EZ Lube (quick lube) and their "wax based" oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I called EZ Lube today to inquire about a $21.99 oil change coupon which includes a 14 point inspection...

Myself: Hi, I am calling to inquire about your $21.99 oil change. Is this the price for my car?
EZlube: yes it is.
Myself: What if i want synthetic oil?
EZLube: Well, the coupon is not valid for synthetic oil but I will give you $8 off our synthetic oil change price of $68.99. We use Mobil 1. Synthetic oil is much better to put in your car because the normal oil change uses a "wax based oil" and synthetic gives you better fuel economy with extended oil change intervals.
Myself: How much more can i extend my oil change with synthetic?
EZLube: to 6k miles
Myself: What oil do u use in the regular oil change?
EZLube: Mobil
Keep in mind that i already know they use Mobil. I believe they use Exxon Superflo.
Myself: $68 is alot to spend though...
EZLube: Well, If you come in and do a synthetic oil change I will include a Mobil 1 synthetic filter at the $68.99+tax price.
Myself: Thanks for the information.

Question: What is a "wax based" oil?
Comment: I really dont like quick lube places. They pump their oil from downstairs and who knows what they are putting in your car. Heck, it might even be "recycled" oil...if there is such a thing. It probably is bulk Exxon Superflo but my distrust in these quick lube places is high after seeing all these youtube videos where they dont service your car at all!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE8aLaoj5n0

Im not trying to bash quick lube places...but i prefer the bottled oils so i know it's brand spanking new oil.

Wax based oil... hahaha That's why he works in a lube shop and isn't an engineer or a tribiologist (sp?).

LOL.gif
Some myths never die.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
In all fairness, there is some truth to what he said.

Well, the EZ Lube guy is telling me that since the conventional oil is "wax based" it isnt a good oil to use compared to synthetic. Is there truth in this statement?

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
MBCLK fits right in here at BitOG.

funny, but not too sure what this means. i am a big fan of BITOG though...very informative.

Originally Posted By: MBCLK
I called EZ Lube today to inquire about a $21.99 oil change coupon which includes a 14 point inspection...

Myself: Hi, I am calling to inquire about your $21.99 oil change. Is this the price for my car?
EZlube: yes it is.
Myself: What if i want synthetic oil?
EZLube: Well, the coupon is not valid for synthetic oil but I will give you $8 off our synthetic oil change price of $68.99. We use Mobil 1. Synthetic oil is much better to put in your car because the normal oil change uses a "wax based oil" and synthetic gives you better fuel economy with extended oil change intervals.
Myself: How much more can i extend my oil change with synthetic?
EZLube: to 6k miles
Myself: What oil do u use in the regular oil change?
EZLube: Mobil
Keep in mind that i already know they use Mobil. I believe they use Exxon Superflo.
Myself: $68 is alot to spend though...
EZLube: Well, If you come in and do a synthetic oil change I will include a Mobil 1 synthetic filter at the $68.99+tax price.
Myself: Thanks for the information.

Question: What is a "wax based" oil?
Comment: I really dont like quick lube places. They pump their oil from downstairs and who knows what they are putting in your car. Heck, it might even be "recycled" oil...if there is such a thing. It probably is bulk Exxon Superflo but my distrust in these quick lube places is high after seeing all these youtube videos where they dont service your car at all!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE8aLaoj5n0

Im not trying to bash quick lube places...but i prefer the bottled oils so i know it's brand spanking new oil.
My advice would be to just do it yourself. I used to pay other people to change my oil until I saw some of the deals available in the products/rebates/promotions forum. It really isn't hard to do. You save time doing it yourself, and if you're using high quality synthetics you'll actually save a fair amount of money as well. Plus you know it has been done right with the right viscosity of oil.

So I really hold no grudge against the quick lube worker, they just want to put food on their table. It is up to me, to be "buyer beware", and to be more knowledgeable about what I'm buying than the person selling it.

[No RSP please]

True, wall street and the banking industry as an aexample but it all starts somewhere, it is the entrenched belief that you can provide misleading information and buyer beware attitude that is corrupting the country. The excuse that he has to put food on the table, I guess that justifies robbing a convenience store or bank too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
"Buyer beware" is great advice, but doesn't provide an excuse for someone to be misleading.

In the original post, they are either not competent in that which they profess to be, playing in the fringes of half truths through knowing enough to be dangerous, or genuinely trying to deceive.

Run away...

Find (through BITOG) an oil and filter that you like...buy them on rebate, and take them in for your service

Here's my take. In most cases you can run a full syn twice as long as a conventional. At that point it's a break even and you save the time of skipping an oil change. If you do it yourself with full syn you'll save even more.

I agree, his comments weren't too bad. It's tough to distill all the technical info about motor oils into a short description that your typical car owner can understand. He outlined the benefits well and that's all most people want to hear.

The rest of his info is a little off, probably because he read oil info that he doesn't really comprehend. Not much different than 80% of the posters at BITOG.

EZLube: "Synthetic oil is much better to put in your car because the normal oil change uses a "wax based oil"

The disturbing part of that statement is the EZ Lube employee is saying the stuff they regularly use isn't very good. It may be perfectly fine oil, but its a scare tactic nonetheless.

I work in a quick lube place and if he's anything like my manager he honestly believes what he's saying is true. He just doesn't understand all of the technical details.

Is anyone saying there is no wax in dino oil? As I posted already Mobil shows there is a wax substance in dino oil. The Mobil video shows that to be the case.

Originally Posted By: css9450
EZLube: "Synthetic oil is much better to put in your car because the normal oil change uses a "wax based oil"

The disturbing part of that statement is the EZ Lube employee is saying the stuff they regularly use isn't very good. It may be perfectly fine oil, but its a scare tactic nonetheless.

I agree that it is a scare tactic. A scare tactic to upsell their products. When he initially said that I started to think, "wax based oil? is that like candle wax in my car?" Im sure this is what the average person will probably relate this to.

These quick lube places promote so many services. The $21.99 is just bait for all the fish out there to come in and get their oil changed there. I remember the last time I was in there too...I saw a service to polish headlights, oil additive, coolant flush. Just think if you knew nothing about cars...youd be like this woman who almost paid to have her halogen fluids replaced or paid $70 to install a cigarette lighter..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FefIzya7fw

Buyer Very Beware especially during these trying economic times...

Originally Posted By: bretfraz
The Critic said:
info that he doesn't really comprehend. Not much different than 80% of the posters at BITOG.

You can say That again..

Originally Posted By: tig1
Is anyone saying there is no wax in dino oil? As I posted already Mobil shows there is a wax substance in dino oil. The Mobil video shows that to be the case.

Since when is Mobil1 the keeper of fact and reason.

I trust those Mobil 1 videos as much as I believe RP is going to give me an extra 20hp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: peterdes
Originally Posted By: bretfraz
The Critic said:
info that he doesn't really comprehend. Not much different than 80% of the posters at BITOG.

You can say That again..

Originally Posted By: tig1

Since when is Mobil1 the keeper of fact and reason.

I trust those Mobil 1 videos as much as I believe RP is going to give me an extra 20hp.

So you have proof they is no wax in dino oil? Also their video lies when they demostrate Synt. oil flows better in -40c temps than others semi synt?

Well, the EZ Lube guy is telling me that since the conventional oil is "wax based" it isnt a good oil to use compared to synthetic. Is there truth in this statement?

A PAO is just as ''wax based'' as a conventional. Paraffin is a class of compounds without any functional groups. The name comes from the Greek for without affinity. Whatever other problems they have, they are inherently stable. Given oxygen and a source of ignition, they do burn. They are the main components of natural gas, LPG, gasoline, diesel, motor oils, wax, polyethylene, etc. They follow the formula H(CH2)nH. In methane n = 1, propane n=3, octane n = 8, and in polyetheylene n can be thousands. It is all the same stuff. The only base stock not wax based are the esters.

Originally Posted By: labman

A PAO is just as ''wax based'' as a conventional. Paraffin is a class of compounds without any functional groups. The name comes from the Greek for without affinity. Whatever other problems they have, they are inherently stable. Given oxygen and a source of ignition, they do burn. They are the main components of natural gas, LPG, gasoline, diesel, motor oils, wax, polyethylene, etc. They follow the formula H(CH2)nH. In methane n = 1, propane n=3, octane n = 8, and in polyetheylene n can be thousands. It is all the same stuff. The only base stock not wax based are the esters.

According to the M1 cold temp video that doesn't seem to be the case about wax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back