High (265K) mileage 4.0 SOHC Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: milwaukee
Not from the oil used. Sorry.

Believe what make you happy though.

Must have been the magic fairies that hopped into my engines with miniature shovels and started digging it off the internals then right?

Get a grip man!

I put Mobil 1 in it, and it started doing the above. This isn't some outlandish claim or "Internet fact" like the claims you are making; I have PICTURES and actual results. You have your opinion.

It's obvious that is Iron from the Mobil1 you were using.

Haha, jk. That is definitely cleaning power. I know that when my oil gets black in 500 miles, it is doing some cleaning, also. Quit telling us oils can't clean.

Originally Posted By: Jaymus
It's obvious that is Iron from the Mobil1 you were using.

Haha, jk. That is definitely cleaning power. I know that when my oil gets black in 500 miles, it is doing some cleaning, also. Quit telling us oils can't clean.

ROFL! HAHAHAHAHAH
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: milwaukee
Not from the oil used. Sorry.

Believe what make you happy though.

Must have been the magic fairies that hopped into my engines with miniature shovels and started digging it off the internals then right?

Get a grip man!

I put Mobil 1 in it, and it started doing the above. This isn't some outlandish claim or "Internet fact" like the claims you are making; I have PICTURES and actual results. You have your opinion.

Next time you post a pic, feel free to use the next finger over. Some people don't like the idea that an oil can actually do some light cleaning.

Back to the OP....
smirk2.gif

You do not have any oil usage problems.

If it was me, I'd stick with what got you to 265k.

If you want (notice the word "want") to run a HM oil then Maxlife would be the only one I'd look at. Seems to be a excellent oil for the $$.

Take care, bill

Since you're thinking about M1, I'd try Mobil1 10W-30 High Mileage in it over the summer, then maybe switch to 5W-30 HM or T&SUV in winter and see how that works out for you. It will be cheaper with a 5QT jug at Wally...

*I would only do so if you plan to extend your OCI beyond 5K after the first couple of runs as it "cleans" things up a bit. Otherwise, just use any HM oil like MaxLife...

Last edited:
M1 TDT DEFINITELY cleans a neglected engine-I used it in my '82 300D (which the PO admitted he hadn't changed the oil in 14K)-it helped with blowby & uneven idle considerably. That being said, prepare to see more leakage/consumption due to the cleaning action. IMHO, if you're only using 1 to 1-1/2 qts. in 5K-that's AWESOME for an engine with that many miles, I'd keep using what I'd been using all along-you're definitely doing something right!

As far as I know, these engines aren't real oil burners. My 96 OHV doesn't burn a drop over an OCI with 179k. Some burning is to be expected I guess with that much mileage and a quart per 5000 miles is much better than some rates I've heard about other engines.

M1 causes some hyjinks the first time I used it too around 140k. One night on the road, oil pressure plummeted and it started to sound like a diesel. Changing the oil and filter again solved the issue so I presume my filter was clogged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back