Anyone else dissapointed by Honda cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: millerbl00
Not only the dealers refused to honor the warranty Honda arbitration refused.

What was the reason that they gave you?

Bought Chevys from 1994 to 2001. 4 were brand new. Shot after 60k miles.

Finally gave up and bought a new Honda after friends said they were bullet proof. Engine shot after 15k miles. Honda would not honor warrenty. After 3 months of fighting gave up and sold for big loss.

Bought an F150 used, cheap. Never had ANY problems. Bought 3 more Fords over the years just to change. ALL of the were really bullet proof and cheap.

Also had two Toyota's and one Nissan brand new. Nothing but problems.

Just my experience.

Just the opposite for my family and friends. My father pretty much bought used GM vehicles since he came here in the 70's. He had a 70 something impala he bought with 70k and drove it well into the 80's and junked it at over 200k. Then he had several station wagons well into the 200-300k range and now has a 91 Lumina he had with about 60k and now has 180k, think is on its deathbed now and we are trying to find a newer car for him, hoping to find a deal at some chrysler/GM dealerships that are clearing out inventory. Heard some people got some 2008 models for like 10k dirt cheap.

My father and his friends (one friend swears by Ford) had fords and had nothing but problems(i made a post about it in another thread and got lynched). I myself am not partial to them, some are ridiculously bullet proof and others are well.. My good friend had several hand me down's and i he actually went ballistic against his 80's Turbo T-bird. He's a mechanic and just went ape, he would fix one thing and literally something else would go wrong. Car only had about 65k on it. His father swears by them though, he loved his Mountaineer and hates his Lexus. Glad you loved your F-150 though, their trucks are hard to beat when it comes to reliability and longevity.

99-04 Honda's had lots of problems though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Not only the dealers refused to honor the warranty Honda arbitration refused.

What was the reason that they gave you?

Not to spam post but remembered why I do not like Honda's and Nissans.

The DEALERSHIPS. North Jersey where I reside have some really bad dealerships for honda and nissan. My fiance and her father bought their two altimas at the same time at Route 46 nissan. Sheisty people printed out 2 stored CarFax reports which indicated no damage. Literally 6 months later my fiance's altima was having all sorts of problems and she wanted to get rid of it. The GM dealership printed a fresh carfax that showed her vehicle was in THREE accidents before she had taken ownership of it. Nissan 46 had to have forged/edited the documents because it looked different to what was presented to us. Ran a carfax on her fathers car and same thing, 1 airbag deployment. Fiance ditched her Altima and bought a 2003 Grand AM GT Ram Air last year and hasn't had problems since. Car now has 50k miles on it and she loves it. Her father still has the altima since he dumped so much money into the downpayment and just wants to drive the car till it dies.

Honda has a dealership around here called Planet Honda that would have you sign "finance" documents, then 3 years later you get a letter stating your lease is up. Had a few relatives get sheisted by that.

Wow, thanks for all the great input.

Glad to see that I am not the only one that is not a Honda buff anymore. I do agree 100% that they make great engines but, so does just about every auto manufacturer nowadays. Most new engines will last 300K easy just like Honda, if they are properly maintained.

After everything that has gone wrong, I have been slowly convincing my wife that Honda is not what it used to be. It's going to be a long hard road to break her from Honda. She is impressed with my Elantra and how it's holding up so, that's a start :)

Last edited:
Anies,

With you on the Honda dealerships. The front struts went on our 03 @ under 40 K miles and just over the 3 year warranty. We brought it in and they denied any warranty work... They wanted $1100 for front struts! I literally laughed at the service writer and walked out.

Same with our 02 Civic and the clutch master cylinder. It would squeak real bad then lose pressure. It was about 9 Mos outside the warranty but, only had like 18K miles on it at the time. warranty work denied...

I have only had one and it was without a doubt the best car I've ever had the pleasure of owning . Different needs required the Accord sedan go and a small SUV (cute ute) be ushered in. No problems with the RAV4 but I still miss the '04 Accord. It was a J spec (Japan model) four banger with a five speed stick. Not a rattle, squeak, no problems other than rotors warping which was repaired under warranty.

Our neighbour has an accord and it needs a transmission (160K KM) and my aunt has a '02 civic which she beats the snot out of and it has (240K) and has a bit of piston slap but runs great otherwise. A family friend has a '99 Civic and it has over 400K KM on it and it burns a bit of oil but has been great otherwise and the A/C still works!
grin2.gif

I've had the following Hondas with almost zero problems: 94 Accord LX 2 door, 95 Civic Hatchback, 2000 civic SIR Ferio (back in the Philippines) and our current 99 EX Civic Sedan.

My cousin has a 96 Accord and 98 Odyssey. Another cousin has 2000 Civic DX, Uncle has 2000 Civic LX, and my sister-in-law's 2008 Acura MDX.

All of them runs great with very minimal issues.

Originally Posted By: Huie83
Anies,

With you on the Honda dealerships. The front struts went on our 03 @ under 40 K miles and just over the 3 year warranty. We brought it in and they denied any warranty work... They wanted $1100 for front struts! I literally laughed at the service writer and walked out.

Same with our 02 Civic and the clutch master cylinder. It would squeak real bad then lose pressure. It was about 9 Mos outside the warranty but, only had like 18K miles on it at the time. warranty work denied...

Thats how most of the Honda dealerships and Nissan dealerships are up by me. They will fight you tooth and nail on everything even under warranty!

My local Chevy dealer, my car had 80+k miles on it and one day it drove like a snail. I would hit the gas and it wouldn't go anywhere, personally thought my trans went thats how bad it was. Brought it to the dealer and it was my Cat. The warranty was for 80k on the cat, they honored, [censored] they gave me a free loaner car! Same thing with my local Toyota dealership, brought my car in for warranty work and they gave me a car no problems. GM did it so many times without any question, my car had no warranty and they would routinely fix things for a fair cost and provide me a car. Fiance's Nissan dealership did not. Friends and the honda dealerships did not.

My Nissan i've been servicing myself, and take it to my friend for the more severe stuff since I don't have a lift nor all the tools that he does. To me honesty and service are what sell me a car, not the car itself. Unfortunately our local Chevy dealership closed shop 2 weeks ago due to the recent GM news etc.

I will say again, the 90's Honda's were barnone the BEST Honda has ever created.

The one thing I hate is how they turned a sub 14k car into a 20+ car. The Civic is no longer the affordable car it used to be for so many. You get the right year Honda and your gold, anything early 2000 and your dealing with a fair amount of possible problems.

Originally Posted By: Anies

Thats how most of the Honda dealerships and Nissan dealerships are up by me. They will fight you tooth and nail on everything even under warranty!

Very true with Nissan. I will not buy any of their vehicles because of it.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

Aye, we actually had gone down to Nissan 46 and tried to speak to the manager(you see him on commercials up here) instead got his sub-ordinate. He was basically yelling at my fiance and then I chimed in threatening to go into the showroom and tell the customers what transpired and he threatened to call the cops and press charges against me! He then wanted to buy the car back for 1/3 of what she owed on it. When we said no its not fair for the lies etc, he then tried to push a Mitsubishi(they are part mitsubishi and Nissan). He wanted her to LEASE IT for 6 YEARS! Well we finally were able to ditch the car to Pontiac dealer which gave her 10k for it(she owed 12) so we rolled 2 over onto her Grand AM.

Horrible experiences, do dealerships need to lie cheat and scam people to make a buck. I would think it should be the opposite that wins customers. They want the here and now, no repeat business.

I myself now buy used so I can sit there and haggle and deal them down. On a used car the buyer has far more leverage than a dealer does. Offer low, walk away. You'll be surpised at what you get =)

Last edited:
You really have to do your research with used cars. Run your own vin check, look it over, bring it to a mechanic, etc. before buying.

Originally Posted By: Huie83
Has anyone else had a similar experience with the Honda brand?

My latest car purchase was a 07 Hyundai Elantra which now has 47K miles on it. So far it has been 100% trouble free, no issues at all.
Like others have written above, Honda has cheapened their products a great deal in the past 12 years or so.

All brands sell bad units too.

We bought a 2009 Sonata last year for wife and kids, still have it. Lovely cabin space. Decent engine (i4). Disgusting transmission. Scary flares shifting 2-3 several times a day. Seriously sloppy, clunky suspension. Squeaky windshield. Useless dealer when I complain. "No codes? No problems" is their attitude when under warranty.

Lemon? No, not that bad. But if it were my daily driver I'd go crazy.

I will never buy a Hyundai again.

My dad had a 2000 Acura TL, went through 2 transmissions, a cam seal on the engine, blower motor, the mirror leaked and melted the trim around the gear shift, the sunroof and one of the power windows broke...it was a real gem.

Oh and the throttle body wore a groove in the neck and the throttle plate would stick in the closed position, so a ton of force was required to push the gas pedal and then all of a sudden it would release. That was fun in a parking lot.

I will say again, the 90's Honda's were barnone the BEST Honda has ever created.

The one thing I hate is how they turned a sub 14k car into a 20+ car. The Civic is no longer the affordable car it used to be for so many. You get the right year Honda and your gold, anything early 2000 and your dealing with a fair amount of possible problems.
Is it any wonder... Look at the size and all the stuff they put in the newer versions... Where is the basic econo-box point A-B transportation model that was cheap/reliable and fit the needs?
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

Wondering why?
No skin off their nose,unless the manufacturer wont pay them , but why wouldnt they?
Could they be that stupid that perception is more important than a PO ed customer? And I thought they always had the better customer service?

I've been recommending Hondas to friends for years - good value and very reliable. So I finally bought my first Honda, a new 2007 Accord V6 6-speed manual. Nice car.

The day I took delivery, the transmission started jumping out of first and second gear. All I had to do was lift off, at low speed, like in usual bumper to bumper traffic. It could pop out 2 or 3 times in a block. They eventually replaced the trasmission and all seemed fine for a few months.

With the onset of the first winter, occasionally (when I was creeping down a specific hill at low speed, say at 1200 - 1500 RPM) it started popping out of first gear again. It's hard to replicate (it's done it maybe 20 times, always on that same hill, at low speed only, and only out of first gear) but the Honda dealer's shop foreman has seen it do it.

The dealer put in special Honda transmission fluid (they wanted me to pay for it as "fluids aren't covered under warrantee" but I refused) with no effect. The issue is supposedly being considered by Honda engineering. I don't think they know what to do next. The shifter mechanism has been replaced, the engine/transmission alignment has been checked - everything is apparently fine, but it still pops out of gear. And remember this is the second transmission.

No hand on the gear shift, no foot near the clutch, it just goes pop - into neutral.

Otherwise it seems like a good car. Which feels like being featured in one of the "other than that" jokes.

I've driven stick shifts for 45 years and have never had any another car jump out of gear.

The car is now almost 2 years old, which seems like a long time to put up with a major malfunction. If someone from Honda is reading this, I'd just like to have my car fixed. And if you can't fix it you should replace it or buy it back.

Ecotourist

Sheisty people printed out 2 stored CarFax reports which indicated no damage. Literally 6 months later my fiance's altima was having all sorts of problems and she wanted to get rid of it. The GM dealership printed a fresh carfax that showed her vehicle was in THREE accidents before she had taken ownership of it. Nissan 46 had to have forged/edited the documents because it looked different to what was presented to us. Ran a carfax on her fathers car and same thing, 1 airbag deployment.

It's possible they forged the Carfax reports, but it's also possible the accidents didn't show up until much later. I know a few people who had that happen to them. Sometimes it can take over a year for an event to show up, and suddenly your once-clean Carfax history now has a major blemish on it.

When buying used, it's best to run the VIN yourself not rely on the dealer. It only costs $25 for unlimited reports. Besides, Carfax reports aren't that accurate anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back