What to use for anti rust coating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every month, I bust out several cans of WD40 and liberally spray the whole chassis and underneath with this stuff in all my vehicles. It's starting to become a PITA for me and wanted to find a product that will last longer and is resistant to washoff.

What to you guys recommend to rust proof the underbody?

Krown.

It is the best rust protection I've used. Quite common up here in Canada, given the amount of salt put on our roads.

If you know somebody up here, you might be able to have them ship some of it down to you.

Is it a "lifetime" product or do you have to reapply it at certain intervals?

How about "ghetto" methods, like brushing gear oil onto the frame rails or running a line of grease along the frame rails?

Sorry with my over use of quotation marks.

Originally Posted By: toytundranator
Is it a "lifetime" product or do you have to reapply it at certain intervals?

How about "ghetto" methods, like brushing gear oil onto the frame rails or running a line of grease along the frame rails?

Sorry with my over use of quotation marks.

I get the truck/cars sprayed once a year.

http://www.krown.com/

For info on the product.

It is not designed to provide lifetime protection in a single application. Rather an annual application is supposed to provide lifetime protection.

Hey overkill, how is the 40wt in your Ford 5.4L engine? How many miles on the oil, MPG loss, etc? Oil change is coming up for my F250 in a couple of weeks (I go 6 months for all my vehicles) and I want to try Delo 15W40 in my 5.4L.

Hey overkill, how is the 40wt in your Ford 5.4L engine? How many miles on the oil, MPG loss, etc? Oil change is coming up for my F250 in a couple of weeks (I go 6 months for all my vehicles) and I want to try Delo 15W40 in my 5.4L.

Truck seems to really like it. Coming up on 2,000Km now. No discernible MPG loss, engine is quieter.

Given your location I'd say sure, give it a try!

There's a product down here called "lanolex" (sp?) that contains lanolin...not forever protection, but longer than WD40 I'd say.

We have one of the same called Lanocote,in spray or grease.Something else to do with sheep other than eat or wear them.You could spray it with good old Fisholene,and be friends with all the cats in your neighbourhood.I have something at work called Rustolene,from what I can make out on the old drum....seems to lay a thin coat that doesn't wash off.

Silk, forgot all about fish oil.

It was magic and wonderful stuff.

I'll refrain from sheep jokes.

A friend of mine who is a fishing addict and goes down to Baja California almost weekly to fish, drives right out on the beach with his Toyota pickup.

He Swears by using a 50/50 mix of used motor oil and diesel fuel to keep the salt water from completely eating it alive. And to his credit it WORKS! it works really well actually.

he apply's it with a heavy duty industrial garden sprayer.

Any long time poster here knows that I always chime in with Texaco Rustproof Compound L. I've been using it for 25 years. It essentially wool grease (another name for "lanolin") with 1%-3% stearic acid. I believe Crown in the same thing. Yes, it comes from sheep. Their fur is covered with it. That's why sheep shearers have the lovliest hands.

Stay away from rubberized coatings or other coatings that harden with time.

Why do you need rustproofing in Hawaii? Do you live near the coast?

I'd use a coating, not an oil. Even plain old Rustoleum should be better.
Spray or brush on any number of specialized products.

The brake lines are the most vulnerable ..or rather, the biggest pain to refit ..especially for ABS types.

Every month, I bust out several cans of WD40

hey 808, do you take it offroad or near the ocean? my friends 01 Tacoma is a daily driver, he goes fishing but not offroad, his undercarriage is nice, no rust, i was surprised. and he does nothing for it

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
Every month, I bust out several cans of WD40 and liberally spray the whole chassis and underneath with this stuff in all my vehicles. It's starting to become a PITA for me and wanted to find a product that will last longer and is resistant to washoff.

What to you guys recommend to rust proof the underbody?

alot of professional detailers use wd40 to detail their engines. look at this thread. if it's good for the engine bay...must be good for everything else underneath..

http://www.detailcity.org/forums/engine-detailing/18098-recommended-products-make-engine-shine.html

Originally Posted By: turbobink
A buddy of mine works for Sikorsky Aircraft Corp.

After paint, they treat all of their units with this stuff.

http://www.fluid-film.com/

Very good stuff but a much better approach is to properly paint the underside of the car when it is new. I use Eastwoods Rust Encapsulator as a primer and top coat with their expoxy chasis black. Buy a couple qts each and a few aerosol cans and paint everything underneath including suspension and lines. Then remove door panels, rocker plugs and flood all the doors, rockers, and 1/4 trim, hatch and subframes etc with the Fluid Film and you will have a very good rust proofed car. Beside who wants to crawl under their car to work on and have all that oily [censored] and dirt sticking to them. No thanks I just go under touch up any areas every 4 or 5 years. Nothing rusts much if you do it correctly in the first place. I dont have time to spray oil under my car every year.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
The brake lines are the most vulnerable ..or rather, the biggest pain to refit ..especially for ABS types.

I can attest to that. I don't have the money yet, but have to get lines on my '00 cavalier replaced due to rust having caused seepage at a fitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back