Russian military trucks - from Soviet Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy cow! From looking at the top, it looks like they went treeing before they hit the water. I would like to have one of these for the mud bogs.

"Tap on the bottom of the block to drain the cooling water away over night and a heater on the top to warm snow for the next day's work..."
From my experience, this contraption may actually be a external engine heater also found on the swedish 203 "band truck". You connect a heat exchanger with a kerosene burner to a connection to the top and the bottom of the cooling circuit and heat the fluid and the block before starting in cold weather, ie. below -20c.
If this is your setup and you are going where there are no elecricity, try it.

Holy [censored] this has got to be my most favorite thread on BITOG. I would not call myself "rich" but for @ $50,000 I could buy my own mini mechinized army. Looked at some of those links, I would love to have an amphibious track vehilce plus that 125mm howitzer its pretty darn cool. What is so cool is that everything is so cheap that it puts just about anything in the hands or ordinary people. As a kid playing with toy tanks and stuff, for less than 1/2 the price of my car I could own a tank.

Too bad shipping and laws here in the US would make this stuff prohibited at best impossible to get.

To the OP, I really envy you man, I would LOVE to go an a trip like that. I would highly suggest doing alot of pictures and documentation of your journey and creating a website for it, that would be a knock out.

Yep, europe is pretty much filled with -enormous- amounts of military equipment. A lot of it built during first half of the cold war, hence not the latest technology, environment stuff or electronics but often quite sturdy. Much of the civilian-like stuff is being auctioned off now and prices are low, for good reasons. But you can find olive green new husqvarna chainsaws, bicycles, track vessles, tractor trailers, construction equipment,etc at very reasonable prices, interesting for farmers for example.

I dig that gaz-66. Would be great for a party truck for offroading. You would get far more positive attention using that to pull your dirtbikes than a $300,000 RV.

YC1 Grease( cyrilic УС 1),Press Sold C(пресс-солидол С),GradeC(Солидол С)-low temp.(-50-up to +65Celsius) greases ,Ca Soap-can be substitited with any Li-Soap greases-old grease should be removed completely !!!
"R-H32 "-this should be ЯНЗ-2 grease,Natrium-based,very low water resistance...same case here.

AC 8 is indeed sae 20w oil,very old type for gasoline motors.Substituted by M-8A...Any Mixed-fleet HDEO of recommended visc.will be allright.In UK weather-10w-30 or straight 30 in the summer.

Here are ГОСТ-SAE grades:
ГОСТ -SAE
6 = SAE 10W
6-8 = SAE 20W
10-12 = SAE 30
14-16 = SAE 40
20 = SAE 50
20=SAE 50
Multigrade ГОСТ-SAE:
3з/8=5w-20
4з/6=10w-20
4з/8=10w-20
4з/10=10w-30
5з/12=15w-30
5з/14=15w-40
6з/10=20w-30
6з/14=20w-40
6з/16=20w-40

About the transmission oil "T146 Automotive Transmission Fluid "..no such thing. Should be any of the following:
http://www.promoil.com.ua/article118.html
http://www.aversauto.ru/rukovodstvo/page143

Some sites list different oils for the 131,your truck probably calls for ТсП 14 hypoid (which seems to be GL-4 SAE 90 oil)..other (prolly later models)call for GL-3 equivalent like ТаП 15В...Check carefully.

Here you can see the equivalents of УС-1(Shell Alvania Grease RL1 ) and the spindle oil ГОСТ 1642-50 -Shell Vitrea Oil 22*/Shell Tellus Oil 22*
http://www.avgas.ru/documents/rus.php
Can`t find an equivalent of "Oil Grad P or Turbine oil22" (should be гост 32-53)...

All of these oils are still in production,some of the Warsaw treaty member states produced them to satisfy military demand..and the vast majority of USSR-made PC,light trucks and offroad vehicles used them too.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for that Rollins, it must have took you some time to find that for me and I appreciate it. I will post your data on our forum zil131.com and it will advance our cause considerably!

Just to clarify heavyhitter - unless you are an African war lord or South American drug baron who can get end user certificates all the ex-mil kit is sold with weapons deactivated. I don't know how they do it with guns and tanks etc but I think they weld up the breech or something - I'm not military! Having said that, one guy on our forum got his BDRM which was 20 odd years old but otherwise unused but inside he found a super sophisitcated rocket launcher wrapped up in brown grease proof paper complete with sights (but no rocket!) but I'm sure for minimum investment you could set yourself up and march on Washington or set up your own independent state - make your self President :)

The radio trucks like mine usually are stuffed with unused equipment which were used for comms, jamming, relay stations or mobile telephony etc and some guys who do this for a hobby but the trucks for that as they used to be "on the opposite side" during hte cold war and were radio experts. Ignorant guys like me just crow bar it all out and junk it - it must have cost unknown amounts of money to buy!

There are also radar trucks which have to be used partly deactivated as they fry your nuts and the CAA also fry your nuts if you switch them on...

These former Wasaw Pact countries are converting to NATO specs now so they are divesting themselves of all their Russian kit cheap but no one wants it and most will go for scrap once scrap prices recover. In the early '90's I heard one guy who dealt in stuff saying he swapped his Mercedes Benz in at a Russian air base in Germany for a Mig21!

Other than that I'm sure you can import any of this stuff into the US and shipping costs have never been cheaper. About the only limiting factor we have in the UK is what to classify the vehicle as to run it on the road. Sometimes it's historic vehicle, agri vehicle or even traction engine! Tanks or track vehicles need rubber tracks to be allowed on the roads at they rip them up and sometimes width is a problem on our narrow roads and maximum allowed is 2.55m making Kraz 255B a problem
frown.gif

If you want one go for I'd say.

The Russians were not the only ones with this excess - ten miles from where I live was RAF Burtonwood, the largest US air base outside the USA. It was built in WW2 but then became the cold war store containing everything needed for WW3. It had 1,800 buildings and a staff of 18,000, the perimeter fence was almost 16 miles long and only three months ago they knocked down the last hanger but I often wondered what happened to all the kit they had in there.

My fave truck is this the Zil 157 which I think is a copy of a WW2 American Studebaker truck. Unused(30 years old!) for $5.5k :)

02.jpg

I may run a site covering my travels but I have to sell my house before I can go and that's really hard here just now
frown.gif

Thanks again for your advice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back