3K Oil changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MBCLK
Well, from what ive read in UOAs...there are more additives in synthetics than conventional oil.

Can you share some links? I thought the add packs are pretty close nowadays.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: MBCLK
Well, from what ive read in UOAs...there are more additives in synthetics than conventional oil.

Can you share some links? I thought the add packs are pretty close nowadays.

I dont know where I have read it but have read it on numerous occasions that its hard to forget. Overall, The chief advantages to using synthetic motor oils are typically considered to be better at extended drain intervals, have better thermal stability, better cold flow characteristics, superior additive packages, and a lower coefficient of friction (resulting in lower engine wear and better gas mileage).

As long as we are just offering general statements, here is one: oil makers are probably going to save their most expensive additive packages for the higher-priced synthetic oils. They are not going to include the same or similarly-concentrated additive packages in the $2 oil as they do in the $7 oil.

The Valvoline 300,000 mile synpower guarantee requires 3k mile oil changes. Not too many people will stick to that, particularly those running synthetic oil on engines in top condition. 4-6k is really making more sense as of late,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back