money.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Fairly pointless-seeming test.. but I found it useful to look deep at the oil analysis and filter testing. I wondered what all the iding would do the the fuel contamination numbers and was amazed at how low they were. Then I read the bypass fitler has a heating element to bake away the fuel. I wonder how a "regular" diesel would have done without that heating device. A lot of useful background information and interesting for an "oilhead" like me but I would characterize it as a waste of taxpayer's money.

That same bypass filter heating element was installed on a slew of local county school buses 10 years ago and the end result was sludge and engines failing.
County removed all the units.
I even was harassed by the same salesman selling them units for about 3 years, I never bought it.
I did laugh at the county workers busting thier butts cleaning out the engines for 5 months.
Javier

Last edited:
I used to have an 04 golf TDI, and it would idle for tens of hours throughout an OCI, i would routinely have it idling for up to 2 hours, at least a few times a week. Analysis results were always flawless (of course, the mobil 1 TDT helped im sure)

PS, the reason for this is, I sometimes had to take naps in my car, and if it was hot or cold out, I would have the A/C or heat going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back