6.4 Ford sludge

Status
Not open for further replies.
1st post here I am looking for some good advice, I have a 2008 F450 that had turbo failure with 24,000 miles, Took it in for warranty, they changed out a high speed turbo then they said the engine has sludge and told me I have to pay for repair.
I went to ford and pulled a UOA and this is what it looked like,
I used a popular diesel synthetic 5W30 brand oil.
miles on oil sample
Aluminum 13
Chromium 2
nickel 2
Iron 162
Copper 9
Lead 43
Tin 5
Moly 9
Potassium 15
Silicon 10
Sodium 424
Calcium 1709
Magnesium 63
Phosphorus 733
boron 5
Zinc 816
cST Viscosity @100 10.2
TBN 5.54
OXIDATION 15
NITRATION 16
fuel 0.4%
soot 0.6%
water infrared they told me sludge is from lack of oil changes
I told them the oil is good but loaded with coolant
they said no way it is not milkshaked.
so I did a little more research and found this article

http://oilanalysis.com/article_detail.asp?articleid=193

You know I buy a new truck and this is how Ford treats me?
I have not had my work truck since may3
mad.gif

I know I have coolant in the oil but the experts tell me different at Ford?
thanks in advance for your replies
Javier

We need to know what kind of oil you used and who told you to ignor your warranty. This would be helpful.

Did you tell the dealer you had 19K on the oil? Is this the only UOA you did? To go 19K you normally need to trend the UOAs to the oil. Did they have any notes with the UOA?

A bypass oil filter is what you need if you want to do long drains. Doing them while under warranty is tricky.

Oh and
welcome2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BobFout
Soot and TBN are good. EGR isn't affecting it.

Yes, but EGR equipped diesels are inherently harder on oil AFAIK.

I agree it is, but as I understand it, it manifests itself by affecting the oil in some way. Either increased wear and/or thickening due to too much soot, or lowering TBN/raising TAN to the point it's no longer useful.

It's funny that your sodium is so high and your potassium still relatively low. Usually those go hand in hand when you're getting coolant in your oil. I've been getting small amounts of coolant in my oil and it looks fine ( not milkshake ) but has trace amounts in it. The front of my oil pan gasket leaks and then I had a leaky water pump that was dripping coolant right over the front of the pan. When I replaced my water pump, the coolant in my oil went away.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Did you tell the dealer you had 19K on the oil? Is this the only UOA you did? To go 19K you normally need to trend the UOAs to the oil. Did they have any notes with the UOA?

A bypass oil filter is what you need if you want to do long drains. Doing them while under warranty is tricky.

Oh and
welcome2.gif

notes on the report goes like this>>>>> data flagged for observation only; Cylinder region metals(pistons, rings,liners etc.) are at a MODERATE LEVEL; Bearing metal is at a MODERATE LEVEL; Sodium is at a MODERATE LEVEL; Sodium sources: coolant(antifreeze), lube additive or supplement and/or enviromental contaminant; Flagged additive levels are different levels than what should be present for the lubricant that is identified for this unit.( this does not imply that the lubricant does not meet proper API,SAE, or ISO classifications);

The dealer says the oil is cooked and that is why the sludge is present.
Javier

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
19,000 miles on 5w30 in a diesel with EGR and it's Ford's fault???????

+1

+2 I can't see how Ford is to blame here, sorry. That was one long OCI. Here is an example of how not following mfg spec's can bite you in the arse in the event of a problem. JMO

I feel bad for the OP, but Ford is spot on here.

AD

Originally Posted By: nutsbolts

What popular oil was this?

I do not own a 6.4 Ford diesel, but would like to know what viscosity oil does Ford recommend in these.

Originally Posted By: ADFD1

+1

+2 I can't see how Ford is to blame here, sorry. That was one long OCI. Here is an example of how not following mfg spec's can bite you in the arse in the event of a problem. JMO

AD

Well I am not alone in this, people using Ford mfg spec's are getting the run around too.
http://tow411.yuku.com/topic/53066/t/6-4-liter-oil-sludge-at-33-000-miles.html
Originally Posted By: BoiseRob
It's got to be Amsoil... What other oil company has 5w30 HDEO?

http://eolcs.api.org/DisplayLicenseInfo.asp?LicenseNo=0021

Last edited:
Well, I feel their pain and there seems to be a problem, but IMHO those wrecker drivers might have a better leg to stand on than you do. If what they are saying is correct, at least they were using a recommended oil, and changing it some where in the recommended change interval Ford recommends. However, you are not using a viscosity recommended by Ford and 19K is way over the recommended change interval. You would probably have a better fight if you would have done what Ford said.

Would still like to know what brand of 5W-30 you were using without guessing, and what filters you were using.

Sorry, looks like we were posting at the same time. As for as I'm concerned the brand of oil does make a difference, if it does not meet all of the Ford and API specs. But, it's your truck and your oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ADFD1

+1

AD

Well I am not alone in this, people using Ford mfg spec's are getting the run around too.
http://tow411.yuku.com/topic/53066/t/6-4-liter-oil-sludge-at-33-000-miles.html
Originally Posted By: BoiseRob
It's got to be Amsoil... What other oil company has 5w30 HDEO?

http://eolcs.api.org/DisplayLicenseInfo.asp?LicenseNo=0021

Originally Posted By: Johnny

What popular oil was this?

I do not own a 6.4 Ford diesel, but would like to know what viscosity oil does Ford recommend in these.
The warranty booklet calls for SAE VISCOSITY GRADES 0W30/15W40
The brand oil I used is not in question, it is the condition of the oil in my truck that is in question.
Is it within SAE API ISO classifications or not?
Javier

I don't get why someone would pay around $ 40,000 for a pickup and then decide oil changes were not necessary. Ford says the engine is sludged. That wouldn't happen with Delo or Rotella 15w-40 changed at the recommended intervals, allowing for severe duty service. I can't see where you have a complaint against Ford since you abused your engine and violated the warranty conditions. Even a synthetic usually has some dino carriers in it that could be subject to sludging from overuse and overheating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back