Amway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: StevieC
My mom used to buy some of the products back in the 80's and they did work well, but were a bit over priced IHO.

Same thing with the Schwanns delivery trucks if you have those in your area. The products were just fine and it saved you a trip to the store even if you did pay a little more for the convenience.

it is feel good make believe business my friends...more money is MADE through the process of teach and spreading the Business than from the Business it self....

they make money from selling tickets to
Meetings, Seminars, Rally's & Conventions

All kinds of stationary items

Books, Audio and Video Cd's

Magazines, pamphlets, brochure's needed to give away to sign people up....

very little money is actually made via selling people...more focus is actually made on signing people up directly or under someone who is already under you....

I recommend all to watch the investigative report on Amway/Quixtar done by NBC Dateline over youtube!

I have close to 100 pounds of the (now discontinued) Amway SA-8 "commercial" version with phosphates which should last me a while especially with a front-loader. I have long liked their laundry detergent but my recent experience with stuff such as Costco's Kirkland Signature unscented HE liquid detergent tells me the regular non-phosphate detergents available in the store have finally caught up.

One thing I thought was rather deceptive was the main active ingredients shown in both Zoom and Industroclean- they gave two different names for exactly the same chemical, ethylene glycol monobutyl ether (Industroclean) and 2-butoxyethanol (Zoom). Just my opinion though.

As a rule, I have found their products do work.

As a kid, I remember having some Amway shampoo that my mother got from her aunt. It came in a silver bottle. It was pretty decent - I remember it smelled very good. Honestly, I'd still buy it today if you could get it off the shelf at a store.

I also remember that Amway was all those relatives talked about during that period. I once asked my parents about it on the way home from their house and that was the first time I understood what the words 'pyramid scheme' meant. The phrase "Multi-Level Marketing" was a little too P.C. for the late '80s... Seeing what that venture did to my relatives' future is the reason I now insist on buying products off the shelf. It's a shame because they were very good products, but I will continue to vote with my dollar.

Last edited:
My mom is a huge fan of Amway cleaning stuff.

Personally, I find their laundry soap is the bomb (and SUPER-concentrated!)

I could never get myself to buy any when I lived with my girlfriend though, the small box cost nearly fourty bucks!

Sorta. It's like the hits that Pabs and I take for some yahoo somewhere telling someone something. So far, I've yet to hear any hint that Amsoil will make you rich ..quick or slow. I'm sure that a few have and more will. There's no active campaign anywhere that I'm aware of to amass down line dealers as a way to success ..yet that would surely be a likely component involved. Now there's a point, and I would say that it is well earned in my opinion, where those who have achieved high status (through some serious hard work) get to blow their horn of the greatness of Amsoil (via the MLM model). I don't see a whole lot wrong with that. I hope to be among them at some point. The truth that all of them will admit to is that it Amsoil just gave them the tools that they would never have access to on a time share/pay as you go basis. They did all the work. They didn't get there by finding others to do their work for them. They found enough people to work as hard as they do.

Amway got hijacked by a few upper level dealers who sold it as a ideology ..a religion ..an exclusive cult where the righteous belonged.

Amsoil, at least by any way I can figure, never stopped trying to sell oil.

Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: javacontour

This is also why it's a bit sticky to close dealerships and/or brands. Those dealerships PAID for their franchise, and expect to be made whole.

If anyone can understand shafting someone, it would be a car dealer. They just aren't used to being on the receiving end.
So true!!! It is hard to feel any sympathy for car dealerships.

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
Well the long and short of it is (apparently). Amway products are good, Amway people are bad.

I used to have a boss who sold Amway products way back in the 80's..I bought some car wax [which was good stuff] and some other things..The only reason I bought the Amway products was so she wouldn't give me hard time if I was running late on my lunch hour..It worked very well doing that.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Sorta. It's like the hits that Pabs and I take for some yahoo somewhere telling someone something. So far, I've yet to hear any hint that Amsoil will make you rich ..quick or slow. I'm sure that a few have and more will. There's no active campaign anywhere that I'm aware of to amass down line dealers as a way to success ..yet that would surely be a likely component involved. Now there's a point, and I would say that it is well earned in my opinion, where those who have achieved high status (through some serious hard work) get to blow their horn of the greatness of Amsoil (via the MLM model). I don't see a whole lot wrong with that. I hope to be among them at some point. The truth that all of them will admit to is that it Amsoil just gave them the tools that they would never have access to on a time share/pay as you go basis. They did all the work. They didn't get there by finding others to do their work for them. They found enough people to work as hard as they do.

Amway got hijacked by a few upper level dealers who sold it as a ideology ..a religion ..an exclusive cult where the righteous belonged.

Amsoil, at least by any way I can figure, never stopped trying to sell oil.

Gary, do you know what this "Altrum" is? I have heard on some forums that Amsoil is Amway and then it just gets passed on like, "I heard Amsoil is Amway..." etc. but no one ever goes back to question the original goofball who wrote/said it. But this ALtrum thing really does sound more like Amway but I don't know anything about it and I don't know any of the history of the two companies. This is off of Wikipedia:

Amsoil also wholly owns and manages a MLM subsidiary called Altrum, which markets multivitamins, water filters, cleaning products and gardening fertilizer.[3]

All the Amsoil people I have run into are nothing like the Amway reputation and are more about customer service/educating/finding the right fit for the customer needs than high powered pushing of products.

There is just so much misinformation out there and it is spread so easily now with our technology. And there is no sort of built in "fact checker" to stop misinformation.

Just today on another forum someone said, "P.S. Stay away from Amsoil IMO .
Ive heard and seen first hand too many bad experiences causing major problems ." and I said,

"Really? Can you give specific examples please? I would like ot know about that. Amsoil is one of the highest end oils out there."

It is this kind of C.r.a.p that spreads if no one says anything IMO.

Quote:
But this ALtrum thing really does sound more like Amway but I don't know anything about it and I don't know any of the history of the two companies.

I guess it could appear that way. The Ag products appear to work well with the oil sales in some markets. Not so much in others. I can't quite wrap around the vitamins and water filtration products ..but they all would fall into products that would be marketed 1:1 with the majority of customer contacts that Amsoil is typically composed of.
21.gif

Yeah...Aggrand seems to fit the target model/market much better than the vitamin/supplement stuff in the Altrum line that's for sure. The Altrum cold season lozenges do kick [censored] though...it's the only product from that side of the table I personally have any experience with. Does anyone know if Amway ever made a fertilizer product?? I remember seeing an Amway Fire Extinguisher in my friends garage and I about *****.

Originally Posted By: pickled
Yeah...Aggrand seems to fit the target model/market much better than the vitamin/supplement stuff in the Altrum line that's for sure.

I saw Al Amatuzio less than a week ago. Mid to late 80's he is. Had a picture taken with him, wrapped my arm around his back and this guy is solid.

I would say someone who has an interest in Health and living longer would want to share it with his "family"--the AMSOIL Dealers.

Once you get your mind wrapped about the owner of the company Al Amatuzio then you will understand how fertilizer, vitamins, and oil all come together.

Healthy AMSOIL dealers sell more oil than unhealthy ones.

PS Fertilizer sales are kicking

Aggrand always sold organic products. Aggrand is a small company that didn't quite hit it big with the big boys. Somehow they never got the exposure as organic was tough thing to sell. Tough competition. I've known Aggrand years before they sold their products with Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: Johnny
Anyone here use any of the Amway products? Household cleaners, laundry cleaners, vitamins?

In the old days 1970's - some of the stuff was top notch - my Mom bought stuff from the neighbor. I have no knowledge of current Amway junk. The whole Quixtar thing disgusts me. I really vomit when people think Amsoil is associated with that shady company. I mean a Quixtar guy tried to recruit me once and wouldn't even tell me what the product was called!! Told me right there.....run!

I've had the same thing happen. He asked me if I had a job at the time being, and told me he owned/worked for a few businesses in the area. So, I got my hopes up thinking it was legit. I set up an "interview" the day after and it turned out to be Quixtar...
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: msparks

Healthy AMSOIL dealers sell more oil than unhealthy ones.

Hey man I thought the features and benefits of the product sold themselves
blush.gif
Seriously though Al definitely has his faculties in full control because when I read the copy of the action news that gets passed around at work his editorials are awesome...they need him to live to 100!

Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay
Aggrand always sold organic products. Aggrand is a small company that didn't quite hit it big with the big boys. Somehow they never got the exposure as organic was tough thing to sell. Tough competition. I've known Aggrand years before they sold their products with Amsoil.

Don't know if that is accurate.

Al started a separate company called AGGRENE, and sold it through traditional distribution methods. The dealers found out about it, and wanted to be able to sell the products too, so they gave it a different name (AGGRAND) and put it as part of the AMSOIL Biz. AGGRAND has always been part of AMSOIL, it started in the early 90's when they changed the name of it.

It was hard to start, and was mostly designed for garden, and yards etc. Last couple years fertilizer prices rose over 1000%. Now farmers are looking at alternatives. It's all about the cost for them, and the AGGRAND saves money.

You can still find AGGRENE in some places, I think Worms Way carries it.

Interesting. I just remember them years ago and how they wouldn't change and sold organic products. Learn something knew everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back