Brand new 2006 Scion xB - What oil/filter to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning to purchase a brand new 2006 Scion xB (auto) in the next 1-2 months. It has the 1NZ-FE (1.5L) engine

I'm already thinking about what kind of oil and filters I should use.

I'd like to follow Toyota's recommendation - change oil and filter every 5,000 miles. Should I use regular dino oil or synthetic for a 5,000-mi OCI? I plan to use a 5w-30 oil (as per Toyota's recommendation)

I'd like to give it the best protection possible to prevent any sludge, varnish or contaminant buildup inside the engine. I want that engine's insides to look brand new 10 years from now (wishful thinking)
wink.gif

I was leaning more towards Mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic. It's easily available everywhere, and I can get it for about $4.15/qt if I buy a 6-qt case at Costco.

I was also planning to use either a Supertech ST4967 filter (Wal-Mart brand) or the Valucraft V4967 filter (Autozone brand). I did some reading and found out they come from the same filter manufacturer (Champion) and offer great performance at really low prices. They are also both easily available to me.

I plan to keep the car for as long as I can (7-10 years at least, maybe even more). It will be my daily driver. I live in Los Angeles, CA so we really don't experience any extreme heat or cold.

I drive about 15,000mi./year. One way to work is about 20-25 miles, although I might be moving soon, so that may be reduced in half. I travel about 30% city/70% highway, with some moderate stop and go traffic (Los Angeles traffic SUCKS
mad.gif
)

What do you guys think? Any opinions and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
smile.gif

myke
patriot.gif

The obvious question is s there a break-in period before switching to synthetic. If no, I don't see any problem going to Mobil 1 with a 5K interval, but that's changing it every 4 months which may be overkill. Maybe you could buy some Lube Control and extend the OCI to 7,500 miles and twice per year if it doesn't void your warranty. I can't see why the OCI can't be extended when using synthetic.

quote:

Originally posted by bobo:
The obvious question is s there a break-in period before switching to synthetic. If no, I don't see any problem going to Mobil 1 with a 5K interval, but that's changing it every 4 months which may be overkill. Maybe you could buy some Lube Control and extend the OCI to 7,500 miles and twice per year if it doesn't void your warranty. I can't see why the OCI can't be extended when using synthetic.

I'm well aware most engines should be broken in using regular dino oil.

I don't plan to run synthetic until well after the break-in period. I'll probably switch to synthetic somewhere between 1,500-5,000 miles.

I don't want to use any add-ons like Lube Control. I like to use whatever's easily available. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I want to stick with 5,000 mile OCIs. Just for warranty purposes and so I can sleep better at night
wink.gif

myke

[ July 12, 2005, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: IBJanky ]

Then stick with the M1 and a Toyota OEM filter.

What makes you think that 1,500 to 5,000 miles is an appropriate distance before switching to synthetic? My gut feel is it should be more like 15,000 or 20,000.

quote:

What makes you think that 1,500 to 5,000 miles is an appropriate distance before switching to synthetic? My gut feel is it should be more like 15,000 or 20,000.

That's a myth

You can switch to synthetic at any time, although some cars would benefit using dino oil during the break-in period.

myke

Then just buy a good quality dino oil if you're going to change your oil that often. And stick with an OEM filter during the warranty period. It was put on the car for a reason.

quote:

Then just buy a good quality dino oil if you're going to change your oil that often. And stick with an OEM filter during the warranty period. It was put on the car for a reason.

I've also considered using dino oil.

Can a dino oil last 5,000 miles though?

The dino oils easily available to me is Chevron Supreme and Havoline. I wonder if these would last 5,000 miles without anything added (Lube Control, etc.)

myke

I am a relative newbie but how about Castrol GTX 5W30? Cold start-up isn't a factor in LA and given your 30% city/highway split I strongly suspect it will last. After all you will be changing your oil every 4 months on average and moisture in the oil shouldn't be a problem.

quote:

I am a relative newbie but how about Castrol GTX 5W30? Cold start-up isn't a factor in LA and given your 30% city/highway split I strongly suspect it will last. After all you will be changing your oil every 4 months on average and moisture in the oil shouldn't be a problem.

I can't really get a good price on Castrol GTX. They're close to $3/qt here

If I'm gonna spend that much, I might as well just pay $1 more extra per quart and get a synthetic oil like Mobil 1 ($4/qt in bulk)

myke

toyotas love mobil 1...

dunno why but they just do, anyway I use champion lab filters on my scion tc exclusively...they work great.

That's odd I could have bought all the Castrol GTX 5W30 on sale last week at Canadian Tire for Cdn$2.99/litre plus tax and I know its cheaper by the case at Costco. We don't have all the auto parts outlets you do. And a litre is bigger than a US quart.

I take it that the Chevron Supreme and Havoline are decent oils, but I've never bought them.

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
First 3 oil changes are free from the dealer on Scion xB.

I've heard there's a 2 month wait on xBs in some areas.

Yep, I know all about the first 3 oil changes
smile.gif

Not that long of a wait here in SoCal, we have lots of Toyota/Scion dealers

myke

quote:

The darn front end is low, too low for my ramps. If you haven't been there, go to scionlife.com, lots of nuts there as well.

oh, you have an xB a well? what year?

I'm also a member at ScionLife. My name there is IBJanky as well
smile.gif

myke

quote:

'05, I just lurk over there.

I got the xB at the beginng of December, I've got 12.6k miles on it. Man, I've got to stop driving it or the warranty will be up this time next year.

How do you like it so far?

What kind oil/filter combo are you using? What OCIs?

myke

I purchased a barely used '04 xB automatic with just under 2k miles last December, but decided to trade it after just 2 1/2 months of ownership.

Although these cars have several good points (including value, interior space, and fuel economy, significant list of standard features, etc., the stiff (and I'd say almost punishing) ride qualities combined with modest engine performance and relatively poor aerodynamics aren't among them. I strongly suggest that you drive one for an extended period before taking the plunge.

Although these can be great cars for commuting and/or city use, they're less than ideal companions for highway travel at speeds over 70 mph.

I changed the oil in mine twice while I owned it (at 2K and 6K miles). Personally, I'd recommend changing the break-in oil at 1 to 1.5K, and waiting to switch over to Mobil 1 until the car has accumulated 5K miles or so.

My xB used no oil and ran fine, but after some of the initial novelty wore off I soon decided I probably wouldn't be happy with it over the long-haul.

Traded mine for an '05 Mazda 3i and haven't regretted it. I'm averaging 37 mpg with the Mazda so far (5-speed), which is slightly better than I did with the Scion. The Mazda rides, handles and looks better IMHO, although the Scion has noticeably more interior room-especially in the rear seat.

Again, I recomment you carefully consider both the xB's pros and cons carefully before you leap...

Good luck!

quote:

Originally posted by IBJanky:

quote:

I've also considered using dino oil.

Can a dino oil last 5,000 miles though?

The dino oils easily available to me is Chevron Supreme and Havoline. I wonder if these would last 5,000 miles without anything added (Lube Control, etc.)

myke

I suggest a 5k OCI with 1 qt of havoline synthetic and the rest dino. you get your own syn blend and should make 5k with no worries. or as toyotas like M1, try the mobil 7500, which performs as well as many higher priced GrpIII synthetics (i've read).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back