Do K&N's make for a louder intake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, just curious about this one. my car has had a k&n on it since i bought it just over a year ago, and the car's intake has always been pretty audible. the actual intake ducts go into the fender and into the bumper so IMO it shouldnt be that loud. would switching to a paper element filter help reduce this noise? i've added aftermarket intakes on other cars before that made the intake noticeably louder, but this car still has the stock intake, just a different filter. i want your thoughts please

This seems to be a common occurrence with most vehicles, but on a lot of the forums where I see posts about intake noise, the guys usually like it.

I'm not fond of K&N intakes due to the oiling of the filter and the subsequent silicon that is sent downstream onto the MAF wires and into the engine.

keep in mind though that i dont have an aftermarket intake, just the filter. my car also doesn't use a MAF, it has a MAP sensor... but thats unrelated at the moment. the thing does a good job trapping big debris, as any filter should. but i have also become concerned lately that it may not be filtering as well as it should. after this next ARX run im doing synthetic OCI's for 7,500 miles so i want a good filter, not a loud one. yes i know, im 19 and i want my car to be quiet... call me weird
LOL.gif

YES! The k&n fipk I had on my silverado was so loud when pulling my camper that I removed it and gladly put the stock one back on.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
keep in mind though that i dont have an aftermarket intake, just the filter. my car also doesn't use a MAF, it has a MAP sensor... but thats unrelated at the moment. the thing does a good job trapping big debris, as any filter should. but i have also become concerned lately that it may not be filtering as well as it should. after this next ARX run im doing synthetic OCI's for 7,500 miles so i want a good filter, not a loud one. yes i know, im 19 and i want my car to be quiet... call me weird
LOL.gif

Exactly. Folks who have simply dropped a K&N FILTER into their vehicles have experienced increased noise since it is less restrictive.

But, are you getting less restriction at the price of more debris being sucked into the engine? UOAs here where the vehicle uses an oiled filter usually show higher levels of Si, as the oils in the filter material do get sucked into the intake manifold.

Inside the stock airbox, it makes no difference what filter is in there. Paper, K&N, foam, no filter... the intake resonance volume is controlled by all the baffles/chambers built into the stock system. Only when you remove the box and replace it with an open element cone filter and/or associated piping will the intake tone become much more audible.

Any perceived noise you hear from a drop-in K&N is just a placebo effect... it's not flowing that much more.

Last edited:
im gonna propose a challenge here... since i've been reading up about the increased levels of silicon in the oil with the k&n air filters, and since wix filters can be bought for so cheap (i like their oil filters and i hear good things about the air filters too), im gonna buy one and drop it in. even if the sound difference is null, i'll at least know the filter is doing its job and doing it well

Originally Posted By: zulu

Any perceived noise you hear from a drop-in K&N is just a placebo effect... it's not flowing that much more.

All air cleaner elements (or no element
shocked2.gif
)flow within a couple of percent of the same when installed in the same automotive air cleaner box. Any difference in sound comes from the damping and sound absorbing properties of the filter element. If you don't have a well muffled intake, you can hear a difference. Of course, the average factory intake is fairly well muffled.

Any aftermarket cone type filter will make a louder noise for any CAI. I had a AEM intake with a Dryflow filter, way too loud for my liking...sold it to some kid who thought it was pretty cool.

Originally Posted By: XS650

All air cleaner elements (or no element
shocked2.gif
)flow within a couple of percent of the same when installed in the same automotive air cleaner box. Any difference in sound comes from the damping and sound absorbing properties of the filter element. If you don't have a well muffled intake, you can hear a difference. Of course, the average factory intake is fairly well muffled.

seeing as how my intake only has one intake resonator, and is mainly hard plastic (instead of tubing, there's this huge plastic box that leads into the throttle body), i can see how it would naturally by pretty loud. so im just gonna try swapping in your everyday filter to see if it makes a difference.

Inside the stock airbox, it makes no difference what filter is in there. Paper, K&N, foam, no filter... the intake resonance volume is controlled by all the baffles/chambers built into the stock system. Only when you remove the box and replace it with an open element cone filter and/or associated piping will the intake tone become much more audible.

+1

If you really want some intake growl you gotta take off the resonator [censored].

Maybe it's just a K&N issue (cheaper quality) but with my S&B filter my silicon levels (when they didn't get spiked because of a sandblasted intake manifold) were well within universal average.

the air charge is normally silenced by a stock intake tubing's strange shapes. the filter has no effect on it. I would purchase a good dry filter. I ran k&n's but recently ditched them on both vehicles. Mileage has not suffered at all and i feel better about it after reading hi Si UOA's from other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back