Lubricating oil for motor rotation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all I'm new to this site and have a question. We have a bunch of new spare motors that have to be rotated on a monthly basis. Two of them are plain bearing motors with forced lubrication. Not lift oil just pressure fed. One of them we have a pump set up we manufactured and use 797 turbine oil to feed oil to it just so we can hand rotate it. 797 is a ISO vg 32, which the manufacture calls for. The other motor that has pressure lube calls for ISO VG 68. We were wondering if it would be a problem to use the same 797 if it was just used for hand rotation of motor, that way we wouldn't have to build an entirely new pump skid.

'lectric motors ?

We don't rotate the standby motors at work, whether roller or plain bearing...dessicant breathers, and motor heaters in service is it.

Yes electric motors, sorry for not being specific. We didn't
rotate our spares that sit in warehouses for years,sometimes, waiting to be used. Well we put a few in service and had bearing failures because of brunneling. This is rather costly in the power plant because of lost generation. So all large induction
motors that sit for long periods are to be rotated on a monthly basis.

No, you can use pretty much any oil you want in those motors when you are rolling them over in long term storage. The only thing I might consider to be a problem is when they are actually put into service with the correct oil that whatever you used for storage is compatible with the correct oil.

In your case I don't think there would be any issue at all, but it might be worth a call to the oil supplier/mfg to see if those two will readily mix.

Do you have plain spherical bearing motors or plain roller bearing motors? Only the latter has brinelling issues. In fact, I was involved in exactly such a discussion in the following thread:

http://maintenanceforums.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5951015103/m/692109572

If the motors sit still (unrotating) in a vibrating condition, you will have problems with the roller bearing. If it's not vibrating, then they are rotated to prevent damage from a static corrosion condition.

You may want to consider joining that maintenanceforums group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back