What full synthetic 2-stroke oil to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some real old 1970's trial bikes that finding engine parts in either factory NOS or aftermarket is nearly impossible. The pistons are pretty tight as of now and I want to keep them that way, what is the BEST 2 stroke oil money can buy?

All old strokes I see have major piston slap, some are even oil injected, so that leads me to believe they were either beat hard, or not mixed or cared for properly.

Is synthetic even good to use in such old bikes?

Originally Posted By: Fordiesel69
I have some real old 1970's trial bikes that finding engine parts in either factory NOS or aftermarket is nearly impossible. The pistons are pretty tight as of now and I want to keep them that way, what is the BEST 2 stroke oil money can buy?

All old strokes I see have major piston slap, some are even oil injected, so that leads me to believe they were either beat hard, or not mixed or cared for properly.

I would run Saber: Amsoil Saber Link mixed to the mfr's instructions, or 35:1 or 40:1.

I ran Torco GP-7 in a 250cc air cooled 3-Wheeler for years and rode it nearly every weekend. Never even pulled the head off it during that time.

I recomend Torco.

I ran 40:1 most of the time and 32:1 at the sand dunes.

I like Yamalube 2R, Ive used in countless bikes without issue. Ive tried other oils but always came back to it. It can be found in any Yamaha shop and is reasonable priced. I currently have a 1980 Yamaha DT175, that I ride regularly, I run it 32:1 in it and never fouled a plug yet, in my hi performance two stroke bikes, I run it 40:1. Its a good oil and I have found a clean engine when tearing a bike down that I used it in. The oil injections in the older two strokes were sort of a bad design, especially the Yamahas, they were gear driven pumps and starved the engine for oil at takeoff and idle. Premix the oil and you will have much better longetivity.

I use Silkolene Pro 2,or Castrol TTS if I can't find the Pro 2.

What are your bikes?.I used to run my 1979 Sherpa T on Castrol synth back in the '80's at 50:1 with no problems,apart from extended plug life.Took the oil pump out of the KT250 and used some oil I forget at 50:1.

Yep, they are a 75 and 76 KT250's and (2) 74' RL250's that are premix.

How did you take the pump out of you kt? Just remove it all together, or just operate it with no oil?

I like amsoil's 2 smoke oil, ran it in my yamaha snowmobiles for
years,,tore down the engine for a fresh'en up(rings),,piston's
were sill in spec by a long shot.but it's grtting to $$ i may
have to look at somthing else...

i wish M1 would come out with a good injected 2 smoke oil..
mad.gif

I think I just took the pump out and covered with a plate,the KT just drips into the intake so premix is no worry.I'm not sure if the RL ran a pressure feed to the left side main like most Suzuki two strokes of the era.There was a cup around the left side bearing that picked up the oil and fed it to the big end....I'd be kinda reluctant to dump the oil pump if that's the case.What used to be done was disconnect the cable and run the pump engine speed only and use premix too....you could still increase the oil pump flow if needed.

Are you on the KT site? Fred in New Zealand makes lots of stuff for the KT,and he's a really helpful guy.I got bits and pieces of him.He modifies a Honda piston for the KT250,std is 1mm oversize for the KT bore - I fitted one to mine and it was perfect.I had the KT for 12 years and sold it about 2003....I've used a Honda TLR200 in twinshock since 2002,but haven't ridden much this season,just a couple of trials.

Take your pick between the esters and ester/castor bases. Remember that the castor and syn/castor oils won't burn as cleanly as the ester synthetics. Half of these have already been mentioned. I bought some Motul 800 2T last week and it smells like bananas !

Synthetic ester based. Pre-mix only.

elf HTX 976 (up to 18,000RPM according to elf)
Motul 800 2T Off Road (The Australian factory KTM team use this, even though KTM Europe is Motorex sponsored)
Castrol XR77 (replaces A747 as Castrol's premium 2 stroke lube)
Silkolene Pro 2T SX (the SX signifies Off Road)

synthetic injected/pre-mix

Castrol Power 1 TTS Racing
Silkolene Comp 2 Plus SX
Motul 710 2T

Castor/synthetic lubes

elf HTX 909 (for up to 25,000RPM (kart) engines)
Maxima Castor 927
Castrol A747
Silkolene Pro KR2 (kart)

Straight castor
Caastrol R30 and R40

What ever you end up choosing, I'd probably lean toward a heavier ratio of oil. 20:1 is usually a very good level of protection, with around 13:1 being the best power production because of lubrication. Will also insulate the intake charge from heat too.

As you increase the amount of oil in your ratio, you'll need to jet up to put more fuel in the combustion chamber to keep the same air fuel ratio too, don't forget.

I will agree that a castor or synthetic will contribute to debris/deposits in the engine.

Originally Posted By: SD26

What ever you end up choosing, I'd probably lean toward a heavier ratio of oil. 20:1 is usually a very good level of protection, with around 13:1 being the best power production because of lubrication. Will also insulate the intake charge from heat too.

As you increase the amount of oil in your ratio, you'll need to jet up to put more fuel in the combustion chamber to keep the same air fuel ratio too, don't forget.

I will agree that a castor or synthetic will contribute to debris/deposits in the engine.

So you suggest a heavier dose of oil to the fuel? But what about the huge excees cloud of smoke. I certainly don't mind, but at 20:1 or less, it is almost unbearable for followers. 32:1 seems ok and the plug doesn;t foul.

How is bel ray Si-7 oil? What kind of base is it?

These are trials bikes - they are not screaming WOT at 12,000rpm.Most of the work is done around idle with the odd surge into mid range,and very occasionally a hard out 3rd gear climb that is over in less than 10 seconds.40 or 50:1 on a good synthetic is fine,and they will run cleaner which is a bonus on the hairy running KT250.

I tend to agree with Silk, if the bikes are trials ridden.

Some of race oils mentioned might run pretty dirty in a low load-temp application, even synthetic ester or whatever. They usually formulate for high combustion temps and load of the intended applications usually using thick bright stock (or a synthetic substitute). I've seen them run clean at 1200-1300f egts on a well tuned motor, same oil make a big mess in something run jetted safe and sane at 900-1000f egt. Race oils may be positioned on the high end of the price scale within a product line, but that doesn't make them best for all application.

Last edited:
If you are concerned about deposit buildup, look for one that is a JASO FD approved oil.
JASO FD currently has the highest level spec for engine cleanliness for two stroke lubes.

On the list I posted above, all the injector oils meet this spec.

TORCO is the company that invented the first ever smokeless 2-stroke oil in the early 1970's and has worked directly with Yamaha of Japan over the years and supplied oil to them private label as well if you look at Torco 2-stroke oil and Yamaha 2-stroke oil you will notice that Torco offers T-2R 2-stroke oil and Yamaha offers Yamalube 2R... coincidence, I know it is not.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
]

I would run Saber: Amsoil Saber Link mixed to the mfr's instructions, or 35:1 or 40:1.

I "think" I understand the Saber part... that's what I run...

But why so heavy on the oil?
That seems like over-kill on the oil.

I mixed it at 50:1 once, and decided that was overkill for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back