Cost of Amsoil, Will have to covert to the Elf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just returned from my friendly Amsoil warehouse only to discover that the Amsoil 0W30 with tax, (no shipping cost) is now $6.98 per quart ($6.65 Plus 5%). Comapred to the GC at under $5/quart (with tax) for the 0W30, seems like a no brainer in the future. This is dealer pricing, not retail!. I have been a loyal Amsoil user for many years but the pricing on the 0W30 and newer oils (10W30 still comparable) is just going out of sight. If it held up better great but the competition is bearing down!

Just thought I would voice my sticker shock!

I have nothing against Amsoil other than the price points. If I am going to get extravegant and pay top dollar I am likely to order Redline for a truley differnt oil. Top PAO syns such as GC and Mobil 1 EP being priced at retail levels below Amsoils bottom tier products which is going to hurt Amsoil with all but the most dedicated customers. If I could get Amsoil at clearance prices like I often find other great oils I would certainly buy it and use it.

quote:

Top PAO syns such as GC and Mobil 1 EP being priced at retail levels below Amsoils bottom tier products which is going to hurt Amsoil with all but the most dedicated customers.

The S2k oil is a very good oil, but it has always been over priced. We've seen time and again it really isn't that much better then the ASL/ATM. I'm using GC now simply bc it's the best 0w-30 on the market (IMO) and it's cheaper then Amsoil's 0w-30. It might not be the best fit for all engines due to it's thickness, but it's wear performance and viscosity control are unmatched by any other 0w-30. Amsoil's Sk should outperform Castrol's SLX for the cost, but it doesn't.

guys, oil prices are rising across the board. amsoil has increased their prices so has mobil 1 EP. it used to be 23.92/5 quart. now it's $25 and change. Even plain supertech is $1.07/quart. I just got gas today for $2.29 gallon. all time high in this city.

Really the 15W-40, 5/10W-30, the (new) (10w)-SAE30, and even the 5W-40 are OK price points...

I just agree that the 0W-30 and the 5W-30 HDD have always been priced too high.

You betcha. Who would want to pay an extra $10 a year? By the way, according to the latest price list, dlr cost for single qt of 0W-30 is $6.70.
Add 5% tax (33.5 cents), and I figure it would be rounded up to $7.04--you obviously got a deal!

**** - don't bother - these guys can't do annual oil changes!
smile.gif
So it's $20 a year more!

Money isn't the issue for me, it's cost/performance. I think Amsoil S3k is a better buy then the 2k, not that the S2k is a bad oil, it's just not as much of a value IMO. It is a better choice in some applications. Oil prices are going up across the board that is a good point.

I have enough SL Mobil 1 to cover me for a couple of years at 2 bucks a quart picked up on clearance. I am attempting annual oil changes with the inexpensively aquired M1 and will be will be done with year 1 in february.
I can use the savings to justify a UOA. I would rather use the money for wine, beer, fishig bait etc.. But for the sake of the information I have gleened from this site I will be posting UOA's.

Value is my game. I have to pay for the extra gas it takes to drive around on oversized tires somehow.
wink.gif

i had to pay 9 bucks a qrt where im from for series 2000. where do you guys find german castrol. my friend works at a bmw dealership and doesnt even get it

For the money and the quality of the product, I think Amsoil 5W-30 (ASL) is a pretty good deal. It's A3, MB 229.3, and GF-3 rated. I just bought 6 qts. of GC 0W-30 Gold over the weekend for $4.39/qt. to try it. It's pretty much the same as ASL, but ASL is made in America. I leave ASL in for 7,500 to 8,000 miles and it looks great when it comes out. For the money, I feel it's my favorite PCEO.

If I wasn't testing all these different formulations for my own edification, I'd get the 5w-40/AFL by the case and use that in everything, including light duty passenger car diesels. I'm sure some of the RL folks will respectfully disagree,
wink.gif
but I think it's the best 5w-40, ACEA "A3/B4" product out there.

quote:

Originally posted by tuong:
where do you guys find german castrol. my friend works at a bmw dealership and doesnt even get it

AutoZone, the only auto parts store in the U.S. that carries it. Look for "Made in Germany" on the back of the bottle:

-

GC is now $6.19/qt here. Add 9.75% sales tax and a $.02/qt TN oil fee, that's $6.81/qt!!! Makes Amsoil a better "bargain" when the price of off-the-shelf gold GC is this high!

Wow, $6.19/quart? Insane price considering many have purchased it on sale this past week or so for $4.39/quart. I've never paid more than $5.19/quart for any of my GC...but then again, I haven't purchased any in the last month or so. And jeez, 9.75% sales tax, that's nuts. I thought 6% here in PA was bad.

quote:

Originally posted by **** in Falls Church:
You betcha. Who would want to pay an extra $10 a year? By the way, according to the latest price list, dlr cost for single qt of 0W-30 is $6.70.
Add 5% tax (33.5 cents), and I figure it would be rounded up to $7.04--you obviously got a deal!

Well, if the stuff would go beyond 5000-7500 miles (does in one car but not the rest) and I service 5 cars it adds up. After all these years I am also questioning whether, in fact, it has made any differnce in longevity of engine, maybe reduced hassle for cars the kids have at college etc. but actually been beneficial for engine life, not sure, especially since my long time Amsoil usage car has now developed a head gasket oil leak, makes one wonder if dino would have done just as well. oh well, life is full of choices.

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
GC is now $6.19/qt here. Add 9.75% sales tax and a $.02/qt TN oil fee, that's $6.81/qt!!! Makes Amsoil a better "bargain" when the price of off-the-shelf gold GC is this high!

You should take a $3.99/quart Pep Boys coupon to AutoZone and see if they will price match. Most places will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back