20 Minute Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to quickly put together an impromptu instrument case. I managed in about 20 minutes with stuff found around my place. Someone may find this useful and may want to make a case like that for a watch, a compass, etc.

Stainless steel case with 2.5 inch diameter:
case1.jpg

When the lid is removed, the instrument rises up and can easily be removed:
case2.jpg

Note the spring suspension:
case3.jpg

Note the layers of felt (brown) and EVA foam (green). Note that the stainless steel box has a folded upper edge that functions as a retainer. Without that edge, the layers would pop out of the case:
case4.jpg

Components:
case5.jpg

Layers from the bottom of box to top:

1. PU foam to supply springiness -- I should have cut a round piece
wink.gif

2. pliable plastic grid -- provides a firm base
3. layer of PU foam, cut with circle cutter
4. two felt layers (with adhesive backing), cut with circle cutter
5. PU foam with cut out for the instrument's knobs, cut with a circle cutter and a scalpel
6. a piece of felt inside the lid over alayer of PU foam

The instrument is safely suspended in a fairly shock resistant manner and rises conveniently about a 3/8 inch once the lid is removed.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Nice stopwatch :D

I can take credit only for the case, tovarish!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Nice stopwatch :D
I was wondering what that was, lol.

I can't read Russian, so can only assume that it's a stopwatch that ends on Dec 24 2012.

I can't read Russian, so can only assume that it's a stopwatch that ends on Dec 24 2012.

But wouldn't that make it an Aztec Doomsday watch? It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine!

Can't you see Russia from Aztecia ?

I think it was the mayans...Mum and Dad bought a house when I was 11, and the main passage was wallpapered in the circular stone calendar ... It freaked me out then, and the was pre-internet.

Very nice work moribundman. I love it when a homemade custom project looks nicely factory made. Excellent!

I think it was the mayans

The Aztec, the Inca, and the Mayan calendar end in 2012. Some end on December 21st some a few days later, methinks.

Quote:

Mum and Dad bought a house when I was 11, and the main passage was wallpapered in the circular stone calendar ... It freaked me out then, and the was pre-internet.

Maybe it was a portal...

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Very nice work moribundman. I love it when a homemade custom project looks nicely factory made. Excellent!

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Mori, the mad machinist

Nice alliteration! Thanks for the compliment. I'm really just glad nobody has asked me (yet) what brand circle cutter I used.
wink.gif

Nice case - the uses for something like this could be endless. Too bad I have none of those things lying around the house.

Originally Posted By: hate2work
Originally Posted By: Johnny
I was more interested in what kind of camera you use to take the pictures.
grin2.gif

27.gif
INCOMING!!!!

I should have used three of these
grin2.gif
grin2.gif
grin2.gif
. I'm pretty sure Mori knows I'm kidding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back