Stop leak additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
These products may stop a seep not a leak. If you have a piece of a gasket or seal missing probably not. If the parts move as say crank seals,valve guides, and the like no. If the don't really move say oil pan gasket or valve cover gasket maybe.

In my experience, and from what I've read, these things are almost as likely to clog your coolant/oil passages as they are to plug a leak. Even if they do work without clogging things, they stop working after a short while. Not worth it unless you plan to limp the engine along for a while and then throw it out.

Do not use those additives!!!

High Quality Motor oil is all you need. If you have a "leak" you should get it fixed.

The problem with recommendations from personal experience is primarily sample size along with "test" protocals if you will. That said I have used many of these and on say on a rear main seal leak they will slow it a variable amount. If it leaks because of or is exacerbated by excessive blow by into crankcase then they will usually fail. Seeping along valve covers etc. better luck here but if they work a simple proper re-torque of all bolts will also work near as often. If a flange is bent leaving even a small gap not going to work.

Originally Posted By: c3po
Do we have someone who can post from experience using any of these stop leak additives.

Sure, I tried a bit of a lucas-like additive in both my tranny and my engine at different times. Never worked one bit on either. Both issues were not something a mere higher viscosity oil could stop. Engine issue was from excessive PCV pressure pushing out on a seal. Once I replaced the PCV, it did stop. The tranny issue ended when I had a shop tighten the connections to the tranny cooler. Moral of the story is while yes, sometimes there are those crazy odd voodoo leaks something like arx could fix, many times there are mechanical issues at paly that need repair.

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
Originally Posted By: c3po
Do we have someone who can post from experience using any of these stop leak additives.

Sure, I tried a bit of a lucas-like additive in both my tranny and my engine at different times. Never worked one bit on either. Both issues were not something a mere higher viscosity oil could stop. Engine issue was from excessive PCV pressure pushing out on a seal. Once I replaced the PCV, it did stop. The tranny issue ended when I had a shop tighten the connections to the tranny cooler. Moral of the story is while yes, sometimes there are those crazy odd voodoo leaks something like arx could fix, many times there are mechanical issues at paly that need repair.

That's why I replace my PCV every year on my small block chevy, $3.00 is cheap insurance to me.

Auto-Rx has worked many times for me and others here on rotational seals. These leaks were caused by contaminants being deposited at the shaft seal interface. With regards to gaskets, the only remedy is to replace, if retourquing does not work. The good news is most gaskets like oil pan and valve covers are pretty easy in many cases.

Originally Posted By: Rick20
Auto-Rx has worked many times for me and others here on rotational seals. These leaks were caused by contaminants being deposited at the shaft seal interface. With regards to gaskets, the only remedy is to replace, if retourquing does not work. The good news is most gaskets like oil pan and valve covers are pretty easy in many cases.

Yes, please don't mistake my comment for stating that arx doesn't work on seals. It's just I've found many of the leaks I've had have sadly been from gaskets or some type of silcone-type sealant material that just needs to be replaced. Of course, perhaps the reason I haven't had leaks from any seals is that I use synth and arx regularly.
grin2.gif

TLC3 you should really spend some time digging around the archives around here to research the opinion of some of our more respected members about your Lucas products.

The new Napa brand engine oil stop leak product is interesting because it is very thin,( not the motor honey type additive) and on the back it says the formulation is by Lubrizol. I dont know whats in it but I may send some in for a voa

Originally Posted By: law3500
The new Napa brand engine oil stop leak product is interesting because it is very thin,( not the motor honey type additive) and on the back it says the formulation is by Lubrizol. I dont know whats in it but I may send some in for a voa

Wish I had known about this product a month ago. I'd probably have bought that instead of a jug of Mobil 1 High Mileage to use for top-off.

I've had some luck throwing Valvoline MaxLife additive in my father's car. I think it was less than $2 at an outlet store (Ollies?)

You're better off using a HM oil like MaxLife than using additives, though...

Last edited:
ARX has worked time and time again on rotational seals, such as crank and cam journal seals. If the leak is due to contaminant build up on the journal end at the seal lip interface, ARX will work for you. ARX does not help gasket leaks, such as pan or valve cover gaskets. But then again most of those can be replaced easily.

If you have any seal leaks it may be a good idea to check your PCV Valve as well as the PCV hoses. I would also check your valve cover baffles where the PCV Valve and the breather hose sit, if these baffles are clogged then you will have too much pressure which can lead to leaks.

I have a '92 Lumina that leaks everything. If it contains a liquid, it will leak out. If it's liquid on the outside, it will leak in. I never owned a car that leaked so much.

I tried this Gold Eagle Engine Oil Treatment stuff in the engine and it stopped or slowed the engine oil leaks enough so that the oil spot on the driveway has actually dried out. Most of the oil was coming from the front crankshaft seal.

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/no_leak/default.aspx

I'm not an additive person, but I was surprised that this stuff actually did something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back