Pennzoil Platinum have a lot of cleaning agents?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: stubbakatt
Originally Posted By: c3po
I will give you my observation, awhile back I did an oil change and added Pennzoil Platinum, when I went to change the oil it came out darker than any oil that I have used before.

I contacted Pennzoil and they said that this oil does have some robust cleaning agents.

You might even say they were "active" cleaning agents.

Nah,their secret agents!!
shocked2.gif
grin2.gif

We have a 2003 Pontiac Montana we have owned since new. It's at 87,000 miles now.

At 1500 miles, I changed the oil to Mobil 1 and a new AC filter. Since then, the oil and filter have been changed when the Oil Life Monitor indicates (varies between 6500 and 7300 miles) using AC filters. Mobil 1 was used until last Spring when Wal-Mart had none on the shelf so I swtiched to Pennzoil Platinum.

Looking through the oil filler, the rockers/springs/etc. always looked very clean. The used oil was always darker than new, but still looked good (very subject, I know).

But the first fill of PP became much darker than usual by the time I drained it. Not black, just darker amber/brown. The two subsequent drains have not been so dark and the rockers/springs/etc. look even cleaner - it honestly looks like new!

Based on my observation, there is a small buildup of dirt/varnish/whatever even with Mobil 1 since new. And Pennzoil Platinum cleans out what Mobil 1 left behind.

Originally Posted By: ron917
Based on my observation, there is a small buildup of dirt/varnish/whatever even with Mobil 1 since new. And Pennzoil Platinum cleans out what Mobil 1 left behind.

I noticed the same thing in my SVT Contour. It had M1 since birth but one run of maxlife noticeably changed the slight varnish color I could see through the oil filler. Of course the Maxlife will probably turn it another varnish color. :)

Originally Posted By: ron917

At 1500 miles, I changed the oil to Mobil 1 and a new AC filter. Since then, the oil and filter have been changed when the Oil Life Monitor indicates (varies between 6500 and 7300 miles) using AC filters. Mobil 1 was used until last Spring when Wal-Mart had none on the shelf so I swtiched to Pennzoil Platinum.

Looking through the oil filler, the rockers/springs/etc. always looked very clean. The used oil was always darker than new, but still looked good (very subject, I know).

But the first fill of PP became much darker than usual by the time I drained it. Not black, just darker amber/brown. The two subsequent drains have not been so dark and the rockers/springs/etc. look even cleaner - it honestly looks like new!

Thats exactly (and I mean exactly!) my experience, too. I used M1 exclusively in a 2006 Honda Odyssey, and with each subsequent PP change, the oil goes from very dark, to lighter, to almost "new".

I am not saying M1 is a bad oil at all. Im just verifying what Ron posted, exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back