BFGoodrich Traction T/A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody have these tires installed on their vehicle? I'm looking at one in 185/65-14 size for an '04 Lancer, and the specs look very impressive on paper.

OTOH, I'm looking for tires with these specifications:

Size: 185/65-14
Treadwear: 400+
Temperature: A
Traction: A
Load rating: 85+
Speed rating: H+

Looking on Tire Rack, the only alternative is Pirelli P6 which is equally impressive...except wet traction doesn't seem to be a strong point. Tires will never see snow, just the occasional rain/mud. If anybody has any other recommendations, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!
55.gif

Yes, I had them on my car, Was a VERY good tired at an excellent price. Good reviews on the Tire Rack too, you'll see. Very good grip, good in rain and dry, but I was really impressed with the traction in snow too. Not sure if that is what you'll need, though. But they are good. The only thing I didn't like, but not really the fault of the tire, is since they are directional tires, you cannot do the traditional rotate, so I had to go straight front to back, and my car was just the very slightest out of alignment and they wore pretty bad around 20K around the outer edges.......

The BFGoodrich T/A line of tires is the ONE tire line that I've absolutely never had a complaint with. I don't use them exclusively (Wife's PT currently has Continental Pro Contacts, which have similar ratings to the Traction T/A you posted and I love them) but they're the only line that I've had repeated sets from over a 20+ year span and literally never had a gripe. Radial T/As for the muscle cars, Touring T/As for the wife's old Eagle, All-Terrain T/As for the Jeep- all good tires.

Originally Posted By: robl
Yes, I had them on my car, Was a VERY good tired at an excellent price. Good reviews on the Tire Rack too, you'll see. Very good grip, good in rain and dry, but I was really impressed with the traction in snow too. Not sure if that is what you'll need, though. But they are good. The only thing I didn't like, but not really the fault of the tire, is since they are directional tires, you cannot do the traditional rotate, so I had to go straight front to back, and my car was just the very slightest out of alignment and they wore pretty bad around 20K around the outer edges.......

+1, even the directional tire comment, but didn't notice uneven wear until about 50K.

good stuff,
I am having nearly new goodyears taken off and replaced with these.
bf rubber is soft at low temps. gotta luv michelins secret formula!

was thinking of these for the '09 YARIS as well . Some reviews at TIRERACK complain of excessive road noise as they get higher miles . Any of you encounter that ? Do have good looking tread design ( aggressive ) . Somewhat to that of the COOPER Trendsetter SE ( discontinued ) and the MASTERCRAFT A/S IV .

Last edited:
I have a set on a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am, that is regularly driven by a 17 year old driver.

If I trust these tires with her, I'd trust them on anything.

After about 8,000 miles (with no idea how good the alignment is), no visable signs of wear, and will probably rotate them anyway at the next oil change (which should be around the 12,000 mile mark).

Will need something on a Subaru Outback Wagon soon. The Traction T/A's will be at the top of the list.

BFGoodrich Traction T/A is several years old design, I wold go with General Altimax HP which is a newer design. Many on this board like it. I would buy it for '00 E430 if they have the size that fit my car.

They ae a great tire. The BFG Traction T/A is my top 2-3 choices for car tires when it is offered in the size I need.

Quote:
Size: 185/65-14

We had this size BFG Traction T/A tires on our old 1998 Civic EX and they are great tires... just a bit buzzy at highway speeds.

I installed some Kumho Solus KR21 on my mom's car and these tires have very good grip, less expensive than the BFGoodrich and are noticeably much quieter at highway speeds.

Last edited by a moderator:
It got two to replace the Goodyear Viva tourings that were flatten in an accident. Not a bad tire, but really not any better then the Goodyears. too soon to tell but I doubt they will have the treadlife.

Keep in mind there are several different Traction TAs, T speed rated, H speed rated, and OEM. All seem to get very different reviews.

Actually, there are T, H, and V. The H and V, however seem pretty similar...
I never noticed the noise. Cant hear the tires when your going down the highway at 70 and the engine is buzzing along at 4 grand. Someone with a quieter car would have to comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks for all the input and suggestions! I'll take a look at them, and hopefully find them in the required specs locally. Then make a decision.
cool.gif

I have them on a 1999 and 2004 Camry. Excellent tire. Mine are 440 traction AA, temp A, and H speed rated. With northeast drivers, noise is the least of my worries. All weather traction is excellent. And, they saved my arse more then once with perfect response to emergency maneuvers.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
I have them on a 1999 and 2004 Camry. Excellent tire. Mine are 440 traction AA, temp A, and H speed rated. With northeast drivers, noise is the least of my worries. All weather traction is excellent. And, they saved my arse more then once with perfect response to emergency maneuvers.

H rated's here as a rule. Never noticed any noise?

I had a set of those in that exact size on my Neon and then tuned the car to turn with Poly bushings and sway bars lowering springs etc...

They lasted over 50K miles and stuck very well. Overall they were quieter than my stock Goodyear Integrity, turned harder, soaked up bumps better and stuck in snow much better too. And tat was before altering the car. For that size I highly recommend them.

THE ONLY REASON they are no longer on my car is the stock hubcaps rub on the rim protector and cause to much noise. Down the highway or turning though they were fantastic for the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back