The Best Synthetic Blend Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by salesrep:
blazerlt
quote:

No point going to blends because you never will see any synthetic benefits.

Simply not true. Premium blends can offer significant advantages over straight group II dinos.

BlazerLT, I'd like to see proof of that. I'd also like to see proof of how durablend and syntec blend are not "true blends" just because they may not use a synthetic base. Are there laws or rules I'm not aware of to be christened as a "true blend"?

If $ is an issue, I'd HIGHLY recommend SUPERTECH Synth 10w-30 HM. It works great for me in a car that I beat the **** out of. +170c OT and minimal consumptipn.

I use Schaeffer's and can also vouch that it is a good lube for around $3/qt.

However, for 2.5k OCIs there are cheaper alternatives. The Valvoline maxlife has a nice following on this board. Valvoline is constantly offering rebates on it. I don't think you can go wrong if you can get it cheaper than $3/qt. Havoline sythetic (Group III) is another good cheap alternative. The Trop Arctic might also be good.

You did not say if you have consumption problems, but older VTEC's seem to, so I would stay with a 30 weight. At 2.5k OCIs, you might not have enough consumption to cause a concern anyway.

quote:

Originally posted by Blue99:
Mobil 7500 and Schaeffer's are the only full synthetic blends, PAO and dino, that I'm aware of.

Yes the Mobil 7500 also appears to be one ot the top blend oils. But don't forget Maxlife also is a true blend, albeit only 12 to 22 percent PAO per the MSDS and not marketed as a blend. I know it does not really compare, but I had to throw it in being that I am a Valvoline fan and all that. And I think you already were aware of the PAO in Maxlife.

Schaeffers is a mostly Gp II plus and III,,,with Pao around 22% ,with a add pac that is well balanced and effective,with transparent(liquid) Moly,,,,,,BL

Why not mix your own blend? Mix Mobil 5000 5W30 and Mobil 1 5W30 EP in percentages you like
wink.gif

Brian fix
quote:

Schaeffers is a mostly Gp II plus and III,,,with Pao around 22% ,with a add pac that is well balanced and effective,with transparent(liquid) Moly,,,,,,BL

Let's not forget Penetro in addition to the moly as friction modifiers.

quote:

Originally posted by z917990:
Hello:

This is my first posting and I love this site. Here's the situation: I own a 1999 Honda Accord with the 2.3 litre I-4 VTEC with 61,000 miles. Up until the last oil change (60,000 miles), I used the oil available at the local Honda dealers, either Valvoline All-climate 5w-30 or Honda dino 5w-30 with Honda OEM filters. I had the oil changed every 2500 miles or three months, which ever came first. I have had no problems with the engine; in fact, a compression test done during the last oil change revealed that all cylinders were running at 172 PSI. There is absolutely no sludge or varnish buildup. For the last change, I switched to Valvoline Durablend 5w-30 (the Honda dealership in St. Charles, IL is kind enough to install the oil that I bring and deduct the cost of the oil from the cost of service). I have been reading a lot about Durablend, Phillips Trop-Arctic blend, Mobil 7500 etc. In your experiences, which synthetic blend oil has produced the best results, especially UOAs? If I continue to change the oil every three months (most of my driving is around town for short trips, therefore the engine heats up and cools down a lot and I will not do extended OCIs), will any of these oils give my engine more longevity? Should I save my money and my time and use whatever dino oil the dealership provides? I hope to run the car for 200,000 to 300,000 miles unless something catastrophic happens. Thank you for your response. I hope my information about my engine and the oil that I use is detailed enough.

Sincerely,
z917990

Im an all or nothing kind of guy so i would just go straight to full synthetic. Synthetic blends to me are a waste.

offtopic.gif
...but after reading thru this thread, I nominate the term "synthetic blend" as the most commonly mis-used term on the forum.
smile.gif

Mobil 7500 and Schaeffer's are the only full synthetic blends, PAO and dino, that I'm aware of.

The PAO base oil component is adding to performance in the areas of volatility, oxidation and cold crank, all very desireable.

Motorcraft/TropArtic, Valvo Durablend, Castrol Syntec Synblend, QS Synblend, etc. are actually very high quality Grp II/III dino blends.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of all the oils mentioned above.

But mention "synthetic blend" to me & I immediately think of Mobil Clean 7500 at $2.18 a quart and all the rest are simply high quality dino's ranging from $1.00 to $2.49 a quart.

I have been using M7500 with Filtech Filters in a 01 CRV and have had no problems. I havent done a UOA yet, but expect one soon
smile.gif

Actually the M7500 stopped a weeping oil pan gasket.

IMO Trop-artic at dollar tree has got to be the deal of the centry great oil at a great price. Cant wait for the uoa to roll in on this product then everyone will know. By the way this is the same as the Motorcraft. My second choice would be Durablend which is seperior to Mobil 7500.

This must be one of the easiest to answer questions ever on this site.
Dollar Tree Trop-Artic. Semi-Syn.Buy a case or two and a few good filters from your local parts store.
I know of no better deal for the $$.

The problem with the Dollar Tree Trop Artic deal is some people seem to be dissing the product on the basis of its price ("can't be any good if it's sold that cheaply"). The good thing is their dim-witted reasoning leaves more for the rest of us.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Woody:
Why not mix your own blend? Mix Mobil 5000 5W30 and Mobil 1 5W30 EP in percentages you like
wink.gif

This has kinda been my view on it also. For less than most blends you can buy and mix your own blend, with more syn than a blend has (what is it, 15-20% if bought in a bottle?)

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Second would be a home blend IF you know what you are doing. Not for amatuers.

Pablo, Could you be a little more specific? Woody's mix looks like a good start, or even a slightly thicker or thinner syn to get what your really looking for? Staying within the same brand for best results of course makes sense, but what else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back