Highest ZDDP phosphorus RACING oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for the highest level of ZDDP and phosphorus racing oil that i can find. I do not need detergents as it will be only used for a few passes then dumped. looking for a multi-grade 30 maybe will consider 40 weight. All the high level oils that i found (Ex. Valvoline vr1 "racing") are 20w-50 way way to thick for my application.

Want a lot of zzdp and phosphorus to protect the solid flat tap cam in my 71 mustang. I don't want to add GM EOS to the oil i don't think that it suspends well in any oil....

Are there any API oils that have zzdp levels above 1300 ppm besides a diesel oil?

Valvoline?
Quakerstate?
Brad Penn?
amsoil?
Redline?
M1??
Penzoil?
Castrol?
Lucas?
Torco? (not the fuel company)

ect ect.

Links would be great!

Thanks

Brad Penn. You seem to have most of the good oils listed. Schaeffer also has some great oils.

45 views and noting.. What oil are you guys running in your flat tap cam applications?

I use Maxima 530MX in my racing 4wheeler. I just started and haven't had a UOA done yet, but I soon will. This is a very thin 5w30 racing oil for motocross and quads. I suspect, given Maxima's history, that this is a very robust oil.

Take a look: Link here.

Originally Posted By: buster
Mobil 1 racing oils = nominal phosphorus level of 1750 ppm

Do you know the zddp also? I would like to pick some up at my local pepboys aap napa or auto zone.

Originally Posted By: ccdhowell
I use Maxima 530MX in my racing 4wheeler. I just started and haven't had a UOA done yet, but I soon will. This is a very thin 5w30 racing oil for motocross and quads. I suspect, given Maxima's history, that this is a very robust oil.

Take a look: Link here.

HOLY PRICE BATMAN!! 15.95 per quart!!!!!

Originally Posted By: MrBigBlock
45 views and noting.. What oil are you guys running in your flat tap cam applications?

1970 GTO with Comp Hi-Torque Solid lobes (fast ramps), 350# spring pressure open. 5 years on engine, about 2000 miles per year on car going to car events, cruising etc., car goes to the track as well... maybe 8 passes per year but mostly street driven, 3.90:1 gears so about 4000 RPM at 70MPH which I run sustained for 3-4 hours occasionally when going to out of town car events, have adjusted the valves twice in 5 years only as a matter of routine maintenance. I mostly run Valvoline VR1 in straight 30 (PN VV223) when I can find it, it has more than enough ZDDP and is a street oil with full detergent pack etc. I run the 10w30 in the cooler months and for storage. Price point is around $3 / qt. When I can't find VR1 I run a DEO, usually Rotella. I also use Rotella for cam and / or engine break-in.

Originally Posted By: MrBigBlock
Want a lot of zzdp and phosphorus to protect the solid flat tap cam in my 71 mustang. I don't want to add GM EOS to the oil i don't think that it suspends well in any oil....
It's not solid zinc/phosphorus, is it?

Originally Posted By: Steve S
What is wrong with HDEOS? I used it with great results in my BB Chev 7,500 rpm boat engines when torn down.

Nothing wrong with them - great products, but even HDEO's only go up to about 1% ZDDP (1000 ppm) max nowadays (CJ).

So if he is looking for that "highest" level of ZDDP, around 2+% (2000+ ppm) - you can only get that with a true racing oil or a PCMO/HDEO with a ZDDP additive.

Last edited:
It is a mistake to think that the oil with the highest ZDDP concentration provides the best wear protection. There are many other additives involved that help or hurt valvetrain antiwear performance. Also, additives interact with each other; some synergistically and others negatively (opposite of synergy).

My vote here goes for Valvoline Racing oil. It did very well in comparitive testing by Shell during development of their racing oil, as documented in one of their patents. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1450695#Post1450695

This thread interests me, as I've been looking for an additive to boost the shelf type oil out there. Red line sounds and looks good to me. Anyone see much wrong with the break down at the begining of this thread?
As for Valvoline, I'm running VR-1. How does it stack up prior to me adding something like this Red line additive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back