High (265K) mileage 4.0 SOHC Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been away from the oil forums for a while, and am not as well read as I used to be. In any case, I've spent an hour searching and haven't seen anyone with a really high mileage 4.0 SOHC Ford engine to compare with. This is the first high mileage engine I've owned that has a fake oil pressure gauge, so I have no idea how low my pressure is. Consumption is pretty moderate, maybe 1-1.5 qt per OCI (using the oil life feature, looks to be in the 5,000 mile area).

I've been running various 5W30 conventional and HM oils up to now, but am considering splurging on M1 10W40 HM, in an effort to protect a little better, and maybe quiet things down a bit. Any thoughts?

Maxlife blend can't be beat for the money through Walmart for $14 a 5qt jug. Plus through my readings, a lot of people claim that "Mobil1 HM resumed leaks & consumption that were otherwise slowed or stopped from prior uses of Maxlife." A lot of people like AutoRX for cleaning and you may want to consider that and then switching to Maxlife in such a high mileage ride. I am still on my first OCI with Maxlife and have been fairly impressed so far as it has stopped leaks in 3 of 4 of my oil cooler line crimps on my similar to yours 4.3L V6.

I also reccommend Motorcraft filters for your ride as I have seen and heard they are a really quality filter and are best for your vehicle. Just my $.02

I didn't really consider using a quart in 5,000 miles a consumption problem on a 265,000 mile engine. Are engines and oil so good now that I should consider that abnormal?

I've always run motorcraft filters on this, and the other fords I've worked on, with a couple of exceptions when there was a good deal on other high quality filters. For the money I think its hard to beat motorcraft for Ford and AC Delco for GM cars.

I've used AutoRx before, and to be completely honest on the relatively normal cars I tried it on, I didn't see any really interesting results compared to the pain of using it.

Is M1 TDT 5W40 similar to Delvac Syn 5W40? I think I have a jug of it left from a bunch I bought on sale a long time ago.

Originally Posted By: bob555
I didn't really consider using a quart in 5,000 miles a consumption problem on a 265,000 mile engine. Are engines and oil so good now that I should consider that abnormal?

I've always run motorcraft filters on this, and the other fords I've worked on, with a couple of exceptions when there was a good deal on other high quality filters. For the money I think its hard to beat motorcraft for Ford and AC Delco for GM cars.

I've used AutoRx before, and to be completely honest on the relatively normal cars I tried it on, I didn't see any really interesting results compared to the pain of using it.

Is M1 TDT 5W40 similar to Delvac Syn 5W40? I think I have a jug of it left from a bunch I bought on sale a long time ago.

Yes, the older CI-4+ TDT is identical to the CI-4+ Delvac 1. Fantastic oil, give it a run.

Well, I just checked and only have part of a jug of Delvac 1 left, so its out. Of the walmart/autozone available oils, is M1 10W40 HM for $26/5qt a decent deal?

I can't take credit for the first 200k, but most of that was highway. I'd like to get the engine to 300k if the timing chain problems don't take it out first. Anyone know if plastic timing chain guide wear shows up on a UOA in time to do any good on the 4.0 SOHC?

Originally Posted By: bob555
Well, I just checked and only have part of a jug of Delvac 1 left, so its out. Of the walmart/autozone available oils, is M1 10W40 HM for $26/5qt a decent deal?

I can't take credit for the first 200k, but most of that was highway. I'd like to get the engine to 300k if the timing chain problems don't take it out first. Anyone know if plastic timing chain guide wear shows up on a UOA in time to do any good on the 4.0 SOHC?

Does your Walmart not have the Turbo Diesel Truck?

And no, plastic would not show up on the UOA AFAIK.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
What are you expecting to gain "in real Life" switching to syn oil?

I gained some serious cleaning. The filter I recently took off my Expedition looked like an AutoRX run.

I did, too. After 10 oil changes in 15,000 miles with Castrol GTX 10W-30, my oil was finally staying clean. It was getting black around 1000 miles.

Then I went to Rotella-T synthetic 5W-40 and it's getting black around 500 miles... now whether that is partially because it is an HDEO, I don't know. Either way, I trust RTS 5W-40 because it didn't cause a single leak and I have zero consumption in my 1986 F-150.

For a high mileage engine like that, I'd be going with a 5W-40 HDEO. Or if not an HDEO, a 40 weight in whatever you choose.

I'm sure the butt dyno thinks the new oil is 'cleaning' but in reality it is not.

Motor oil does not dissolve deposits to the point of being noticed by the human eye. Sorry but the commercials lie.

Originally Posted By: milwaukee
I'm sure the butt dyno thinks the new oil is 'cleaning' but in reality it is not.

Motor oil does not dissolve deposits to the point of being noticed by the human eye. Sorry but the commercials lie.

Go look at my oil filter pictures and then tell me that again please.

Mobil 1 is known to do cleaning and KEEP things clean. I have a 330,000Km 302 that you could eat off the insides due to that oil. It doesn't surprise me in the least that it cleaned crud out of my 5.4L.

Originally Posted By: milwaukee

Look at that imaginary crud my filter picked up during my M1 5w20 run!

motorcraft8.jpg

motorcraft10.jpg

It's obvious from the picture that the oil broke down some junk and deposited it into the filter.

As far as the OP is concerned I think a 5W30 HM oil would be fine. Using a qt of oil in 5000 miles for an engine with 265000 miles is great.

AD

Originally Posted By: duaneb9729
well then milwaukee, what made all that crud go to the filter?

Clearly the Mobil is not up to the task of lubricating his engine and is burning up and being deposited into the filter. What you see there is flame broiled Mobil 1!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back