Wal Mart Super Tech Full Synthetic Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
ST Syn is $13.49 for 5Qt in Ohio I paid $19-20$ for 5 quarts of PP. That is a decent savings as both are group III ....I was tempted to try the 5W30 in a 5w20 application (4.6 L with 85 K), but was swayed by the legion of PP fans here. I have run the 10W 30 ST syn in a snowblower and generator.

I wish you could see the great condition my 98 Rager is in. I have had it since june 2000. I wax it every 4 months. I keep it in our garage 95% of the time. I change my own oil faithfully every 5000 miles. I have yet had to have my brakes worked on.

The only thing I really need to do as preventative maintance is replace the Sirpintine and Timing belts.

Bottom Line, this P/U is in mint condition. Lord willing I plan to keep it another 10 years! That's why I'm switching to Wal Mart's ST Full Synthetic Motor Oil.

Since 2000, I have made over 10 trips to Lynn Haven Florida {597 Miles} and one to Great Valley NY {651 miles} Averaging 26.5 mpg per trip.

Steve

Originally Posted By: Steelers
No way I'd switch a 10 year old Ranger with 122K to synthetic oil. It's not worth it. Keep up your 5K changes and you'll never have an oil related engine issue. Switch the Camry if you like, but if you're doing 5K changes on it as well you don't have much to gain.

Super Tech is made by Warren Distribution not Exxon Mobil.

Not completely true, it depends on where you are located at. If you were around Virginia IT IS made my Exxon Mobil....my source...MSDS sheets.

Here in Eastern Pa, all the Supertech is made by WPP, except for the 5w-30. Those bottles look like the Exxon Superflo bottles.

I know this is an old thread, but people like me do read them when searching for info.

I just wanted to comment on the post about "not switching an old vehicle to synthetic." I understand the reasons for not switching on old vehicles. I am one of those people who never switched because I was afraid that I had too much sludge in the engine. However, a few months ago, I had to replace a gasket in the engine and the mechanic (family member) got a good look down inside the engine. Said it was clean as a whistle.

So, I switched to Super Tech Synthetic and it runs great. The vehicle is a 1994 GMC 1500 with 220,000 miles. I also always change my oil every 3000 miles and sometimes less.

What I'm getting at is if you have an older vehicle and know you have treated it very well, then go ahead and make the switch to synthetic. I am also very pleased with Super Tech oil and filter.

I just switched to synthetic at 87,300 miles. Not quite as many as your truck, but still up there. Haven't had a problem yet. No drips, oil is still at the full line, and I already have a couple hundred miles with it (only 2 days old).

Originally Posted By: Steelers
No way I'd switch a 10 year old Ranger with 122K to synthetic oil. It's not worth it. Keep up your 5K changes and you'll never have an oil related engine issue. Switch the Camry if you like, but if you're doing 5K changes on it as well you don't have much to gain.

Super Tech is made by Warren Distribution not Exxon Mobil.

I switched my 94 SL2 with 115K Miles over to ST SYN, No problems, used only 1Qt/1800. :D

I think the best deal now is the Motorcraft syn blend at 2.87 a quart or 11.50 a 5q jug. But then again a GM may puke a rod running that stuff
37.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wannafbody
.... But then again a GM may puke a rod running that stuff
37.gif

Might be a moot point in a few more months....

you dont really have to switch to syn unless weather is really cold...in NH st syn is made by WPP out of nebraska, it will say it on bottom of container...WPP or WNE, same co..i use syn half the time cuz i am anal

Switching to synthetic at high miles ONLY causes leaks if sludge in the engine is helping plug leaks. At my old shop, we had a customer with an e30 325i that switched to Redline at 125k, and he almost instantly started leaking oil all over the place (valve cover, head gasket, timing cover, etc.).

But on my old 535i, I switched over to Mobil 1 shortly after buying the car at 205k miles. Changed out the first tank of Mobil 1 after 800 miles, and it came out looking like the the sludge in the Castrol commercials. After that, ran different synthetics (mostly M1, some RP, Amsoil, & Redline) with 7500 mile OCI's. Sold the engine with 285k on it (and a couple track sessions) and it ran good as new with absolutely zero oil leaks or consumption.

I just fail to understand the "savings" of a generic oil. Store brands like NAPA/WalMart/Pep Boys whatever. Pennzoil/Valvoline/QuakerState etc. being priced the way they are at WalMart in 5qt jugs versus SuperTech is what per oil change? Maybe a couple of bucks? Am I missing something? Over the long term do the more robust add packs in the PP/QS/Val not more than make up for a couple of bucks delta? I dont get it.

Originally Posted By: GrampsintheSand
I just fail to understand the "savings" of a generic oil. Store brands like NAPA/WalMart/Pep Boys whatever. Pennzoil/Valvoline/QuakerState etc. being priced the way they are at WalMart in 5qt jugs versus SuperTech is what per oil change? Maybe a couple of bucks? Am I missing something? Over the long term do the more robust add packs in the PP/QS/Val not more than make up for a couple of bucks delta? I dont get it.

Considering most engines can go 300k+ miles on nothing but the cheapest oil, I don't see the benefit in spending an extra couple bucks.

Originally Posted By: exranger06

Considering most engines can go 300k+ miles on nothing but the cheapest oil, I don't see the benefit in spending an extra couple bucks.

I agree. And if I am going to use a synthetic why not spend $3-4 more and get PP or QS. If I'm gonna use dino oil I'd rather get one of the big 3 brands and maybe spend $1 more than ST dino. ST oil's pricing is too high to be worth using IMO.

While I am considered the "oil connesewer" (yes sewer) by some of my friends, my best friend has run vehicles on nothing but ST 5w30 and a ST filter with 3-5000 OCI's with great success. His Chevy Blazer went 285,000 miles before the fuel injection system and the AC system went bad and the cost of repair exceeded the value of the vehicle. At that time the engine was running fine and used 1 quart of oil in 5000 miles. SO no need for the ST synthetic IMO.

Do you think Warren is the same supplier for Walmart Canada's Super Tech Full Synthetic???

Originally Posted By: stubbakatt
The Super Tech synthetic is made by Warren Performance Products, a division of Warren Distribution. It's the same as their Mag 1 synthetic.

Originally Posted By: hal
Originally Posted By: exranger06

I agree. And if I am going to use a synthetic why not spend $3-4 more and get PP or QS. If I'm gonna use dino oil I'd rather get one of the big 3 brands and maybe spend $1 more than ST dino. ST oil's pricing is too high to be worth using IMO.

Depends. ST 0W-30 syn up here goes for about $6.50/quart. The only other commonly availablr 0W-30 syn is GC - which goes for $9.50+ /quart.

I too have a '98 Ranger w/4cyl (but A/T) and have run ST Synthetic (sorry, no UOA). My truck ran fine with it (no explosions, no rainbows coming out the tailpipe, etc.), but I don't think the value is there now that ST Synth is $13+.

Now that my Ranger is the low man on the totem pole, it gets $.49 Chevron Supreme (5w30) and $2 Bosch filters. Truck runs as well as ever and I haven't noticed any major changes in MPG over the years as I've switched from ST Synth to Mobil 7500 to Havoline to Chevron. In otherwords, that engine is fairly stout (if wimpy), no matter what you run in it.

The little maintenance things that did seem to matter, besides regular oil changes, were to replace the PCV valve and fuel filter. Less important, but probably beneficial too, was an AutoRX treatment I did at about 90K. But again, the Ranger seems to be a pretty reliable truck no matter how well (or negligently) you take care of it.

Good luck with your truck.

M_C

PS: I think the recommendation to run MC Blend is a great idea. Seems to be great value there...

Last edited:
I've been using ST full syn in my Explorer, CRV, and VW jetta for 2 years now and they seem to love it with 5,000 mile oci. I wish I could use it in my BMW. Every time I spring $6.50 for 0w-40 M1 EF, I look over at the STFull syn at $3.50 and could just fist. These German cars loves them some expensive oil.

26.5 mpg, finally a truck I would own!

From what I've seen Walmart ST oils are very good. And I've also read changing brands or type of oil periodically keeps an engine cleaner than using the same oil year after year.

After you switch, you may think the engine sounds different. Give the engine time to adjust before deciding if you like the new oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back