A good brake grease/lubricant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kestas
Personally, I think nothing can beat Molykote M-77 for caliper slidng pins. It has the best of both worlds... silicone grease for resistance to high temperature and water washout, and moly disulfide for EP service.

http://www3.dowcorning.com/DataFiles/090007c88000445b.pdf

You can even use it to butter the caliper piston bore where all the corrosion occurs. The silicone grease would keep the corrosive environment out of the caliper seal area without interfering with the brake fluid.

Someone here M-77 attacks rubber, but I used it on slide pins before.

I just did a brake/bearing job on my friend's beater Toyota truck - I used M-77 on the backing plates/shims/slide pins.

If you read Kestas' link M-77 is specifically recommended for brake parts and other parts "not resistant to mineral oils"
Its features are "Compatable with many types of elastomers and plastics"

Personally, I think nothing can beat Molykote M-77 for caliper slidng pins. It has the best of both worlds... silicone grease for resistance to high temperature and water washout, and moly disulfide for EP service.

http://www3.dowcorning.com/DataFiles/090007c88000445b.pdf

You can even use it to butter the caliper piston bore where all the corrosion occurs. The silicone grease would keep the corrosive environment out of the caliper seal area without interfering with the brake fluid.

http://www.permatex.com/documents/tds/Automotive/24125.pdf

Non-Petroleum, Non-Silicone, with Ceramic EP elements. :D

Chemical Type Synthetic base oil
Appearance Purple paste
Specific Gravity --- 0.95
Worked penetration (60 strokes),ASTM D-217 --- 265-295
Dropping point, ºC (ºF) ASTM D-2265 --- None
NLGI Number --- 2
Rust Preventative Test ASTM D-1743 --- Pass
Water Washout @100F, % Loss, ASTM D-1264 --- 2.0%
Timken OK Load, lbs. , ASTM D-2509 --- 45lbs.
Four-Ball Wear Scar, mm (40 kg. 1 hr 1200 RPM) ASTM D-2266 --- 0.6mm

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nthach
Molykote M77, spec'd by Honda and MB.

I think that the MB Brake pad paste (Bremsklotzpaste), Part No. A 001 989 94 51 is Copper based Anti-Seize, but not sure. Can anybody tell me the exactly color of that grease?

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Its features are "Compatable with many types of elastomers and plastics"

Honda is not recommend the Molykote M77 for rubber parts of brake system.
Here is recommended Honda’s brake lubes:

Honda Caliper Grease, 08C30-B0224M
Brembo Brake Grease, 08798-9027
3M Brake Lube, 08945
Molykote M77, 08798-9010

Personally, I think nothing can beat Molykote M-77

Kestas, what’s percentage of Moly in M77?
I know, who can beat it around the planet earth.

The MSDS sheet shows it has >60% moly disulfide by weight.

pls show

Originally Posted By: Konst
I think that the MB Brake pad paste (Bremsklotzpaste), Part No. A 001 989 94 51 is Copper based Anti-Seize, but not sure.

I seriously doubt that this is a copper paste! Copper paste easily contaminates ABS sensors, and all current MB cars have ABS. Copper paste is not legal to use on brake systems equipped with ABS in Germany.

I have analyzed MB brake pad paste in the lab and can categorically tell you that it IS copper-based antiseize.

How can it wreak havoc with the ABS system? The paste is not magnetic. On the other hand, nickel-based antiseize is magnetic.

I have analyzed MB brake pad paste in the lab and can categorically tell you that it IS copper-based antiseize.

How can it wreak havoc with the ABS system? The paste is not magnetic. On the other hand, nickel-based antiseize is magnetic.

I guess MB is unloading their old copper paste (or it's meant to be used on old vehicles without ABS).

Copper paste is extremely sticky and may gum up the ABS sensor. That's the official reason for not using it.

I looked around on German MB forums. There they say MB is using ceramic brake paste, which is safe for ABS.

This is the grease that is supposed to be put on the pad tabs that sit in the caliper bracket, correct? Anyone north of the border know if any of these are available up here or where to get them? Took a look at PS one day and couldn't find anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back