Storing gasoline indoors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Eddie
So now the people trying to help you are IDIOTs.

Yeah, like I said, I thought this place would be an appropriate place to ask such a question, but I was wrong. My mistake.

I've already asked the same question on an agricultural board,(people who routinely transport and store fuel in drums) and I'm getting good advice and no bi***ing.

You may need to check the NFPA regulations. It has been a long time since I worked in the paint industry. I could be of more help if I remembered more. I am sure you can't just set a drum of gas in the corner. I think a lot of the regulations are based on the flash point. You may need to keep it in a small room with fire resistant walls. Does the building have sprinklers?

Steel drums are available in 10 thickness from paper thin 28 gauge through heavy 12 gauge. No, not all drums are the same. Get a heavy-walled 16g. or better with a closed, welded drum head, not a "open" removable head.

Get a automatic pressure/vacuum relief valve with flame arrestor for one of the bungs.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#steel-drum-caps/=21ql6j

Get a proper hand gasoline pump, so you don't have to open the drum and siphon. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/pro...mps&L1=Pumps%2C

Drive a 8' ground rod next to the drum and bond the drum with #8 bare copper wire and proper clamps to the rod. The wire should continue unspliced and also bond with the electric service entrance ground rod.

I don't really see much to safe guard except from stupidity of other people. You're not likely to grind or dance around with open flames. I was a gas jockey for 4 years and I've seen most everything. Gas is surely volatile, but explosive potential is usually that ..potential. Even when I've seen air cooled engines light up due to fuel being spilled on the engine, they've just burned. They sure lit up easy enough, but that's about it.

I'd probably vent the thing through the small bung just to account for temp swings in the building. I'd send it out the wall ..but, and this is JUST accounting for the 1 in a million odds that the j/o that's doing something really stupid ..just happens to decide to do it where your vent is (it's always THAT j/o that finds YOU), I'd probably make a "water pipe" type receiver for it. It would act like a one of those gooseneck ornamental barometers. Your vent would be introducing the expanded vapors in the hump

regular_Swan%20barometer.JPG

second monkey -- as gary states -- "... except from stupidity of other people". as well,accidents can, and do happen. read your own signature line, and just be careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back