New Battery: Costco or Wal-Mart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a new battery.

I'm thinking either Costco or Wal-Mart. I don't want or need an Optima or anything like that. Just a regular battery. Opinions on either of these two?

They're both probably made by the same manufacturer?

If it's within a buck or two, then go with whichever one you feel has the better warranty. If the car dies when you're 1,000 miles from home, chances are there is a Wal-Mart in the next hick town, and you can get another battery. Wal-Mart is also less likely to argue a warranty claim because of their hugeness, they'll just warranty it out (or straight to the store manager).

They're both made by Johnson's Control. With Costco you have better warranty and it costs less. But you must be a member of Costco at the time you need replacement to get any services.

I bought two for two different cars(Maxima & Explorer) from Sam's which is affiliated with Walmart. Never had a problem with either

Originally Posted By: Solo2driver
If it's within a buck or two, then go with whichever one you feel has the better warranty. If the car dies when you're 1,000 miles from home, chances are there is a Wal-Mart in the next hick town, and you can get another battery. Wal-Mart is also less likely to argue a warranty claim because of their hugeness, they'll just warranty it out (or straight to the store manager).

DITTO

Thanks guys. I'm thinking Wal-Mart too. I'd buy from the local auto parts place (I like to support the mom and pop enterprises) but I need a battery NOW and Costco and Wal-Mart are the only places open. That's what I get for putting it off....
06.gif

Last edited:
I've purchased at least 2 batteries from WM and both were great.
I like the fact that you are covered (warranty wise) wherever there is a WM, which is everywhere.

I carry 2 batteries in my car...

1 under the hood that is within the warranty period.

1 in the trunk that is out of warranty period.

When the warranty of the battery under the hood expires it gets moved to the trunk. The trunk battery gets recycled. ...and I purchase a new under warranty battery for under the hood.

Overkill? Perhaps, but it has saved me some grief a coupla times now.

Ive purchased only 1 Walmart battery and it was a very good battery at a good price. FWIW, not all Walmart batteries are made by Johnson Control, in Va the ones I see are made by Exide.

Walmart's batteries are supposed to be good, but mine failed a load test after only 15 months and was replaced under warranty.

I have a Wal-Mart battery in my car. It's been in for 6 months now and has been just fine. It was the only choice when the OEM battery left me stranded late one snowy winter night in upstate New York.

It's a battery, and a fairly decent one from what I've heard. It sure spins my starter nicely.

costco batteries better than walmart, whats next kenmore appliances are the best ;-)

that popular product review magazine is full of the stuff in very ful diapers.

other user nailed it. u want a source that is nation wide is open when u need a battery and is close by.

Originally Posted By: Gueromeister
Any facts to support your statement? I believe that Consumer Reports(unbiased/objective) had rated their batteries as being quite good.....

Just installed a WM Maxx-whatever.

$75 +tax. If it lasts through the 3-year warranty period, it's good enough for me.

When my stock battery would not keep a charge and failed the load test, I just dropped in a WM MAXX. I was right there, my old battery was out, and I get a discount. Works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back