Clean those battery terminals!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prior to the felt pads, which work so well I don't worry about it anymore, I dripped a couple of drops of oil off the dipstick on the terminals every time I checked the oil. Worked just fine.

Will KY jelly work?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: PT1
Will KY jelly work?
grin2.gif

Not for battery protection, it's water soluable.

I actually do use it to assemble rubber car parts. especially on my Corvette because it was made in KY.

Don't put Kentucky jelly on your toast.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
A friendly reminder to clean your battery terminals as you're poking around under the hood this spring. Some baking soda paste mixed 3 parts soda to 1 part water (or a can of cola) will take care of the acid buildup nicely. Be sure to rinse well!

Cola is acidic, which seems like a poor choice for cleaning acid buildup.
grin2.gif
I would use baking soda or ammonia, those are alkaline.

I've always sprayed terminals down with white lithium grease when installing a battery. It stays on there pretty good since its waterproof. And as others have said as long as the connections are sealed from vapor, mosture, and air. You're good to go. I only have to re-coat if I happen to get carried away with a pressure washer while cleaning the engine compartment.

Originally Posted By: Jerryb
KY jelly works great, but the question had to do with battery posts.
LOL.gif

I don't know how that stuff got so popular in Kentucky. It's really bland.

I have been spraying disc break quiet on my battery terminals.
It works for me!
Found this on this site.
Generally I go with glass mat batteries after a few years of owning a new car.The OEM always leak and cause corrosion.

The battery terminal protector in a spray can is almost like undercoating, greasy and waxy. Seems about the best to spray on battery terminals. A tiny spray can with 2 felt washers at Wallymart is less than $2.00.

Originally Posted By: PT1
Will KY jelly work?
grin2.gif

If you're doing things right, you shouldn't need it!

Dielectric (silicone) grease also doesn't melt with heat from the engine compartment .. I use also it on battery terminals, rubber gaskets, o-rings, oil filter gaskets, etc .. great stuff!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back