Wolf's Head Super Universal Synthetic ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will be taking a trip soon with our 02 Continental, so I'm ready to do a "Pump, Dump & Fill" of the transmission, like I do every couple years, or every time I use the car for towing.

Went to a local Auto Parts Store (not AAP or AZ) where two years ago, I purchased Motorcraft Mercon-V for $2.95 a qt. Well, the price has gone way up since then. Now $4.25 for the same thing. Saw that they have AmsOil and Wolf's Head, both Synthetic. Price on the AmsOil was around $9.00 but the Wolf's Head was $3.50. (Guess which one I bought?)

Read the label on the Wolf's Head: The front label says;
Super Universal Synthetic ATF Automatic Transmission Fluid.
Traditional Automatic Transmission.
Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT).

The back label reads;
A high quality, super universal, full synthetic automatic transmission fluid for use in virtually every automatic transmission manufactured anywhere in the world. This is the one fluid that ends the confusion about what automatic transmission fluid to use in any particular vehicle because it is engineered to meet the performance requirements of every American, European, Korean, Japanese and other automotive transmissions manufactured around the world. This product is engineered to meet the performance requirements of every automatic transmission fluid including, but not limited to GM Dexron III-H, Ford Mercon-V, Mercedes Benz (Daimler Chrysler) MB 236.9, ATF+3, ATF+4, Mitsubishi SP II/III, Toyota T-IV and many others.

This dynamic new fluid is designed for use in the new continuously variable transmission (CVT) as well as the more traditional automatic transmissions, automotive power steering units and automotive hydraulic systems.

Slip-Lock performance
Ecellent anti-shudder performance
Excellent low temperature properties
Extended drain

Then went to www.wolfshead.com then clicked on "Products", then on "Universal Synthetic ATF" and read the same thing.

I still have two and a half quarts of the Motorcraft Mercon-V that I bought two years ago, so when I do the pump, dump and fill on the Continental Transmission, I will use that first, then finish up with however much Wolf's Head it takes. I'll save whats left for the day I do a pump, dump and fill on my MKZ which uses the same stuff as the Toyota
T-IV.

I am using the Amalie brand. It appears they are all the same product, just different sticker. It is being used in a 2005 Toyota Rav 4 and no complaints so far. I paid $4.71 per quart.
banana.gif
fruit.gif
driving.gif
approved.gif

i just drained/filled 4.25 qts of this stuff last evening.i have an 01 lexus rx 300 with the problematic u140f(awd) transmission.i must say,this stuff made this trans.shift/perform better than anything i put in it yet. including the overated amsoil atf.yes,i said overated! needles to say,i found my new fluid,that i will stick with as long as i`m able to get it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Camu Mahubah
So the Wolf's Head is an Amalie product? Huh, I thought Wolf's Head was made by SOPUS... learn something new everyday!

Amalie bought the Wolf's Head brand from Shell in 2006.

Guys,
Where did you find this fluid. I'd like to try this in my 01 RX-300 AWD as well. I never liked the 1-2 shift(very lazy). All the other up shifts are fine and so are the WOT down shifts.

Thanks,
CB

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Guys,
Where did you find this fluid. I'd like to try this in my 01 RX-300 AWD as well. I never liked the 1-2 shift(very lazy). All the other up shifts are fine and so are the WOT down shifts.

Thanks,
CB

man char,that is exactly how mine is.and to make matters worse,the actual toyota fluid makes it even more pronounced.that`s why up to now,i have been using the castrol import multi vehicle fluid.or the green bottle castrol high millage fluid.both worked well,but not quite as well as the wolf`s head.
to answer your question,my local car-quest sell`s it.if you cant find it anywhere,go on the amalie site.you can get it their as well.(btw) the amsoil fluid was the worst in mine.powerglide shift from 1st-2nd gear,and hunting for the rite gear at slower speeds.

Last edited:
Thanks 114, I'll be looking for this ATF...My sister-in-law has the same exact 01 RX AWD as we do and hers shifts nice and smooth everywhere and she doesn't do $#!+ as far as maintenance except oil/filter changes when she thinks about it(>7000 miles). And hers is never clean!
I change out the ATF w/ T-IV about every 18 months.

I wouldn't mix these fluids. The additive package in the Amalie/Wolf's Head is something new, and I'm not sure if another fluid with different adds would make a difference or not. (I wouldn't have bought this does-everything-somewhat/maybe-does-nothing-exactly-right fluid in the first place, but that's me.)

CVT!?

Redline, RP, Amsoil ....

Says not for use in CVT!

Hmm some good ATF ? or just lots of [censored] ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back