HomeLite weedwacker never starts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
5 years ago I bought a cheap $90 Homelite trimmer at Home Depot. In the back of my mind I knew I should have bought an Echo at the John Deere dealer. Anyhow, the rope would never retract when trying to start it. I got really jacked one day at it and slammed it on the driveway. The air filer went flying and the rope magically retracted. Ever since, it starts in 2 pulls and actually runs well. Next time it acts up, I'm bending it in a "U" and giving it to the garbage man.

Start procedure that works well on most of my 2 strokes:

Full choke, full throttle

press prime bulb several times if it has one

Pull a few times - it will usually try to fire at this point

Go to 1/2 choke and pull - it will fire right up

Don't use high octane gas, don't add more than recommended oil and don't use old gas.

Run at 1/2 choke for 30 seconds to warm up

I have a 5+ year old Homelite - cold starts within 3 or 4 pulls everytime - even after winter storage!
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I have a 5+ year old Homelite - cold starts within 3 or 4 pulls everytime - even after winter storage!
21.gif

+1

I have had no problems with my Homelite weedwackers or blowers. In my experience, they are the best low end products available.

I had one of those for more than 10yrs. I found it started best with the throttle wide open while pulling the rope. It always started reliably for me unlike the POS Bolens I have now.

I own one of these.

1. over prime first, like ~12 pushes
2. crank and crank till it pops.
3. crank a few more times.
4. prime ~4 pushes
5. crank a few - should start.

It does better if the 2-stroke gas has stabil in it year-around.

It does better if when shutting down you starve it of fuel. seems that the poor starting has something to do with last-use fuel sitting around in the crankcase for a few weeks.

M

junk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought one 15 years ago $79 Oz at the time.

It's going strong, all these years later, starts second pull. Pump bulb 3 times, full choke, pull. Half choke, half throttle, pull, and off it goes.

FIL bought a Ryobi, and was having problems...under the plastic, it was identical to my Homelite.

But I DO run 25:1 to 30:1 in all my 2 stroke stuff.

My ryobi starts great.

What I do every time is:
primmer bulb several times
pull rope at full choke until coughs a little like it wants to start
go to half choke and it will start in 1-2 pulls.

After about 7 years or so it got hard to start, and the little spring went bouncing when I opened the carb. So I searched ebay for the carb and for about $9 I got a new carb. It runs like new again now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back