94 Camry Amsoil ATF - before/after Magnefine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Below are the results from my before and after Magnefine filter test. Vehicle is a 1994 Camry 4.
The Amsoil ATF had 25K on it, did the UOA, drove about 1640 miles installed the Magnefine, then drove 285 miles and did the second UOA (left). I assume in 285 miles, the filter should filter out everything it was going to.

total 201925 200000
on lube 27211 25000

Iron 32 27
Chrom 0 0
Nicke 0 0
alumi 50 50
coppe 107 105
lead 8 8
tin 5 5
cadm 0 0
silve 0 0
titan 0 0
vanad 0 0
silic 11 11
sodiu 11 11
potas 0 2
moly 0 0
anitm 0 0
mang 0 0
lith 0 0
borom 164 187
magne 5 1
calc 118 129
bari 0 0
phos 469 488
zinc 27 31
water VIS 100 cSt 6.1 6.3
TAN 2.79 2.40
Oxid 39 40
Nitr 8 9

OAI flagged the overall test as a 3 (higher of the two abnormal)
The aluminum was also flagged as abnormal and the tin as slightly high.

Interesting that it increases Iron/boron/copper when it should have gone down given the magnetic properties of the filter. Thanks for posting. I was contemplating buying this filter but decided against it after this.

Too bad your oil analysis results don't report Total Solids...I think this would be the real proof the filter is doing something. I am not sure the metals would change greatly over such a short run with the magnefine - remember there is still a "strainer" type filter in there as well.

well I could spend $75 to get an analytical ferrogram where the put a sample on a slide under an electron microscope and look at the particle sizes. But can only do this for the "after" sample as they only hold samples for 10 dsys.

They told me the normal use of an analytical ferrogram is for large factory gearboxes, construction equipment, not auto tranny.

Well I guess I was hoping that there were aluminum particles in the ATF that (from the before to after test) would be caught by the filter and thus the "after" test would be much lower in the wear meatals area.

The Magnefine web site says it catches 99.97% of metal wear particles. Aluminum is a metal and should be caught. If all they do for non ferrous metals is to catch them with a 25 micron filter I think it would be impossible to catch 99.97% of wear metal particles.

I sent the Magnefine email addr a copy of my before and after UOA and so far no response.

I still think the Magnefine is a good filter that can be installed in a few minutes spliced into the cooler lines.

But if I owned a truck with lots of room I might go for a hydraulic spin-on filter where it would catch much smaller particles than the Magnefine.

A filter won't take out dissolved metals or very fine particles of metals.

The analyses show no change.

Last edited:
I am curious how they would reply to it too seeing that the filter doesn't work as advertised. Iron definitely should be trending downward being a ferrous metal and thus should be magnetized onto the filter. And this is only a short run. It would definitely trend higher in a longer interval period should you decide to do another analysis I am positive of that.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
A filter won't take out dissolved metals or very fine particles of metals.

The analyses show no change.

A magnet should remove most of the ferrous metal particles and the iron shows a slight upward trend.

I guess I would prefer a much smaller micron filter, maybe difficult to to in a filter the size it is without any flow restrictions.

Last edited:
Yes, Donald ..but dissolved solids react differently than suspended solids. They're, more or less, integrated into the fluid. So while you may reduce the total solid mass, you won't necessarily effect the particle level numbers.

That is, some things won't precipitate once in solution. I can't speak intelligently on the topic ..per se~ ..but I discovered this in my dealings with clarification. I would infuse charged polymers to collect suspended particles through "floculation" (flocking together). If I needed to cope with over 1ppm of Cu ..I had to infused a chelant that would encapsulate the copper. At that point I really can't say if it was precipitated..or just masked from the test.

Essentially, I could precipitate suspended solids ..but I couldn't use the same method for dissolved solids.

I decided to go for a 1500 mile Auto-Rx cleaning in the trans then do a cooler line flush. Given this vehicle is over 200K I may look for Mobil 1 ATF cheap at Walmart, if not, the more Amsoil ATF. I will change the Magnefine filter after the cooler line flush.

Maybe another sample at 25K miles into new ATF. But how long can the trans last? While its a Toyota, its got 203K on it now.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I decided to go for a 1500 mile Auto-Rx cleaning in the trans then do a cooler line flush. Given this vehicle is over 200K I may look for Mobil 1 ATF cheap at Walmart, if not, the more Amsoil ATF. I will change the Magnefine filter after the cooler line flush.

Maybe another sample at 25K miles into new ATF. But how long can the trans last? While its a Toyota, its got 203K on it now.

hard to say how long.. if you keep the tranny fluid nice and fresh and dont drive the snot out of it (hard on the pedal) it should last a while longer..

Donald: Next time, have particle analysis done. I installed a Magnefine on my F-150, and did before and after analysis. In only 400 miles the particle count was reduced by about 30 percent. Will be doing another test soon and will eventually post them all.

I bought my kids some neodymium "super magnets" one year. I stick a cubic one on my wife's oil filter, stays on until I change the filter. I think I'll stick (no pun intended) with these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back