Transmission and Differential Fluid Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan on performing a transmission and differential fluid change this weekend. The vehicle is a 2000 Ford Ranger 2.5L 4 cylinder, 2WD, 5 speed manual. The owner's manual calls for Mercon ATF in the transmission and SAE 80w-90 gear oil in the differential. I plan on sticking with those specs. Currently, there are no problems with either the transmission nor differential. As long as I get Mercon ATF and SAE 80w-90 API GL-5 gear oil, I should be okay, correct? The name brand doesn't really matter? I won't notice a difference between Super Tech and Mobil 1?

Supertech recently lost a suit against them about their Gear Oil. I would go with a different brand.

Mobil 1 is excellent stuff and is worth the extra price.

Right now my wife's Xterra has Valvoline Durablend 80w90 in her differentials with a shot of Amsoil LSD fluid, seems to work like a champ, but I really cant tell a difference.

Next time I do the Xterra I will either use Mobil 1 or Amsoil. 1.5-3 quarts of the best stuff out there wont break you.

pepboys has a 10 off coupon, use it to buy castrol syn diffy, bit cheaper than M1.
and the valvoline dex gallon jug. u will save a bunch. :)

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
Supertech recently lost a suit against them about their Gear Oil. I would go with a different brand.

Can you provide details on this?

I hate Wal-mart. But it seem rather inflammatory to state that "Supertech recently lost a suit against them about their Gear Oil" without providing any relevant details.

No disrespect meant; just think that if you are going to say something like that you should back it up with a link and not force the OP to look it up.

Respectfully,

Arbuckle

Since it only uses 3ish quarts I'd spend a bit more on Merc V. I put RP's synchromax and maxgear in my 06. Also I get some brake fluid and flush out the reservoir for the clutch.. I do it a few times over the next 3k. Bleeding the clutch completely is a bit tricky. Any gear oil would be good if your not towing etc.

And Jack in the Box is unsafe because at one time they had an outbreak of E.Coli. Actually probably one of the more safe fast food establishments to eat at, if you like that nasty kind of food.

I am familiar with the lawsuit and I believe now that one of their products has been called into question(gear oil) that they ST, will be more vigilant in providing a product that meets all required specs. I have always had good luck using their products, although if given the chance I would go for RL or Amsoil. With these, price isn't an issue, just the waiting, that' the hardest part!
grin2.gif

fyi
http://www.jobbersworld.com/January 19, 2009.htm

Quote:
WAL-MART SETTLES CONSUMER PROTECTION CASE FOR $357,800.00
Shasta County District Attorney Jerry Benito announced that his office joined with the District Attorneys of Monterey, Napa, Solano and Sonoma Counties to settle a consumer protection case filed against Wal-Mart, the makers of "Wal-Mart SuperTech Gear Oil", and their manufacturer, Warren Distribution. The initial investigation arose out of inspections of Wal-Mart SuperTech Gear Oil by Shasta County Weights and Measures, Petroleum Division officials. Investigators found that the gear oil did not meet the advertised viscosity levels, in violation of California law. The investigation broadened, and the prosecutors joined forces to undertake statewide legal action to eradicate the problem. Wal-Mart's SuperTech gear oil is made by Warren Distribution, a Nebraska corporation.

Wal-Mart and Warren cooperated with prosecutors during the investigation and agreed to undertake additional testing procedures in order to comply with the law. Under the terms of the settlement, without admitting any wrongdoing, Wal-Mart, Inc., agreed to pay $257,800.00 in civil penalties, $75,000.00 to reimburse the costs of the investigation and prosecution, and $25,000.00 in restitution for a total settlement of $357,800.00.

Approximately 5000 bottles of the non-compliant oil was sold in California. Gear oil is primarily used in heavy machinery and large trucks. It is unknown if any engines were damaged by the bad oil, but it is likely that, given California's overall mild climate compared with the rest of the United States, no actual damage was done to any Californian's machinery, as any damage would likely occur only in extreme hot or cold temperatures.

The Shasta County Department of Weights and Measures routinely monitors local businesses and investigates products to ensure compliance with state law. The District Attorney's Office brings actions such as this to ensure that local and national businesses comply with their responsibilities under the law.

The counties and cities involved will equally split the civil penalties paid by Wal-Mart and Warren. This means that Shasta County will receive approximately $65,514.00. The Department of Weights and Measures will be reimbursed for all of the costs of their investigation.

In Shasta County, the case was investigated by Shasta County Department of Weights and Measures and prosecuted by Deputy District Attorney Erin M. Dervin of the Consumer Protection Unit of the District Attorney's Office. The Consumer Protection Unit exists to help consumers with problems they may have with services provided by local businesses or individuals.

For more information about the prosecution, contact District Attorney Jerry Benito or Deputy District Attorney Erin M. Dervin at 245-6310 and for information about the investigation contact Shasta County Agricultural Commissioner/Sealer of Weights & Measures Mary Pfeiffer at 224-4949.

Editor's Note: At this point only those counties mentioned above in California have reported this quality issue and it is unknown to what extend this off-grade product may have been distributed to other Wal-Mart's throughout the United States.

"Gear oil is primarily used in heavy machinery and large trucks. It is unknown if any engines were damaged by the bad oil, but it is likely that, given California's overall mild climate compared with the rest of the United States, no actual damage was done to any Californian's machinery, as any damage would likely occur only in extreme hot or cold temperatures."

At it's core, even the idiot writing the summary can't understand that "gear oil" does not belong in the "engine".

I wasn't there; I have no idea just how "bad" the bad gear oil was. So it didn't meet viscosity specs? How far was it off? Was it of by a few grade points (barely below a 75w?), or was it stupid low (like water?). Or, thick like molases? We don't know; we weren't there.

Also, I don't know of many "heavy machinery and large truck" operators that do their shopping for gear oil in Wally World. ST gear oil is used by us small source, low quantity consumers most of the time. It's not like you pick up ST in bulk 55 gallon drums and drive it over to the construction lot to put in your D-8 Cat ...

I'm glad that someone is checking the quality of ST fluids. That they didn't meet spec's isn't too suprising, but that can probably be said of any of the major brands. Occasionally, a quality control problem is bound to occur; not that's it's desirable, but it does happen to many good brands, just as it happened to ST. I can recall complaints against Wix and Purolator, but I consider them to be good brands. Wally's ST fluids fill a wide market with good overall performance.

So the question becomes: how bad and how widespread was the issue, and what damage resulted from the problem. The reality is that probably no one but Wally and Warren suffered.

If the OP is looking for a decent quality diff fluid to use with moderate OCIs, I would not hesitate to use ST fluids. Is it the "best" as far as extreme performance limits? No, it's not. But it doesn't cost and arm/leg either. It's well priced, performs adequately in most all applicaitons when used within OCI concerns, and has ease of availability.

Let's not let oil biggotry interfere with common sense, folks.

Last edited:
Quote:
The reality is that probably no one but Wally and Warren suffered.

It looks like the supplier was cutting the quality to make money. I suppose they have a contract to supply x amount and their costs go up they have to cut quality or lose money on the deal.

In my career I often check material to specifications, so I can commiserate with Wal-Mart and their issue with SuperTech gear oil.

I often find material where the alloy is slightly off composition limits, or the hardness is slightly off. This doesn't necessarily condemn the material. One has to back off and ask themselves what this off-spec condition means for the application.

Though we don't know what the numbers were for Wal-Mart's gear oil, it is very possible that they were only slightly off and not result in a wholesale ruin of all differentials where the fluid was used.

In fact, I'll bet the differentials that were serviced with sligtly off-spec Wal-Mart SuperTech gear oil are generally better off than the differentials that still have their original, neglected, high-mileage fill.

To answer the OP, it depends on how much longer you want to keep the car/pickup and how often you want to do the service. Theoretically, there is no difference between ST and Mobil1 because both are supposed to meet the API standard. However, I suspect that there is a difference in their quality.

Generally speaking, there is a correlation between price and cost with respect to quality. The price is the money you paid, the cost is the normalized price per unit e.g. price per miles or price per year, etc. So with different product at different price points, the proper way to evaluate is how long the oil going to last and longer term is how long the vehicle going to last. I know it is probably more than you want but that is the way I think. I tried to use good quality oil mostly synthetic to reduce the long term cost e.g. not to change it as often. Hence, my replacement cost is a lower but the price to buy that oil is more.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Does the differential fluid need a friction modifier ?

No, it does not need a friction modifier. The truck does not have limited slip.

Will I see a difference if I go for the more popular 75w-90 gear oil? The manual calls for 80w-90. I just want to make sure I won't harm anything.

Also, the manual calls for Mercon in the manual gearbox. Mercon has been replaced by Mercon V. Would you recommend Mercon V or a lubricant specified for manual transmissions?

My sons 91 Ranger has 330,000 miles on it with M1 fluids in the engine, tranny, and dif. Still going strong.

Yes. 75w-90 will do fine. As will other ATF's in the trans.

I too would recommend synthetics.

Manual Transmission,.....MA[1]
Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid
Torque-Drive™ Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATD)
Automatic Transmission,4R44E.....MA
Torque-Drive™ Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATD)
Automatic Transmission,5R55E.....MA5
Differential, Front .....GL-5
All Temps......80W-90
SAE 80W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube
Severe Gear 75W-90
SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube
Severe Gear 75W-110

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back